onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Fosse69

4 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

So we had two chances and only one on target. Does that not suggest that we didn’t create enough?  They had 16 efforts on goal. Does that not suggest that our midfield was giving their’s far too much space??

Forget the actual numbers but their total interceptions  were far greater than ours. Does that show their need for the ball was far greater than ours. That said i am not one for statistics. I can clearly see the better team on the day. Carlilse won with ease. Decent team too. For the games ive seen this season i would put us outside the top ten. Not good enough but the best that this ' amazing squad' can do for us. I laughed at the numerous comments pre season about what a great bzlanced squzd we have, players covering every position, strength in depth. Problem is to fit them in and win a play off spot we need to play 12 /13 every game. We dont have a great , balanced 11 let alone squad players to come in and as replacements.

Advert

I’m not even convinced yet that Askey knows his best 11. Granted some positions are set, brown obviously, right back due to injury and the 2 centre half slots will be Legge and Smith. But the rest could be up for grabs,  however with players struggling like Amoo, manny and mckirdy It doesn’t look like the lads coming in are taking their chances. On top of that we have so many combinations that we could play up front and in the middle. 

I have to admit I was in the same camp that thought we did have a great squad, but these last 3 games have been a real eye-opener. Working on scoring say 70 goals over the season for promotion, where will then come from??? Are any of our strikers capable of scoring 10 let alone 20?? Who will score the midfield quota?? Worrall, historically not good for more than 5. Conlon, perhaps 3 screamers. Legge  and Smith might contribute say 6 between them, and Monty and Amoo a couple but that’s it really.

17 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I have to admit I was in the same camp that thought we did have a great squad, but these last 3 games have been a real eye-opener. Working on scoring say 70 goals over the season for promotion, where will then come from??? Are any of our strikers capable of scoring 10 let alone 20?? Who will score the midfield quota?? Worrall, historically not good for more than 5. Conlon, perhaps 3 screamers. Legge  and Smith might contribute say 6 between them, and Monty and Amoo a couple but that’s it really.

Done those numbers pre season.  Playing 4 5 1  or 4 3 3  whichever way you look at it i get to 40 goals and the i struggle. Thats why i say we need to play 12 or 13 players from the start to get more goals. After Pope, if he played up front for most of the season, the only player likely to get anywhere near double figures would be Montano. He would need to play almost every game and play wide midfield. Joyce has to play in a midfield 3 as the cover player for the back four. This leaves two wide men and two midfield players, whoever we pick, to come up with 40 plus goals for playoffs. NEVER. Not enough goals.

Didn't see the game due to personal reasons. But three games without a goal is a massive worry,  I try to keep positive but even I was surprised by that team line up. 

Still not panicking though,  this is a strange time for football and a long way to go yet. I'll continue to shout and complain about it till it happens but we need fans back in the ground , not saying it would have made a massive difference today but imagine 4,000 vale fans shouting on the team to push on. 

Askey.
He wants better performances than he's getting.
He's right.
It's his job to get the best from his team.
So whatever he says lands at his door.
Two consecutive games, his team were out thought. They were stopped from playing.
He didn't find a way to solve the problem.
A problem which has been there for most of his tenure.
Yesterday, he wasn't out thought.
He simply opened up the pitch and allowed the opposing team the freedom of the park.
Made them strong and us weak.
Strung out on the fringes, while Carlisle marched down the middle.
The players performed badly, pretty much all of them.
They were exposed and isolated, miles away from each other.
Carlisle didn't come to shut us down, but we were set up with this in mind.
This is very alarming. It seems that there was little heed to the opposition strengths.
We won at Wigan playing this way, so let's do it again!
It's the equivalent of Gareth Southgate fielding the team that beat Wales in the next game.
To date, Askey has done a good job of stabilising the team, of developing team spirit and a hard working ethos.
He keeps hitting the same limits when it comes to breaking down obdurate opponents and making successful changes at the right time.
Yesterday was possibly the worst day of his Vale career so far. There seemed to be an air of desperation about his choices.
Let's hope it's the turning point and he addresses his limitations successfully.
Going back to what he does best is, thankfully, wholly appropriate for the next two games, so hopefully, the team can regroup and build again.

