onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Steve Bruce : tosser

Mario

3 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

So why do you support Vale, Darren?

Because my dad took me as a kid and it is the main part of my social life.

We don't expect or feel entitled to do anything unlike Newcastle who purport to be a massive club who deserve more for the fans.

Newcastle are huge, so are Leeds, Sheff Wed, Forest, Everton, Villa ,Derby you could argue.

All these clubs say that they are big clubs, West Ham another for the list.

The respective trophy cabinets for all of these clubs show diddly squat for billions of pounds spent.

At Vale i don't feel entitled to anything, we haven't got the proverbial pot to pee in and life of a lower league fan is far more enjoyable in my opinion than some tourist filming a penalty to put on Snapchat instead of actually celebrating the goal.

All of these so called ' big clubs ' have huge fan bases and their away support for distances travelled by both Newcastle and Sunderland is phenomenal , however they meander from 10th to 17th without any hope of doing anything in the closed shop of the elite top 6.

Newcastle in March ? Had an absolutely golden opportunity to reach an FA Cup semi final and Bruce played 10 behind the ball at home to Man City, they had one golden chance for Gayle i think and went out with a whimper having barely crossed the half way line. That is poor beyond belief as he had no faith in his players to beat them. Think City lost 10 games last season including to the likes of Southampton who are a similar mid to lower table team. Can't comment what the fans thought of that display. 

Yet you hear fans saying a club our size should be winning cups, Leagues etc.

I support Vale because it is my local club and i have a very good social life out of it ( or did pre-covid ) i do not feel entitled or expect to win anything. No Vale fan i know suffers from delusions of grandeur, that can't be said of Newcastle fans nor fans of some of the other clubs i have mentioned.

Advert

Darren, you support Vale for the same reason I support Newcastle - it is your local team.  It will be 60 years in March since I saw my first game at SJP and I still regard them as my team.  If someone was bad mouthing Vale you would jump to their defence.  Why am I not allowed to do the same for Newcastle?  You ask why I make jokes about Sunderland - for the same reason you make jokes about Stoke. 

I became a Vale fan through marriage and have had a season ticket ever since.  But that hasn't meant that I have lost my support for Newcastle.  And this commonly held belief in the media that Newcastle fans have this feeling of entitlement is absolute garbage.  The fans know the club is aiming for mediocrity each season and while Ashley is there, they know that's all they'll get.  But look at the 10 years before Ashley arrived and you will see that the club is capable of so much more than they are achieving at the moment.  Newcastle fans feel now like Vale fans did under our previous owner.  They don't ask for a club that wins everything, they just ask for a club that tries and under Ashley it hasn't.

32 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Darren, you support Vale for the same reason I support Newcastle - it is your local team.  It will be 60 years in March since I saw my first game at SJP and I still regard them as my team.  If someone was bad mouthing Vale you would jump to their defence.  Why am I not allowed to do the same for Newcastle?  You ask why I make jokes about Sunderland - for the same reason you make jokes about Stoke. 

I became a Vale fan through marriage and have had a season ticket ever since.  But that hasn't meant that I have lost my support for Newcastle.  And this commonly held belief in the media that Newcastle fans have this feeling of entitlement is absolute garbage.  The fans know the club is aiming for mediocrity each season and while Ashley is there, they know that's all they'll get.  But look at the 10 years before Ashley arrived and you will see that the club is capable of so much more than they are achieving at the moment.  Newcastle fans feel now like Vale fans did under our previous owner.  They don't ask for a club that wins everything, they just ask for a club that tries and under Ashley it hasn't.

Some very valid points there. I don't know much about them ( obviously ) as my gaffe on Almiron and Joelinton proved.

We'll agree to disagree a bit about the entitlement part, i've often heard fans on the radio bemoaning that they should be this they should be that.

Sadly now the footballing world revolves around 6 or 7 at the top with the rest vying for 8th to 17th. That isn't the fault of Newcastle, Southampton, West Ham or whoever, just the riches at the top echelons are ridiculous.

I can't or won't speculate on how a club averaging about 50 odd thousand has stagnated because i don't know the ins and outs.

I know the animosity towards Ashley but he has spent a fortune recently just the two aforementioned players and Callum Wilsom is 80 million , so he has put money in ?

