onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Fosse69

Going against the grain a bit here, but I didn’t think we were that bad. Yes dropping both Conlon and Joyce was a shock, and with hindsight probably a mistake, but if Rodney’s header had gone in, or if the chance had fallen to Pope, and had Pope scored the pen, which he did 9 times out of 10 last season ( not literally) or if someone had been following up from the save, we win the game.

Not time for wrist slitting just yet.

Advert

11 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Going against the grain a bit here, but I didn’t think we were that bad. Yes dropping both Conlon and Joyce was a shock, and with hindsight probably a mistake, but if Rodney’s header had gone in, or if the chance had fallen to Pope, and had Pope scored the pen, which he did 9 times out of 10 last season ( not literally) or if someone had been following up from the save, we win the game.

Not time for wrist slitting just yet.

Have to disagree. All ifs and buts. 

What was most concerning to me was the inevitability about it all.

I'd love to know if anyone on here genuinely thought that we would give it a right go in the last half hour ?

The vibe I got watching that performance was ' game over ' once they took the lead. There was no appetite shown to get back in the match .

4 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I'd love to know if anyone on here genuinely thought that we would give it a right go in the last half hour ?

The vibe I got watching that performance was ' game over ' once they took the lead. There was no appetite shown to get back in the match .

Football IS all ifs and buts  a lot of the time.

if Smith hadn’t come into contact with someone with covid.

if Gibbo hadn’t got injured last time out.if Manny wasn’t constantly injured.

if we had cleared the Ball yesterday they wouldn’t have scored.if pope scored the pen.

if Rodney hadn’t missed a sitter.

5 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Football IS all ifs and buts  a lot of the time.

if Smith hadn’t come into contact with someone with covid.

if Gibbo hadn’t got injured last time out.if Manny wasn’t constantly injured.

if we had cleared the Ball yesterday they wouldn’t have scored.if pope scored the pen.

if Rodney hadn’t missed a sitter.

Which is precisely what I was getting at.

Rodney nor Pope scored. 

5 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Which is precisely what I was getting at.

Rodney nor Pope scored. 

On the contrary, that was also the point I was making. If Rodney and/or Pope had scored, all ifs and buts, very fine margins between winning and losing.

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

As @Conrad added we can look back at so many incidents over the last few games that went against us, but overall I think your last paragraph hit the nail on the head, there seemed no desire or urgency or fight to get back into the game. That last half hour was played out easily by Carlisle. 

Just seen some commentary on England from Rob Green: “England are finding the answers without playing particularly well”.

That’s something we have totally failed to do over the last three games. As someone said, Carlisle saw out the last half hour very comfortably indeed. That is perhaps one of the biggest concerns, that nobody on (or indeed off) could pinpoint and exploit an area of weakness, and anybody had the desire to make something happen.

Apart Whitehead’s shot which landed on Dimensions roof, I can’t remember anything else of note in the Carlisle penalty area after the penalty.

What concerned me was that both Harrogate and Carlisle imposed their style of play on us . Having said that we should have been 2-0 up anyway from 2 great chances but that was all we had, 2 chances and we took neither We need to create 5/6 good chances a game to realistically convert 2 of them ,which we haven't being doing. No goals in our last 3 league games doesn't get you promoted.

And teams that get promoted win when they play

perhaps I'm over simplyfying this but - 

it seems to me that the same team players are picked every match as long as they are fit whether or not - they are not delivering the results they are paid to do! 

Therefore bring in some of the rest - not just for one game but for 2 or 3 to give them a chance and 'kick' the regulars up the b****** 

after all can they do any worse???

Archived