onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

International football

Anyone else lost interest in international football now ? I completely forgot England were playing Wales tonight until the second half. 

Don't get me wrong you can't beat a massive football tournament over the summer but that's probably more due to going the beer gardens with friends in the sunshine and lack of league football happening. 

Part of me thinks it's risky as well to do international games right now with everything going on.

Advert

For me it is all down to the crowds or rather lack of. Three players scored their first goals something to treasure forever in front of one man and his dog.

Normally i'd of stuck it on purely as it was Wales but i had no interest like yourself. Not having a crowd just isn't football.

I'm struggling to get a 'normal ' interest in ourselves never mind England.

Thought overall it was a decent performance considering Kane didn't start, wasn't match fit and there was no Sterling. We started well, that got extremely nervous for the remainder of the half. But second half we at the very least matched them, and probably should have had at least one more considering Kane missed a chance he would score 9 times out of 100. Still not convinced about Southgate as much as I like him. In no dimension is a back three that includes both Maguire and Dier ideal, and neither is a Rice/Henderson midfield two. I think we do need that 5-2-2-1 formation or whatever it is, as our centre-backs as a whole are pretty average, so we need that extra body. My best team would be something like the below, but I think Southgate see's it completely differently.

Pope

Trippier

Gomez

Coady

Maguire (if he finds form)

Chilwell

Henderson

Phillips

Grealish

Sterling

Kane

Hard to leave Alexander-Arnold out but he's unable to get forward for England as he does for Liverpool, at least against the better sides, and the defensive side of his game leaves a lot to be desired. I think Philips offers a bit more than Rice on the ball. You could also play Kane deeper than Sterling, and have Sterling play like how Son does for Spurs. Might not be a high scoring side but there would be plenty on the bench with the likes of Rashford, Sancho, Mount and Calvert-Lewin etc.

• 1 month later...

Grealish has been a breath of fresh air, have to play players of high skill who can pass a ball and create especially at international level to stand a chance of winning anything.

If there's one manager who should be given the boot it's Southgate, picking 5 - 6 defenders in a starting 11 at international level is ludicrous. Seeing the likes of Declan Rice or Harry Maguire with the ball at their feet on the edge of the D trying to choose the right option and thread a ball through with direction and weight is laughable, they screwed up time and time again during the last few games.

England have some amazing talent coming through. The biggest problem is that we're so good in some area's and so bang average in others. We genuinely have the best collection of full backs around. No other nation can boast such depth as Alexander-Arnold, James, Trippier, Walker and Lamptey, and Chilwell, Saka, Shaw, Rose and Betrand.  We're also stacked up front with Kane, Calvert-Lewin, Ings and Abraham, with Greenwood, Watkins and Nketiah also coming through. But our keepers are average and our centre-backs are nowhere near the quality of previous, such as Terry, Ferdinand, Campbell and King etc. We've also struggled in midfield but Rice is improving all the time and I think Foden and Mount will be a decent three for us in the middle of the park. As of now I'd consider this England best 11 in a 4-4-3, and I think it's geninely a pretty good, exciting side;

Pickford

James

Gomez

Maguire

Saka

Rice

Mount

Foden

Grealish

Sterling

Kane

I went for James over Alexander-Arnold simply because I think he's a better balanced player. Arnold is head and shoulders the best right back in the EPL in regards to delivery but he gets away with his lack of defensive skills in the Liverpool side, just because of good Liverpool generally are as a side. It's a toss up between Chilwell and Saka, I'd probably opt for Chilwell in the more important games or against the better opposition for his experience alone But Saka is a big talent. Pickford hasn't really done anything wrong for England despite his Everton form, and I won't opt for Dean Henderson until he's playing regularly for United or someone else.

Archived