I do feel that they have become a nothing club along with the other midtable teams, unfortunately the Philip Albert and Ginola glory days seem a distant memory. 

And for good measure, i'm not even sure how it came about but i was in the Newcastle end when they murdered Stoke 4-0 in a League cup tie at the Victoria Ground. Can't imagine it was pay on the night but i was in the away end as Ginola tore the full back a new one. They had a song about Philip Albert to the tune of Rupert the Bear !!! 

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I'm referring to trophies or actually doing anything of note.

My crowd is bigger than your crowd means nothing, if it did Vale would be guaranteed top 6 every season and not lose to Morecambe and Macclesfield etc.

What i should have really said was that a club the size of Newcastle with its massive support, has massive potential to be one of the top clubs in the country. Its all down to how it's run and like us in some our of recent previous owners that has not been run very well.

54 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Some very valid points there. I don't know much about them ( obviously ) as my gaffe on Almiron and Joelinton proved.

We'll agree to disagree a bit about the entitlement part, i've often heard fans on the radio bemoaning that they should be this they should be that.

Sadly now the footballing world revolves around 6 or 7 at the top with the rest vying for 8th to 17th. That isn't the fault of Newcastle, Southampton, West Ham or whoever, just the riches at the top echelons are ridiculous.

I can't or won't speculate on how a club averaging about 50 odd thousand has stagnated because i don't know the ins and outs.

I know the animosity towards Ashley but he has spent a fortune recently just the two aforementioned players and Callum Wilsom is 80 million , so he has put money in ?

I do feel that they have become a nothing club along with the other midtable teams, unfortunately the Philip Albert and Ginola glory days seem a distant memory. 

And for good measure, i'm not even sure how it came about but i was in the Newcastle end when they murdered Stoke 4-0 in a League cup tie at the Victoria Ground. Can't imagine it was pay on the night but i was in the away end as Ginola tore the full back a new one. They had a song about Philip Albert to the tune of Rupert the Bear !!! 

I was at that Stoke game, Darren. A hugely entertaining evening made even better by the attempts by Stokies at work the following day to justify their performance!!

6 hours ago, TheSage said:

I think that's a fair point.

And facts are important. Views and opinions vary, as they will, but facts don't change.

Bruce, like all Premier League managers, undoubtedly splits opinion, but as far as I can see from the original post days ago he did appear to want to help lower league clubs while recognising that his first duty is closer to home.

Personally, he isn't my cup of tea.  I'm unsure why. It's funny how you take a like or instant dislike to a manager. He seems to have had a lot of clubs in a very short space of time but has had a good career, no doubt about that.

Is he a better writer than manager? Didn't he write some books about management?

Didn't he write some very odd, very awful crime fiction with a football theme?

6 hours ago, darren1810 said:

, unfortunately the Philip Albert and Ginola glory days seem a distant memory. 

I know that some people bemoan fans having "second teams", but Newcastle would be mine. This goes back to my hero Gordon Lee (personal reasons & Vale connections) 

But in the era of the above mentioned players, Newcastle were without doubt a fantastic team to watch. One thing from that era in Newcastle's history always sticks with me. 1

A TV interviewer asked Keegan "what was his secret" to Newcastle's sensational style. His reply was "no secret. Just buy good players" 

Subsequently, many players who played under Keegan have openly said that he basically didn't have a clue. No tactics, no training drills, nothing. But what a team he put on the pitch! 

It just reiterates what I and many others have said many, many times before. Football is not rocket science. 

Two great NE clubs with fantastic fans who perhaps deserve more judging by their attendances but it doesn't work like that.Winning trophies is all about ownership and management and until teams like Newcastle,Sunderland.Everton and Spurs get their act together they'll all go another decade without winning anything.

15 minutes ago, For Us All said:

Two great NE clubs with fantastic fans who perhaps deserve more judging by their attendances but it doesn't work like that.Winning trophies is all about ownership and management and until teams like Newcastle,Sunderland.Everton and Spurs get their act together they'll all go another decade without winning anything.

It is all about having an unlimited supply of money,  taking away star players off teams that dare to challenge the closed shop in the Prem.

Archived