onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Leon Legge MBE

TylerB

This man deserves his own thread I feel. Like fine wine he just gets better and better. There can't be a better centre-back in the league, although Nathan Smith pushes him close! To be fair I've seen glaciers move quicker, but his intelligence and reading of the game means he's rarely beaten for pace by quick strikers. He comes up against some big, ugly units, such as the two sloths up front for Harrogate yesterday, but he wins header after after., game after game Also seems a top bloke too and someone that genuinely enjoys pulling on the shirt which is a bonus. But in Brown, the two centre-backs and a fit Oyeleke we 100% have a promotion winning spine to the team.

Advert

He does deserve his own thread. A massive character both on and off the pitch. 

I was only thinking today about how good he's been. Obviously there were some fabulous figures under Rudge but in the post-Rudge era I would say Leon would definitely get into my all-time starting XI.

I would only add one thing though - for me the promotion winning spine is Brown, Smith, Legge and Joyce. I think Luke has also been massively influential this season.

It's also worth repeating for those berating Robinson that Legge and Joyce took a season to settle in. Joyce, for instance, was really off the pace in his first season before he found his feet.

It's not surprising when you move clubs - you have to potentially move home, your family, work with new coaches and so on - but it shows what can happen if clubs stick with players and I do think rather than ten games (or ten minutes in some cases) we really need to give players the best part of a season to settle in before we judge (or in some cases castigate) them. We're lucky in that this season the majority of our squad have been with us for a season or more and are all settled in. We are getting the benefits from that continuity.

26 minutes ago, robf said:

He does deserve his own thread. A massive character both on and off the pitch. 

I was only thinking today about how good he's been. Obviously there were some fabulous figures under Rudge but in the post-Rudge era I would say Leon would definitely get into my all-time starting XI.

I would only add one thing though - for me the promotion winning spine is Brown, Smith, Legge and Joyce. I think Luke has also been massively influential this season.

It's also worth repeating for those berating Robinson that Legge and Joyce took a season to settle in. Joyce, for instance, was really off the pace in his first season before he found his feet.

It's not surprising when you move clubs - you have to potentially move home, your family, work with new coaches and so on - but it shows what can happen if clubs stick with players and I do think rather than ten games (or ten minutes in some cases) we really need to give players the best part of a season to settle in before we judge (or in some cases castigate) them. We're lucky in that this season the majority of our squad have been with us for a season or more and are all settled in. We are getting the benefits from that continuity.

Yeah, Joyce is a big part of what we're trying to do. I wasn't a big fan of him, like many, originally as he plays at his own pace. But with legs around him he's a quality, experienced player at this level, and the type every side needs. Oyeleke is our best midfielder if he can get himself right, but it's not fair on Conlon not to give him a mention because he's come on in leaps and bounds and has become an important player for us.

3 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Yeah, Joyce is a big part of what we're trying to do. I wasn't a big fan of him, like many, originally as he plays at his own pace. But with legs around him he's a quality, experienced player at this level, and the type every side needs. Oyeleke is our best midfielder if he can get himself right, but it's not fair on Conlon not to give him a mention because he's come on in leaps and bounds and has become an important player for us.

True. We've got so many options in midfield. Burgess was bang in form last season but isn't in the picture at the moment. I like the look of Whitehead and he can't get a regular start either. That's due to the form of Joyce, Oyeleke and Conlon who look superb at the moment. Conlon has had a cracking start to the season, second only to Legge in my opinion.

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, valeparklife said:

We need to manage him better.

Unwise to expect him to maintain those early season levels for 50+ games at 35 years old.

Needs to rotate with Brisley.

The lad is a credit to the game. As you say we need to be very careful with him too,as he has underlying health issues that he ,luckily,manages very well.Leon and Smith,on there day,are one of the best partnerships in the division.We should  build on the vast experience of the seasoned players and add few around them,as Adams did,to enabke us to progress further. A decent left back is glaring us in the face.

2 hours ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

The lad is a credit to the game. As you say we need to be very careful with him too,as he has underlying health issues that he ,luckily,manages very well.Leon and Smith,on there day,are one of the best partnerships in the division.We should  build on the vast experience of the seasoned players and add few around them,as Adams did,to enabke us to progress further. A decent left back is glaring us in the face.

According to some on here we’ve got the best goalkeeper the best centre backs and the best striker in the league , then why ain’t we top 

Archived