Match Thread: Morecambe v Port Vale

44 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

Fitzpatrick was not the reason we lost yesterday’s game whilst he was far from our worst performer. Four players who need to ask whether they did their best yesterday are Worrell, Burgess, Conlon and Cullen. 
All teams will lose games the important thing now is can we put it right on Saturday. We’ll know by the end of this month where we are at as we have upcoming games v Salford, Cambridge and Cheltenham and hopefully, we will be more creative in these games than yesterday.

We're all aware we will lose games here and there. But it was the manner in how we lost it. We weren't great against Exeter but got the result with some fortune. We were very ordinary against Harrowgate but I preferred to give them credit for being organised and working to a game plan. But there was little excuse for that shower yesterday. I expect is to be bang it it and put a few past Carlisle. If we struggle in that game too then we really have to start looking at how the team is set up, and the tactics, which the manager is responsible for both.

For me we can't continue to play this 4-3-3 every game with Cullen up top and Worrall as one of the wide men given the task to being our main creator. Against the better sides, sure, but against lesser sides that will just get behind the ball and lump it forward and hope something breaks for them, we need two up top.

Edited by TylerB
  • Like 2

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Again very poor. Should really have been 0-0 but for the awful refereeing decision.  But we are not creating anything at all and that's 2 weeks in a row we've been pretty dreadful. We o

Not sure why Fitzpatrick has been a bit of a scapegoat, even to the point that people want to see RCG in the side. Someone who’s done nothing for us and is totally unproven.

If we keep pumping aerial balls up to Cullen like we did against Harrogate, the lad will have no chance and the ball will be just coming back. Pope ball is not his strength.  Play in and around him an

Posted Images

If this was a one off, I'd be happy to view it as a blip.

Someone above likened it to Macc, roughly 12 months ago.

It is, and results last season, and this, clearly demonstrate that we have not found a way to play when we are the better team.

Polar opposite to games against teams who come out and play, so we press high and stop them playing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soothsayer said:

Fitzpatrick was not the reason we lost yesterday’s game whilst he was far from our worst performer. Four players who need to ask whether they did their best yesterday are Worrell, Burgess, Conlon and Cullen. 
All teams will lose games the important thing now is can we put it right on Saturday. We’ll know by the end of this month where we are at as we have upcoming games v Salford, Cambridge and Cheltenham and hopefully, we will be more creative in these games than yesterday.

Not sure why Fitzpatrick has been a bit of a scapegoat, even to the point that people want to see RCG in the side. Someone who’s done nothing for us and is totally unproven.

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 6

On 03/10/2020 at 14:20, TylerB said:

What creative passing? I don’t think for all his goals he had an assist to his name! I’d have Taylor back for his goal threat but let’s not try to make him out to be a player he wasn’t and isn’t.

Bit harsh that, describes himself as a ball playing midfield player and I can remember many phenomenal pieces of skill and passing as well as goals from him which is why I rate him so highly and presumably why the club tried to sign and pay a fee for him.

Just one example at 56", sublime pass to Amoo which led to Vale's goal vs Cheltenham.

They love a good scapegoat on here, wouldn’t be the same without one.
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Bit harsh that, describes himself as a ball playing midfield player and I can remember many phenomenal pieces of skill and passing as well as goals from him which is why I rate him so highly and presumably why the club tried to sign and pay a fee for him.

Just one example at 56", sublime pass to Amoo which led to Vale's goal vs Cheltenham.

He obviously inspired Sunny to a 0-2 defeat against Tranmere yesterday. 

13 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Regardless of the video, I still stand by my point that he isn't creative. That doesn't mean he's not capable of the odd assist. Could we do with his goal threat from midfield? Absolutely. But I believe he hit a purple patch for us and won't score anything like as many going forward. Let's see how he fairs for Scunny this season. If he hits double figures again I'll be happy to hold my hands up!

Edited by TylerB

21 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Just play McKirdy in that role then. 

When Oyeleke is out, which will be more often that not sadly, I would seriously consider Worrall as one of the three midfielders with the task of getting forward and using his engine to good effect. McKirdy on one side, Amoo on the other, and then you have a choice of 4 forwards for the lone role if Askey is sticking to his 4-3-3. But that would give us a little more creativity and much more of a threat, in my opinion. As will playing Montano at left-back over Fitzpatrick once back.

Brown

Gibbons, Legge, Smith, Montano

Worrall/Oyeleke Joyce Conlon

Amoo McKirdy

Cullen/Robinson/Rodney/Pope

Promotion. You're welcome, John.

Edited by TylerB

7 hours ago, TylerB said:

When Oyeleke is out, which will be more often that not sadly, I would seriously consider Worrall as one of the three midfielders with the task of getting forward and using his engine to good effect. McKirdy on one side, Amoo on the other, and then you have a choice of 4 forwards for the lone role if Askey is sticking to his 4-3-3. But that would give us a little more creativity and much more of a threat, in my opinion. As will playing Montano at left-back over Fitzpatrick once back.

Brown

Gibbons, Legge, Smith, Montano

Worrall/Oyeleke Joyce Conlon

Amoo McKirdy

Cullen/Robinson/Rodney/Pope

Promotion. You're welcome, John.

Montano will get forward and overlap far more than Fitz that's for sure, but are Amoo and McKirdy the answer?  The wide men, whoever's selected, have got to do way better than Saturday.  Beat their man more often, better quality on the crosses and, maybe Rodney aside, get more shots off.  Having said this, from my perspective, it doesn't matter who plays where, if we don't move the ball far quicker when in possession the next game will look much the same as Saturdays, because the opposition will now know the score and have way too much time to regain their shape.  Maybe playing Worrall more centrally would give us some legs in the middle, I don't know, but I think this is what Burgess gave us last season, sadly he hasn't managed to recapture that form yet.  Still early days though.

The ball needs to spend a lot more time in and around the opposition box than it has done in the last couple of games.  We're playing keep ball on the halfway line rather than in and around the edge of the opposition 18yd box.  Who knows, if we'd have got the ball in the box a bit more it might have been us winning the penalty.  We may also have given Conlon the chance to tee up a couple more direct free kicks.

The frustrating thing was that whilst Harrogate really worked hard to stifle us, Morecambe didn't have to.

The games gone now so hopefully lessons can be learned and we can start on another unbeaten run.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Think I’m living in mr bowers head rent free 🤣🤣🤣

Feel free to get in touch. If you have any feedback just message me. I'd rather hear what you have to say than just ignore anything. Entirely down to you 👍🏻

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

I mean I said what I wanted to say - stick to the football just some friendly advice 🤣 that’s what sky and high level bbc commentators do 

If I’m honest it comes across like you are scared to speak to the bloke.

Classic keyboard warrior approach.

• Like 2