onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Morecambe v Port Vale

Fosse69

Askey is to happy with not getting beat even against poor sides like morecambe it cost us last season with so many draws and nothing seems to have changed  I like askey but if we want to get promotion he’s got to change his ways and gamble on winning games especially against the likes of morecambe instead of settling for a point 

Advert

Everything is too comfortable at the Vale atm. Players on good contracts, good training facilities, full squad so no one else coming in to threaten their place, new training gear, not eating old pies for lunch any more, being looked after properly. It sounds great. I’m just not sure it brings about a huge hunger and desire to win football matches.

Askeys system at the moment is definitely defence first. Even more so when mills and Fitzpatrick both start. 

Have to say on the large askeys signings thus far as vale manager are certainly questionable. All these ex macc players who just aren’t good enough. Fitzpatrick seems another one, he’s singed some really dire players so far. I imagine Fitzpatrick will be another who leaves at the end of the season just like Lloyd, Evans and Kennedy. 

9 hours ago, Portvale4 said:

Just my opinion. Worrall is the first person on my team sheet. Yeah, he hasn’t looked anything like his best recently but I’d back him to start showing it at some point soon. In fairness to Woz, I don’t think having either Mills or Fitz behind him has helped him in the slightest because they offer him no support going forward. I think having attacking full-back suits Worrall’s game. 

So how long can he continue to be giving 5 out of 10 performances and yet be the first person on your team-sheet? Like I said, surely the whole point of having a strong squad is so that players can't have a period where they are just going through the motions and not performing. Right now he's been poor, especially by the standards he is capable of, so far this season and doesn't deserve to keep his place. It's as simple as that. Do we give him 10 games to finally start showing something? Half a season?

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

Askeys system at the moment is definitely defence first. Even more so when mills and Fitzpatrick both start. 

Have to say on the large askeys signings thus far as vale manager are certainly questionable. All these ex macc players who just aren’t good enough. Fitzpatrick seems another one, he’s singed some really dire players so far. I imagine Fitzpatrick will be another who leaves at the end of the season just like Lloyd, Evans and Kennedy. 

This is a bit harsh... the lad was always supposed to be a low cost backup to Monty in a world of new financial restrictions. He wouldn’t have played a min if Monty hadn’t been injured. We have conceded one goal in the league games he has played... a penalty that should have been awarded and had nothing to do with him.

I suspect we will see Monty back next week.

19 minutes ago, grand prix pants said:

Everything is too comfortable at the Vale atm. Players on good contracts, good training facilities, full squad so no one else coming in to threaten their place, new training gear, not eating old pies for lunch any more, being looked after properly. It sounds great. I’m just not sure it brings about a huge hunger and desire to win football matches.

Yes...the Norman regime really paid off.. with near bottom of the league finishes...

10 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I disagree slightly, in that very defensive fullbacks are a great opinion if we’re defending something and the opponents are throwing the kitchen sink at us. 

19 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

This is a bit harsh... the lad was always supposed to be a low cost backup to Monty in a world of new financial restrictions. He wouldn’t have played a min if Monty hadn’t been injured. We have conceded one goal in the league games he has played... a penalty that should have been awarded and had nothing to do with him.

I suspect we will see Monty back next week.

I don’t think it’s harsh. We had a perfectly good back up left back in Campbell Gordon. There was no need to sign Fitzpatrick. I think askey sees him as the number 1 left back over Monty. I certainly hope Monty is back next week. 

I wouldn’t say he has impressed in those clean sheets personally 

Fitzpatrick shouldn't be starting for any side that wants out of this league. He's a 6 out of 10 player. Worth a place in the squad but both he and Montano are miles away from Mitch Clark. Let's not forget that Montano is actually a forward player. But he probably would have helped us a little yesterday if he was available and playing at left-back. But whether Askey would have actually gone down that road or for the 'safer' option in Fitzpatrick is another thing. 

At the end of the day full-backs aren't there to create. You're not going to find an Alexander-Arnold in League Two. Yes, they can get forward and help to provide a bit of width when needed but ultimately they are there to defend and help keep clean-sheets. It's down to the likes of Worrall and Rodney to create, and also Conlon and Burgess. Sadly two of those are badly out of form and another is a rookie that would be far more effective playing as a striker.

The only way to beat teams set up like Harrogate and Morecambe is to get the first goal and make them change their game plan.

Flair players ( Amoo and Mckirdy ) yes both look to be injured or just recovering but those sorts of players are the key.

Rodney excited me a couple of times but because he's raw mostly no end product.

The two I mentioned are proven creators and notch a few times too. 

One of them has to start next week and if he's fit what better person to rile  Carlisle than Mckirdy ? 

6 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I don’t think it’s harsh. We had a perfectly good back up left back in Campbell Gordon. There was no need to sign Fitzpatrick. I think askey sees him as the number 1 left back over Monty. I certainly hope Monty is back next week. 

I wouldn’t say he has impressed in those clean sheets personally 

I also though RCG would be an option... but the manager and a team of coaches and development staff disagree.

Did he stand out on his loans to a league significantly lower than ours? Nope. 

He is a risky back up to an area we were targeted in time and time again last year.

RCG as backup to Month is WAY too risky ... Firzpatrick offers consistency, a more defensive option and at a reasonable price.

Has everything been coming down our left this year like last? Are teams bombarding us down that wing? Nope... so looks like opposition managers also see what our own coaching team sees.

52 minutes ago, grand prix pants said:

Not sure is this is serious or a wind up? 

Some of the criticism of Fitzpatrick is a bit harsh, hes a lot better than players like Kennedy and Lloyd, he’s steady enough without necessarily adding much in the final third. I guess with Gibbo playing yesterday that it showed us in glimpses what a more forward  thinking fullback could add to us. 

On 27/09/2020 at 11:12, Jacko51 said:

I watched the Morecambe Newcastle game on Wednesday.  It was a much changed Newcastle team with only 2 players who had played in their previous Prem match.  Morecambe couldn't live with them because of the tempo Newcastle played at.  Morecambe had a lad sent off but they were already 4-0 down before that.  We need to keep the ball on the deck and play through them rather than over them.

Thanks for listening Vale. 

5 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Not sure is this is serious or a wind up? 

Some of the criticism of Fitzpatrick is a bit harsh, hes a lot better than players like Kennedy and Lloyd, he’s steady enough without necessarily adding much in the final third. I guess with Gibbo playing yesterday that it showed us in glimpses what a more forward  thinking fullback could add to us. 

If our attacking players were creating, nobody would care less about what Fitzpatrick does going forward just as long as he does his job defensively. I'm not his biggest fan but he's not the reason we've only scored 4 goals this season, or got one point from the last 6 available. 

Archived