onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Fosse69

Advert

Oh my god. How bad was that 2nd half? We looked like we had no confidence at all once the penalty was saved and had no clue how to get in to the game.

I'm sorry to say for another home game we lacked desire to get on the ball and win the 50/50 challenges. We where 2nd best all game. The players need to realise we can't just turn up and think we will win without desire, grit and determination.

If Rodney had scored or the penalty had gone in I'm sure it would have been different game but its very worrying too see our reaction to going a goal down. For the 2nd game running we have shown nothing and don't know how to put the opposition under pressure.

The lack of football intelligence in the team is astounding. Their goalie flapped at every ball in the box yet we wanted to keep trying the short one - unbelievable!

That was as bad as it gets, It may have been 1-0 but Carlisle dominated. I don’t think we played 4-4-2, more like 4-2-4. we were totally inept in midfield allowing Carlisle to dominate possession. What JA was thinking about with only Whitehead & Burgess in midfield is beyond me.  Every player was poor today so I am not going to single any one person out. My only message to all concerned is get your heads up and show some pride, that was a relegation performance today.

Regardless of systems the team has to be more flexible within the game. Particularly going forward we are very regimented. Their front 3 was much more flexible than ours when we play with a 3. Our 442 just looked predictable. One of the front 2 also has to drop into midfield at times and just didn't. It was clear we were out manned in midfield and never really did anything to even it up. I'm not sure either Robinson or Pope have that in their game.

Rodney isn't a winger in a 442, just nulifies his pace when he's playing further back. 

We'll have good and bad runs. The Salford game has suddenly become very important.

So this is the third or fourth time already this season that people have said how toothless up top. All with different strikers, including one whom most of you cry is the best striker in the league and another who seems to be able to score for any other team he plays for. Can we now agree that the issue is not the strikers, but the service. All hoofball again today. When will we learn?

Can't blame Askey for wanting to change formation after last Saturday and Tuesday. It was a risk but he compounded it by choosing Whitehead and Burgess in midfield, dropping our best defensive and best attacking midfielders, which within ten or so minutes began to look like a serious mistake. We've all had to put up with dire midfield performances over the years but that was one of the worst for a long time. We made Carlisle look like world beaters and it's the easiest three points they'll get all season. Appalling.  

Even worse, for me, if it can get any worse, is that there appears to be no leadership on the pitch. No one seemed capable of taking the game by the scruff of the neck and leading by example.  Nor did we have the physical strength to compete with another typical L2 side nor the mental alertness to win second balls or anticipate the next move. The general consensus (which I shared) that we have one of the strongest squads for a long time is beginning to look a bit hollow. We do not look anything like a winning side.

Today was absolutely awful and Askey now has more questions to answer than last week or we are going to find ourselves at the wrong end of the table. 

Time for a few sherberts - for all the wrong reasons. 

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:

So this is the third or fourth time already this season that people have said how toothless up top. All with different strikers, including one whom most of you cry is the best striker in the league and another who seems to be able to score for any other team he plays for. Can we now agree that the issue is not the strikers, but the service. All hoofball again today. When will we learn?

Having the currently useless Worrall on one side and a raw kid still learning the game and out of his favourite position on the other is a big part of the reason why.

Well, he’s tried something different with Robinson and Pope up front, not really one dimensional in that respect. Plenty of possession but balls into the box poor quality and in dangerous areas afraid to shoot. Had some opportunities early in the first half when t looked a matter of time before we scored but very wasteful and from 20 mins in they got complete control.  Not sure what’s happened to Worrall but he was poor again, maybe Whitehead had done enough to deserve a chance but he blew it for me and Burgess hasn’t done enough for a few games now. To be fair, Conlon was quiet at Morecambe and they targetted Joyce successfully but with hindisght they maybe should have started today. All a bit of a reality check after the Exeter performance. Rodney maybe not flexible enough to play midfield, also maybe our best striking option. Defence messed about with two changes, not sure why he took Brisley out, though it was Legge looked dodgier today than Crookes. Oh dear, I’m a bit depressed.

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

Biggest issue is neither Burgess or Whitehead are defensive minded. Had we had Joyce and Colon on I think we would look less exposed at times in midfield. Having an almost complete new defence today is far from ideal also don’t forget.

The match stats show 3 interception by us and 25 by them. A combination of poor passing by us and them being a lot sharper.  Our midfield seemed all too easy to get past with little effort to tackle.  

Archived