onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FLT G2 Wigan Athletic v Port Vale

Fosse69

The 2nd trophy game brings us back to mid-week games after a break, they  will soon be a regular feature until Mid- November Corona virus permitting.  Ownerless Wigan improving with 2 league wins after 2 defeats, but what will either team use this fixture for? Winning bonuses come in handy, time to rest or improve the match fitness of players. In our case improve our attacking edge, perhaps play 2 strikers, Robo and Pope. At least not likely to come up against a 10 man defence, although difficult to avoid the rain, and covid-19 always the unknown factor .  

Advert

The priority is to give players who are short of match fitness a competitive game, nice as it would be to progress.

So, the likes of Crookes, Monty, Pope, Robinson, Amoo, Whitehead, etc, should all play.

As I said a month ago you could easily make out a case for us fielding just as good a team from players who were not on the pitch on Saturday - especially in the final third.

Given the result yesterday, I would use this game as an opportunity to try a few things they we could utilise in the league. There is no point playing Hurst or Dan TS, as we know they are going out on loan. 

Visser

Gibbons  Brisley Crookes Monty

Worrall  Manny (if fit) Whitehead

Amoo  Rodney/Pope McKirdy

My thinking is let’s see if Worrall is a good option on the right of a 3 and if Rodney or Pope look better in the lone striker role than Cullen/Robinson. Also, I think Manny could be a good option as DM in games where opponents put 10 men behind the ball. If fit of course! If not, then try Whitehead as DM and Conlon plays. 

They need to play themselves back into form, so some of the regulars need to play to give us an idea if this type of set-up would work in a league game. 

14 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Given the result yesterday, I would use this game as an opportunity to try a few things they we could utilise in the league. There is no point playing Hurst or Dan TS, as we know they are going out on loan. 

Visser

My thinking is let’s see if Worrall is a good option on the right of a 3 and if Rodney or Pope look better in the lone striker role than Cullen/Robinson. Also, I think Manny could be a good option as DM in games where opponents put 10 men behind the ball. If fit of course! If not, then try Whitehead as DM and Conlon plays. 

They need to play themselves back into form, so some of the regulars need to play to give us an idea if this type of set-up would work in a league game. 

Interesting call to use Worrall in that roll. He would certainly add energy and ball carrying to the midfield.

Similarly, Manny if fit (is that his name now?) springs attacks quickly and directly. I wonder whether the roll would also keep him injury free, as it's a little less demanding.

Pope needs game time, as does Theo, but Rodney looks a mouth watering prospect as a central striker.

McKirdy/ Monty on the left. Wow. What an abundance of riches we have.

Feeling better already.

Great post 😃

I know we are going make something like 8 changes to our line up yesterday I just want us try a different formation go 442. We may have to play hurst and trickett smith so that teams can see what they are getting when we send them out on loan. 

Visser

Gibbons

Montano 

Crookes 

Brisley 

Trickett smith 

Whitehead 

Amoo 

Pope 

Robinson 

Mckirdy 

52 minutes ago, MBE said:

This should be a great opportunity for the lads not starting to stake a place considering the last two lacklustre performances. Time to see if our squad is as good as we think.

Our squad won't be an issue, but the tactics and formations might.

I can only see JA and Co using the 1 up front system again and the poor person who has that role will be battered by 2 defenders all game.  He will be subbed in the 70th minute and the same will happen to him.  Teams have already sussed out JA and Co's tactics.  

This is a good chance for the fringe players to push for a 1st team role next saturday.

We wait to see what team he puts out.  

On 04/10/2020 at 14:52, Boslem's Brazil said:

Visser

Don't think he will play Manny even if he's fit because it's too much of a risk ahead of the Carlisle game. It would still work though if you played Whitehead in the middle and Hurst on the left. Monty and Hurst would also make a better combination for driving down the left flank as that's not really how Whitehead plays.

Well worth a try but who knows if it's too adventurous for JA.

23 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I’d usually swap everything round for one of these games. However after the last two showings, I’d pick the strongest 11 we possibly can and get practicing some creativity. Win or lose let’s get used to creating some opportunities. 

That makes a lot of sense. If we did go that way, I’ll try the following: 

Brown

Gibbons  Legge  Crookes  Monty

Manny  Conlon

Amoo     McKirdy    Worrall 

Rodney

Or as a bit of the throwback to attributes from 2013, the below. Pace down the wings, someone in the hole to create, and a target man to hold it all together. 

Brown

Gibbons Legge Brisley Monty

Whitehead  Conlon

Amoo   McKirdy   Rodney

Pope   

All depends on injuries (Smith being out) and form, but we do have options. 

Archived