Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

44 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Just out of interest mate you are saying Carlisle will be lucky to finish in the top 15. 2 weeks ago you and me had a charity wager when you said Harrogate would be top 10.

Harrogate came to nick it 1-0 and were more than happy with 0-0, horrible team. Carlisle came to play, possibly because of our openness , and look way better than Harrogate to me .

Just curious as to why you think Carlisle are a lot inferior to Harrogate ? 

It's only one game we can judge on but they looked far livelier and wanted to win the game rather than not lose it 

It's only my opinion. but our formation and team selection yesterday would have made the vast majority of sides in the league look much better than they actually are. All teams are going to have a couple of useful players. Yesterday we allowed there's to play while ours may as well not bothered showing up, the likes of Worrall, Rodney and Robinson.

Over the last few games in the league, the manager has lost us points.

Edited by TylerB
  • Like 1

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You’ve both got that wrong, I’m afraid. I’ve just found it in my back garden.... I live in Manchester. I think Askey told him to score in the Cerlisle goal and thought he meant Brunton Park.

There was absolutely no reason for Conlon especially to be dropped today. Not a single one. He's not going to be an 8 out of 10 every week. If he was he wouldn't be with us and playing in League Two.

Do you really think playing two in midfield and allowing Guy the freedom of the park as a result did not contribute to our defeat??

We need to stop starting Worrall and Rodney out wide. It's not working. One is badly out of form and isn't creative anyway, and the other is still raw and learning the game, and would be better as option up front if we want something a bit different. Having two wide players not doing a lot puts a lot of pressure on the likes of Conlon and Oyeleke or whoever else plays there to create for us. When Amoo is back <ovf censored> Worrall off from that wing position and consider him as a central midfield option. It will strengthen us there considering Oyeleke is never going to change and Burgess is now looking like the player we all thought we had signed from Macclesfield suddenly. Not that he can't come good again or anything, but as of yet his season has been woeful. 

Brown

Clark

Smith

Legge

Montano

Joyce

Conlon

Worrall

Amoo (when back)

McKirdy

Cullen

I believe Amoo and McKirdy will make a big difference to our lack of creativity. Putting Worrall in midfield if Oyeleke is missing will give you lots of energy and legs. If it's not happening for McKirdy then you could always put Montano there and put Fitzpatrick back into the side at left-back, which gives us pace on both flanks.

2 hours ago, jonti1969 said:

1 shot on target says it all

Early days I know, expectations are high, Askey has been given the squad he wants.

Having watched the Farrogate and Carlisle games, I'll be blunt, it was porr, very poor.

I have always said that Askey plays 'not to lose' which helped in the dark days of not so long ago.

Now, it still appears that Tom Pope is our main source of goals or link in the forward line.

Injuries don't help, but to be honest Toure and Callum Guy murdered us with positivity.

We go behind you always fear we can't get back. Get the first goal, we control the game and win  in the most.

Saying that if the pen went in...

Did you see their keeper signal to the bench when he saved it, was it so predictable that his homework paid off?

I'll be honest - we were poor, piss poor.

I haven't the energy or motivation to read the whole thread., sorry. I just wondered if Askey is perhaps struggling to deal with the good sized squad of decent players (because they are!). Maybe if he had less options he wouldn't make such wholesale changes?

Smith was a big miss, I'm sure, but the rest of the problems are largely self inflicted.

• Like 1

Advert:

What epitomised our whole performance was when from our corner at 0-1 down, we contrived to do some intricate f*** up that somehow ended up with Montano being left one on one on the half way line doing some Cruyff turn to get out of a situation of our own making. 

Going against the grain a bit here, but I didn’t think we were that bad. Yes dropping both Conlon and Joyce was a shock, and with hindsight probably a mistake, but if Rodney’s header had gone in, or if the chance had fallen to Pope, and had Pope scored the pen, which he did 9 times out of 10 last season ( not literally) or if someone had been following up from the save, we win the game.

Not time for wrist slitting just yet.

11 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Going against the grain a bit here, but I didn’t think we were that bad. Yes dropping both Conlon and Joyce was a shock, and with hindsight probably a mistake, but if Rodney’s header had gone in, or if the chance had fallen to Pope, and had Pope scored the pen, which he did 9 times out of 10 last season ( not literally) or if someone had been following up from the save, we win the game.

Not time for wrist slitting just yet.

Have to disagree. All ifs and buts. 

What was most concerning to me was the inevitability about it all.

I'd love to know if anyone on here genuinely thought that we would give it a right go in the last half hour ?

The vibe I got watching that performance was ' game over ' once they took the lead. There was no appetite shown to get back in the match .

4 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I'd love to know if anyone on here genuinely thought that we would give it a right go in the last half hour ?

The vibe I got watching that performance was ' game over ' once they took the lead. There was no appetite shown to get back in the match .

Football IS all ifs and buts  a lot of the time.

if Smith hadn’t come into contact with someone with covid.

if Gibbo hadn’t got injured last time out.if Manny wasn’t constantly injured.

if we had cleared the Ball yesterday they wouldn’t have scored.if pope scored the pen.

if Rodney hadn’t missed a sitter.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Football IS all ifs and buts  a lot of the time.

if Smith hadn’t come into contact with someone with covid.

if Gibbo hadn’t got injured last time out.if Manny wasn’t constantly injured.

if we had cleared the Ball yesterday they wouldn’t have scored.if pope scored the pen.

if Rodney hadn’t missed a sitter.

Which is precisely what I was getting at.

Rodney nor Pope scored. 

Advert:

5 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Which is precisely what I was getting at.

Rodney nor Pope scored. 

On the contrary, that was also the point I was making. If Rodney and/or Pope had scored, all ifs and buts, very fine margins between winning and losing.

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

On the contrary, that was also the point I was making. If Rodney and/or Pope had scored, all ifs and buts, very fine margins between winning and losing.

We would have said 3points without being at our best?  

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

As @Conrad added we can look back at so many incidents over the last few games that went against us, but overall I think your last paragraph hit the nail on the head, there seemed no desire or urgency or fight to get back into the game. That last half hour was played out easily by Carlisle. 

Just seen some commentary on England from Rob Green: “England are finding the answers without playing particularly well”.

That’s something we have totally failed to do over the last three games. As someone said, Carlisle saw out the last half hour very comfortably indeed. That is perhaps one of the biggest concerns, that nobody on (or indeed off) could pinpoint and exploit an area of weakness, and anybody had the desire to make something happen.

Apart Whitehead’s shot which landed on Dimensions roof, I can’t remember anything else of note in the Carlisle penalty area after the penalty.

• Like 2

Advert:

What concerned me was that both Harrogate and Carlisle imposed their style of play on us . Having said that we should have been 2-0 up anyway from 2 great chances but that was all we had, 2 chances and we took neither We need to create 5/6 good chances a game to realistically convert 2 of them ,which we haven't being doing. No goals in our last 3 league games doesn't get you promoted.

And teams that get promoted win when they play

perhaps I'm over simplyfying this but - 

it seems to me that the same team players are picked every match as long as they are fit whether or not - they are not delivering the results they are paid to do! 

Therefore bring in some of the rest - not just for one game but for 2 or 3 to give them a chance and 'kick' the regulars up the b****** 

after all can they do any worse???