Match Thread: Morecambe v Port Vale

I commented regarding our negative approach to the Carabao Cup, when it was likely to lead to a game the next round against Everton. Apparently we took this approach to concentrate on the league when we’d won one game and we’re going to face Exeter away in our next game and got a fantastic result.

JA has his team and psychologically tells the team that no one will walk straight back into the first team. I’d suggest that TP needs to be put straight back into the starting line up instead if playing tippy tappy football. Stats which show lots of possession and not scoring looks so negative. Opposition defences don’t want to have to deal with TP. 

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Again very poor. Should really have been 0-0 but for the awful refereeing decision.  But we are not creating anything at all and that's 2 weeks in a row we've been pretty dreadful. We o

Not sure why Fitzpatrick has been a bit of a scapegoat, even to the point that people want to see RCG in the side. Someone who’s done nothing for us and is totally unproven.

If we keep pumping aerial balls up to Cullen like we did against Harrogate, the lad will have no chance and the ball will be just coming back. Pope ball is not his strength.  Play in and around him an

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Paul6754 said:

Sickener for Vale, Morecambe's game plan seemed to be keep it tight, fall over at every opportunity and nick one if possible and it worked.

I'm a John Askey fan but couldn't understand the substitutions when Vale went behind, not many goals in the Vale team that finished the game today. 

But they were our tactics too. Clearly Askey was hopeful that either a Morecambe player would make a mistake and we would capitalise or someone like Conlon world score a worldie and nick us the game. If you want to start the game like we did then fine. Going in 0-0 I wasn't too dissapointed as I very much expected us to get better in the second half and create a few things. But that never happened, because Askey never changed things other than personnel. Everything was the same and like for like, and Morecambe never had to second guess anything for a single moment. It's beyond belief that we didn't go 4-4-2 and just kept on trying the same thing that clearly wasn't working. Players can have bad games and I suppose we just have to say that Askey had a shocker today. Bounce back with a win and a few goals against Carlisle on Saturday and we can write this one off as one of them days. But 4 goals in the league so far and such a lack of chances created is very worrying for a team with supposed ambitions of getting out of this shower of a league.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

When asked why Pope wasn’t involved Askey said he hadn’t played for 8 months. Neither had Gibbo. 

Good point and Pope has probably done more than gibbo too as he’s been injured for a month!

6 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

When asked why Pope wasn’t involved Askey said he hadn’t played for 8 months. Neither had Gibbo. 

Carry on not playing him and he won’t have played for 9 months.

• Like 1

After Harrogate I was still in the camp where the settled side deserved to be kept in place on previous merit. After today I think there are a number of players not doing too much wrong but not doing enough right. Fitz, Burgess, Worrall, Cullen, Conlon and today Rodney as well. Time to bring Monty back at FB, Amoo on the right. If Pope hasn’t kept himself fit, that’s a disgrace because he should have been pushing to come on. 

People are missing the point entirely when banging on about Pope starting.

We have three really good strikers for this level in Rodney, Cullen and Robinson but he is totally and utterly misusing them.

Rodney is more dangerous down the middle, and neither Robinson or Cullen is suited to the loan striker role, particularly away from home on a tight pitch, atrocious conditions and a team that was always going to scrap and dig in.

For all the midfielders we have, how can it still be that we have little or no creativity?? Four goals scored from 4 games is not, I’m afraid, promotion winning.

Edited by Biddulph_PV
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mario said:

Does anyone know where Mc Kirdy was ? Injured or dropped ? 

I posted earlier, I thought the RS commentator said Mc Kirdy had tested positive for Covid but I didn’t quite catch it all so may be wrong.

Final word on today....there’s never a dose of COVID around when you need one.

I’m off to metaphorically “kick the cat” as someone once said, hoping to see a change in personnel, tactics and a significant improvement next week.

Edited by Biddulph_PV

5 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I don’t think people are talking about Pope starting, but are wondering why he didn’t get any minutes when we needed a goal. 

What was he on the bench for, as an ornament?

Edited by Santa
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Conrad said:

I posted earlier, I thought the RS commentator said Mc Kirdy had tested positive for Covid but I didn’t quite catch it all so may be wrong.

I thought they said he had a knock?

4 minutes ago, inner sanctum said:

Haven't we changed since the first child of games. Such positivity from everybody and virtually overnight we have bevvies relegation favourites

After the first 2 games we got a bit carried away me included but after the last 2 we have been back to earth we ain’t as good as we thought  I’m a fan of askey but he has got to be more positive/ ambitious when games are 0-0 and we not creating anything after an hour in the game 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I commented regarding our negative approach to the Carabao Cup, when it was likely to lead to a game the next round against Everton. Apparently we took this approach to concentrate on the league when we’d won one game and we’re going to face Exeter away in our next game and got a fantastic result.

JA has his team and psychologically tells the team that no one will walk straight back into the first team. I’d suggest that TP needs to be put straight back into the starting line up instead if playing tippy tappy football. Stats which show lots of possession and not scoring looks so negative. Opposition defences don’t want to have to deal with TP. 

Disagree with this. Pope is long past his best and our 4th choice striker. He shouldn’t be starting. He should be being used in games such as this as a sub when nothing is happening. 

• Like 3

Another bone to pick of today is I am sick of Phil bowers commentating I’ve never heard someone know so little about football nobody wants to hear your jokes or hear about your personal life or the fact you don’t want to say there stadium name. He described the way they played as being like a turtle like what are you on about. Makes my ears bleed half the stuff he comes out with. 

Just now, Vale1995 said:

Another bone to pick of today is I am sick of Phil bowers commentating I’ve never heard someone know so little about football nobody wants to hear your jokes or hear about your personal life or the fact you don’t want to say there stadium name. He described the way they played as being like a turtle like what are you on about. Makes my ears bleed half the stuff he comes out with. 

And the fact that you can’t get a vale goalkeeping top in the size you wanted who  wants to listen to that while watching vale