onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FLT G2 Wigan Athletic v Port Vale

Fosse69

Worried more so about the fragility of some players, seems to be the same ones always, you must start asking questions of the back room team in situations like this, it can’t be any coincidence that the same players time after time, break down so soon after they are apparently ‘fit to play’

Something doesn’t stack up for me.

We do need reinforcements it seems

Advert

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

He seems as intelligent enough footballer to be able to not look like a bomb scare there. Luckily Carlisle with all due respect aren't likely to be one of the better sides we will play this season.

Who are we actually missing then on Saturday? Smith, Mills, Gibbons, Oyeleke, McKirdy and Amoo? Anyone else?!

5,000 in the stands?

Positives tonight were the back 4, in particular gibbo and Monty who were both excellent. Worrall was like we know he can play. Burgess was much better as well. Hurst put in a real shift too. Up front Robinson took his goals really well and Pope was fantastic in his hold up and link up play. We created some very good chances, played some good football and looked a threat as well. It just goes to show that we can play a different way. 

Negatives were the 2 injuries. Amoos after only a couple of minutes is a worry after his previous muscle injury. But I think that Gibbos is a bigger blow and even watching the match with the radio commentary on you can tell what a big deal it was when he went off and what he brings to the team. Also given the fact that prior to tonight’s game we had 3 players who can play left back and only one available who can play right back for Saturdays game then I think we substituted the wrong full back tonight. Hindsight is easy though isn’t it.  Add to that Manny, McKirdy, Mills and also prior to today monty with muscle injuries then that’s a concern that we’re picking up so many.  

6 hours ago, valefan16 said:

To be fair the muscle injuries are more likely down to the huge turnaround in games after a long close season than a concern with the squad and it’s not ideal. Looks like Carlisle have been hit hard with injuries and two international call ups too.

Don't think you can attribute that to the Amoo injury as he has barely featured.

Was it Plymouth last season where Atkinson filled in at right back and we had made 3 subs by about the 25th minute ?

Really have no idea what JA will come up with but of all the suggestions a wing back looks a one off solution for me.

Don't envisage ( or don't want to envisage ) Fitzpatrick or Brisley as a RB.

Maybe Worrall and Montano on each side purely on energy to get up and down.

A relatively straight forward win last night. It was good to see the likes of Crookes, Pope, Hurst, Monty and Robinson get a run out. I was very impressed with Hurst, he really did run his socks off. Tidy up his final product and he could be a useful option for us. I think Robinson has got the shirt for Saturday after that brace. 

18 hours ago, TylerB said:

How about a 3-5-2 wing-back formation? Wozza and Monty as the flying wings backs. Legge, Brisley and Crooks as the back three.

Brown

Legge

Brisley

Crooks

Worrall

Montano

Joyce

Whitehead

Conlon

Rodney

Robinson

Amoo and Pope to wreak havoc as subs in the 2nd half if and when required.

Like the look of this TB very attacking and surely will create plenty of goal scoring opportunities. Lets frighten teams with pace and attacking drive, not with aimless possession.  

352 is decent option but my reservation would be the mobility of Brisley in a back 3. I would be very concerned seeing him and Legge pulled out wide to defend the gaps left by a wing back. If the 3 was Smith,Legge & Crookes then I think it would be a useful formation.

My preference would stick to a back 4. I think we would be better served with Wozza to fill in there for a home game and have a winger in front of him. I would probably go with Monty. Some might argue thats two players out of position but I thin it would work. You would have Monty cutting inside with Wozz on the overlap. I think Monty would be more disciplined to help Wozz defensively than other options.

I'm also praying for Mitch!

If we play a 3-5-2 then at least one of the three has to be a ball player. Three central defenders plus Luke Joyce as a holding midfielder isn't great, we found that out under Aspin.

Given the talk about Joyce being marked out of games, I'd be interested to see what would happen if he dropped in to make a three from time to time when we're in possession. Would the opposition continue their press, only higher up the pitch?

Archived