onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Fosse69

Advert

3 minutes ago, ClntonBoulton said:

I hope this does come back to bite me.....but whatever have we signed McKirdy for? He looks and plays like a Year 7 who is playing with Year 11's to make the numbers up.

Not really someone you wanna be bringing on when the chips are down and the team are struggling. In a side actually playing well and creating he would be a big asset.

4 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Not really someone you wanna be bringing on when the chips are down and the team are struggling. In a side actually playing well and creating he would be a big asset.

In fairness to Mckirdy he was never once given a ball in space to run at them 

Just now, Jacko51 said:

I hear Radio Stoke saying that fans were crying out for 4-4-2. Some were but tell me how many fans were calling for Burgess and Whitehead as they midfield two??

Absolutely nobody. 

You already made the point about the last home defeat was without Joyce. Hardly a coincidence. 

A strange midfield selection by JA. 

The game was way way too open even in the early stages it was end to end.

For all his critics in the past Luke Joyce is a pivotal part of the team, his dropping/ resting played a big part in us being sliced open 

Now that I've calmed down a bit, you have to say that if Pope tucks away the penalty, as he would do perhaps 8 times out of 10, then their shoulders drop and not ours, and we probably win the game by one or two. Then many of us would be saying that it's the sign of a good side that you can win when nowhere near your best. Suppose they are the fine lines and margins sometimes.

Another couple of poor results and performances though and Askey has to be asked serious questions about whether he can take us any further.

35 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

His reaction to the rebound looked dreadful unless I'm too harsh. Even when he saved it I was convinced he'd tap into the net.

To be fair I thought that same at the time.  It wasn' a great pen but the keeper has just pushed the back back out in the middle of the goal on the 6 yard line. He really should have been there to tap it in or another player react to it.

1 minute ago, Santa said:

As soon as I saw the keeper pointing and starting the mind games, I didn't fancy Pope to score.

I think the last penalty he took was against the same keeper at Stevenage.

When in doubt, <ovf censored> it as hard as you can down the middle. Even if the <ovf censored> saves it, make sure it's gonna hurt doing so.

1 minute ago, philmpv said:
3 minutes ago, Santa said:
As soon as I saw the keeper pointing and starting the mind games, I didn't fancy Pope to score.
I think the last penalty he took was against the same keeper at Stevenage.

He missed the last one he took too pre season.

Conlon should have taken it.

Oh wait...

Nice one, John.

Don’t really know where to start... 

I feared the worst when I saw the team. Worrall, Whitehead, Burgess and Rodney isn’t a midfield which is going to win you games, it’s as simple as that. I honestly question what was going through Askey’s head to drop Joyce and Conlon, who are arguably our two best midfielders. Rodney isn’t a LM, he isn’t disciplined enough and it completely kills his best attributes. I noticed on a number of occasions Rodney leaving Monty exposed by not tracking back.  Worrall was better today, but still not as good as he can be. Whitehead is woeful. I felt sorry Burgess. What he was asked to do today clearly isn’t his game. Playing a 4-4-2, for me, you have to have the right personnel in each position and we clearly didn’t have that. We desperately miss Manny in that midfield, there was no physical presence today. It’s not a coincidence that in each of the last two games Joyce hasn’t started at home we have lost. I felt as though we missed his calm presence today. Callum Guy is a good footballer, credit to him. 

Don’t think the defence did a whole lot wrong, if anything I felt sorry for them. The lack of a midfield left them completely exposed at every opportunity. I would have started with Brisley over Crookes, but I think Adam started because he’s better on the ball. 

Toothless up top, that seems to be a reoccurring theme so far this season. Pope and Theo were poor today. 

All in all, it was another very poor performance. If Rodney and Pope had both scored it could have been a completely different outcome, but once again we didn’t take our chances. Askey got it wrong today, he desperately needs to sort it out. 

3 goals from open play in 5 league games is very, very concerning. We miss a Jake Taylor type of player in the middle. Someone who is constantly looking to get a shot off. Apart from Whiteheads shot which landed in Hanley, we didn’t have an effort from someone in the midfield. 

Hopefully with the likes of Manny, Smith and Amoo to come back next week, things might be a little bit brighter. I’m not holding my breath though!

Sort it out John! We are much, much better than this. 

Good god that was awful. I like Askey a lot but he got it badly wrong today in terms of formation and personnel.

Some truly dreadful individual performances- Whitehead, Burgess, Robinson, Crookes, Rodney (albeit out of position).

Only players who came out of today with any credit today were Brown and Montano, and Conlon who did more in 25 mins than the other midfielders did all match.

Back to basics next week. 4-3-3 with high pressing. That’s when we’ve been at our best.

4 minutes ago, Vale Fan In DGardens said:

On holiday so only watched the second half on ifollow and it was clear we were not as sharp as Carlisle who deserved to win as they seemed to want it more than us which i find totally unacceptable .

Penalty missed but where was the desire from the player following it in ,it was almost like we have money on a 0-1 defeat so do not put it in .

Performances like that on the whole will close Port Vale football club it was very poor and I just wonder if behind all Carol's fantastic work in the community the club are struggling too much to keep going while no fans are allowed in .

That performance today lacked all what I associate as good .

It was lifeless 

Oh dear that is not the type of comments we need.Never mind,  you can no see how much Smith was missed today.The season is 46 matches so give them some slack.

Archived