14 hours ago, TylerB said:

There won't be a backlash though. Askey doesn't seem to be able to get them going and put a bit of fire in the bellies.

If we score first we'll win a lot of games this season. But as soon as we went 1 down I thought we needed a minor miracle just to take a point from this game. Why is it like this against Carlisle? Carl-<ovf censored>-isle? They will be lucky to finish top 15 this season, and they and their manager have just come to Vale Park and made us all look like right dick heads.

Just out of interest mate you are saying Carlisle will be lucky to finish in the top 15. 2 weeks ago you and me had a charity wager when you said Harrogate would be top 10.

Harrogate came to nick it 1-0 and were more than happy with 0-0, horrible team. Carlisle came to play, possibly because of our openness , and look way better than Harrogate to me .

Just curious as to why you think Carlisle are a lot inferior to Harrogate ? 

It's only one game we can judge on but they looked far livelier and wanted to win the game rather than not lose it 

I was confident of a win until I saw the line up. Some changes forced upon Askey some not and proved to be a wrong decision. He will learn from it and move on, bad day at the office but long term we do need a proven goal scorer which will be extremely difficult to find now and expensive if we do.

44 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Just out of interest mate you are saying Carlisle will be lucky to finish in the top 15. 2 weeks ago you and me had a charity wager when you said Harrogate would be top 10.

Harrogate came to nick it 1-0 and were more than happy with 0-0, horrible team. Carlisle came to play, possibly because of our openness , and look way better than Harrogate to me .

Just curious as to why you think Carlisle are a lot inferior to Harrogate ? 

It's only one game we can judge on but they looked far livelier and wanted to win the game rather than not lose it 

It's only my opinion. but our formation and team selection yesterday would have made the vast majority of sides in the league look much better than they actually are. All teams are going to have a couple of useful players. Yesterday we allowed there's to play while ours may as well not bothered showing up, the likes of Worrall, Rodney and Robinson.

Over the last few games in the league, the manager has lost us points.

We need to stop starting Worrall and Rodney out wide. It's not working. One is badly out of form and isn't creative anyway, and the other is still raw and learning the game, and would be better as option up front if we want something a bit different. Having two wide players not doing a lot puts a lot of pressure on the likes of Conlon and Oyeleke or whoever else plays there to create for us. When Amoo is back <ovf censored> Worrall off from that wing position and consider him as a central midfield option. It will strengthen us there considering Oyeleke is never going to change and Burgess is now looking like the player we all thought we had signed from Macclesfield suddenly. Not that he can't come good again or anything, but as of yet his season has been woeful. 

Brown

Clark

Smith

Legge

Montano

Joyce

Conlon

Worrall

Amoo (when back)

McKirdy

Cullen

I believe Amoo and McKirdy will make a big difference to our lack of creativity. Putting Worrall in midfield if Oyeleke is missing will give you lots of energy and legs. If it's not happening for McKirdy then you could always put Montano there and put Fitzpatrick back into the side at left-back, which gives us pace on both flanks.

2 hours ago, jonti1969 said:

1 shot on target says it all

Early days I know, expectations are high, Askey has been given the squad he wants.

Having watched the Farrogate and Carlisle games, I'll be blunt, it was porr, very poor.

I have always said that Askey plays 'not to lose' which helped in the dark days of not so long ago.

Now, it still appears that Tom Pope is our main source of goals or link in the forward line.

Injuries don't help, but to be honest Toure and Callum Guy murdered us with positivity.

We go behind you always fear we can't get back. Get the first goal, we control the game and win  in the most.

Saying that if the pen went in...

Did you see their keeper signal to the bench when he saved it, was it so predictable that his homework paid off?

I'll be honest - we were poor, piss poor.

I haven't the energy or motivation to read the whole thread., sorry. I just wondered if Askey is perhaps struggling to deal with the good sized squad of decent players (because they are!). Maybe if he had less options he wouldn't make such wholesale changes?

Smith was a big miss, I'm sure, but the rest of the problems are largely self inflicted.

What epitomised our whole performance was when from our corner at 0-1 down, we contrived to do some intricate f*** up that somehow ended up with Montano being left one on one on the half way line doing some Cruyff turn to get out of a situation of our own making. 

Archived