onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Morecambe v Port Vale

Fosse69

Fitzpatrick is similar in some respects to Crookes, doesn't really overlap or offer any attacking option at all.

Montano does but has also made a few errors I can recall Mansfield and Walsall as poor errors. 

It's a fine balance between a rampaging full back with defensive frailties or a steady Eddie full back with no attacking threat. 

No idea what the answer is. I hope JA does ! 

Advert

No need to panic yet. We are 4 games in to what ( hopefully) will be a long season.

I agree we do need to look at how we get to break down teams who sit back and allow us to have the ball- especially on small pitches with less space than at Vale Park. But there is a long way to go yet this season.

12 hours ago, Santa said:

It was a very similar setup at their place last season. They nicked two early goals and we spent the rest of the match playing sideways in  front of their two banks of four. Everyone was giving Amoo stick but ultimately we couldn't get him in the game. 

It's not exactly a secret that teams are looking to shut down Joyce and hope the distribution of our central defenders lets us down. However today we still managed to bring the ball out and we had plenty of the ball up until the edge of their are. What we missed was somebody pulling their defence out of shape either on or off the ball. The big diagonals were telegraphed and stayed in the air for an eternity. I'm tempted to say we either needed one of the midfielders such as Conlon to start push more into the number 10 position, or we needed to go two up top and get the forwards working the channels.

Looking at it that way, it's even more worrying - not just two games in a row where we've failed to adapt to teams that throw a wet blanket over us, but two seasons running. It's early days and too soon to start getting too anxious but if JA doesn't find a solution soon we're going to have a repeat of last season as more and more sides follow suit. To me, he seems over-wedded to his favourite 433 and, fair enough, but you have to know when and how to change it depending on the opposition. You can bet Carlisle are going to come with a similar game plan to Harrogate and Morecambe, so we'll find out soon enough.

Just hoping he's well and truly prepared for a turgid battle three games running...

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

Fitzpatrick shouldn't be starting for any side that wants out of this league. He's a 6 out of 10 player. Worth a place in the squad but both he and Montano are miles away from Mitch Clark. Let's not forget that Montano is actually a forward player. But he probably would have helped us a little yesterday if he was available and playing at left-back. But whether Askey would have actually gone down that road or for the 'safer' option in Fitzpatrick is another thing. 

At the end of the day full-backs aren't there to create. You're not going to find an Alexander-Arnold in League Two. Yes, they can get forward and help to provide a bit of width when needed but ultimately they are there to defend and help keep clean-sheets. It's down to the likes of Worrall and Rodney to create, and also Conlon and Burgess. Sadly two of those are badly out of form and another is a rookie that would be far more effective playing as a striker.

Fitzpatrick was not the reason we lost yesterday’s game whilst he was far from our worst performer. Four players who need to ask whether they did their best yesterday are Worrell, Burgess, Conlon and Cullen. 
All teams will lose games the important thing now is can we put it right on Saturday. We’ll know by the end of this month where we are at as we have upcoming games v Salford, Cambridge and Cheltenham and hopefully, we will be more creative in these games than yesterday.

44 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

Fitzpatrick was not the reason we lost yesterday’s game whilst he was far from our worst performer. Four players who need to ask whether they did their best yesterday are Worrell, Burgess, Conlon and Cullen. 
All teams will lose games the important thing now is can we put it right on Saturday. We’ll know by the end of this month where we are at as we have upcoming games v Salford, Cambridge and Cheltenham and hopefully, we will be more creative in these games than yesterday.

We're all aware we will lose games here and there. But it was the manner in how we lost it. We weren't great against Exeter but got the result with some fortune. We were very ordinary against Harrowgate but I preferred to give them credit for being organised and working to a game plan. But there was little excuse for that shower yesterday. I expect is to be bang it it and put a few past Carlisle. If we struggle in that game too then we really have to start looking at how the team is set up, and the tactics, which the manager is responsible for both.

For me we can't continue to play this 4-3-3 every game with Cullen up top and Worrall as one of the wide men given the task to being our main creator. Against the better sides, sure, but against lesser sides that will just get behind the ball and lump it forward and hope something breaks for them, we need two up top.

If this was a one off, I'd be happy to view it as a blip.

Someone above likened it to Macc, roughly 12 months ago.

It is, and results last season, and this, clearly demonstrate that we have not found a way to play when we are the better team.

Polar opposite to games against teams who come out and play, so we press high and stop them playing.

1 hour ago, soothsayer said:

Not sure why Fitzpatrick has been a bit of a scapegoat, even to the point that people want to see RCG in the side. Someone who’s done nothing for us and is totally unproven.

On 03/10/2020 at 14:20, TylerB said:

What creative passing? I don’t think for all his goals he had an assist to his name! I’d have Taylor back for his goal threat but let’s not try to make him out to be a player he wasn’t and isn’t.

Bit harsh that, describes himself as a ball playing midfield player and I can remember many phenomenal pieces of skill and passing as well as goals from him which is why I rate him so highly and presumably why the club tried to sign and pay a fee for him.

Just one example at 56", sublime pass to Amoo which led to Vale's goal vs Cheltenham.

12 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Bit harsh that, describes himself as a ball playing midfield player and I can remember many phenomenal pieces of skill and passing as well as goals from him which is why I rate him so highly and presumably why the club tried to sign and pay a fee for him.

Just one example at 56", sublime pass to Amoo which led to Vale's goal vs Cheltenham.

He obviously inspired Sunny to a 0-2 defeat against Tranmere yesterday. 

13 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Regardless of the video, I still stand by my point that he isn't creative. That doesn't mean he's not capable of the odd assist. Could we do with his goal threat from midfield? Absolutely. But I believe he hit a purple patch for us and won't score anything like as many going forward. Let's see how he fairs for Scunny this season. If he hits double figures again I'll be happy to hold my hands up!

Archived