onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Morecambe v Port Vale

Fosse69

7 minutes ago, TylerB said:

But they were our tactics too. Clearly Askey was hopeful that either a Morecambe player would make a mistake and we would capitalise or someone like Conlon world score a worldie and nick us the game. If you want to start the game like we did then fine. Going in 0-0 I wasn't too dissapointed as I very much expected us to get better in the second half and create a few things. But that never happened, because Askey never changed things other than personnel. Everything was the same and like for like, and Morecambe never had to second guess anything for a single moment. It's beyond belief that we didn't go 4-4-2 and just kept on trying the same thing that clearly wasn't working. Players can have bad games and I suppose we just have to say that Askey had a shocker today. Bounce back with a win and a few goals against Carlisle on Saturday and we can write this one off as one of them days. But 4 goals in the league so far and such a lack of chances created is very worrying for a team with supposed ambitions of getting out of this shower of a league.

I don't think Vale's tactics were the same. They sat back in the first half and were cynical all game, .  Most of the 1st half was played in their half 'cause they sat back, Vale played some neat football but it's tough to create against teams that sit back as there's little space.  They were a bit more adventurous 2nd half, they got the pen and sat back again. I'd have brought Pope of on after the goal as Plan B, Robinson was Plan A2.0.

IMHO Vale's squad this year is not quite so strong as last year principally because Jake Taylor and Mitch Clarke are missing. Taylor not only ghosted into the box but his shooting from outside the box was excellent and he had that creative pass in him. Clarke was an outstanding attacking full back at this level. That's a chunk of creativity/goals to lose from last season. I'm gutted Taylor's gone Scunny.

Advert

54 minutes ago, TylerB said:

We could and should be sitting here quite easily with 12 points from 12, and feeling good about life a little despite the world going to <ovf censored>. Instead we now have 7 in 12 which considering the strength of our squad is pretty damn average, and the very least one would fairly expect.

And now we have to wait a whole week to hopefully get back on the horse and put this shocker behind us. I don't care about the Wigan game midweek. I'd rather watch Murder She Wrote.

Well said. The hardest part is waiting a week for the next league match. Feels like an eternity these days. What an awful match today. One of the worst I’ve ever seen. Depressed. 

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

Again very poor.

Should really have been 0-0 but for the awful refereeing decision. 

But we are not creating anything at all and that's 2 weeks in a row we've been pretty dreadful.

We ought to have shaken things up at half time and changed things drastically but we didn't and it was like watching paint dry.

Never in a month of Sundays will that XI score us enough goals. Nothing from midfield and toothless up front.

It's really frustrating for the second week in a row. 1/6 against teams we should be looking to beat if we want to achieve anything.

What exactly is Plan B?

By the look of it, there's no plan B - which is a huge worry for us and huge encouragement for the teams we play. I wrote last week that Harrogate had shown the rest of the League exactly how to play us and, bingo, Morecambe seemed to have watched the video. Unless we show some variation in our selection/game plan/timing and selection of substitutes, this is going to happen time after time. Shocker today after last week.

We can't rely on Pope every season, there has got to be an alternative, Askey seems to struggle with sides that park the bus, our lack of creativity in the final 3rd is a concern, blaming Cullen when the service he gets is poor is not fair if he actually missed from point blank then Ok but he's not getting the bites set up for him.

I'm also wondering whats happened to McKirdy he is an ideal sub in these situations, something a bit different.

18 minutes ago, Jacob_123 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t they beat Cheltenham away?

Yes first game of the season they did. 

As I said. Other than that they beat Southend 2-1 who have been smashed by everyone. 

Oldham (as above) 

got hammered 7-0 at home in the cup and also hammered 5-0 at home to Cambridge. 

Theyre a poor side who will be bottom half at the very best. Same with Harrogate. 

7 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Yes first game of the season they did. 

As I said. Other than that they beat Southend 2-1 who have been smashed by everyone. 

Oldham (as above) 

got hammered 7-0 at home in the cup and also hammered 5-0 at home to Cambridge. 

Theyre a poor side who will be bottom half at the very best. Same with Harrogate. 

You can see why they parked the bus then getting done 5 at home, it's up to us to have the creativity in midfield or overlapping full backs to get in behind.

25 minutes ago, blackdog said:

You can see why they parked the bus then getting done 5 at home, it's up to us to have the creativity in midfield or overlapping full backs to get in behind.

Yep, and yet in his RS interview Askey seemed surprised they had done so. 

Well there you go L2, the might of Harrogate and Morecombe have showed you how to stop us scoring and get points off us.

50 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

I don't think Vale's tactics were the same. They sat back in the first half and were cynical all game, .  Most of the 1st half was played in their half 'cause they sat back, Vale played some neat football but it's tough to create against teams that sit back as there's little space.  They were a bit more adventurous 2nd half, they got the pen and sat back again. I'd have brought Pope of on after the goal as Plan B, Robinson was Plan A2.0.

IMHO Vale's squad this year is not quite so strong as last year principally because Jake Taylor and Mitch Clarke are missing. Taylor not only ghosted into the box but his shooting from outside the box was excellent and he had that creative pass in him. Clarke was an outstanding attacking full back at this level. That's a chunk of creativity/goals to lose from last season. I'm gutted Taylor's gone Scunny.

I heard a guy on Radio Stoke saying that Burgess only played well when Taylor was there.  I actually think Burgess was better in the second half of the season when Taylor didn't play.  His last game for us was the Man City cup tie on 4th January.

Forest seem to have buggered Taylor about - first he was staying then at the last minute he can go on loan by which time Vale are up to budget. 

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

What creative passing? I don’t think for all his goals he had an assist to his name! I’d have Taylor back for his goal threat but let’s not try to make him out to be a player he wasn’t and isn’t.

The frustrating thing was watching midfield players (particularly Joyce) and fullbacks (particularly Fitzpatrick) playing the ball back to Legge and Brisley from inside Morecombes' half when under no presure. If they think Legge and Brisley are better able to pass the ball forward from 20 metres behind its got to be questioned why they are in the side. Too many players weren't really taking responsibility for creating chances.

The most obvious change for me is Monty for Fitzpatrick. Going forward he pretty much leaves Rodney on his own. Oyeleke needs to come back for Burgess. Cullen and Worrall replacements will probably be at least considered.

Personally think the whole signing of Fitzpatrick is / was an odd one. 

He was apparently only at vale to train and get fit. We then sign him pretty much straight away. 

Looked average at best (being generous) we had Ryan Campbell Gordon who looks a decent prospect and obviously Monty who did well there last season and scores goals. Why did we need to sign him? There’s two left backs there? Could have left an option for a creative player further forward or Mitch Clark on loan? 

As I posted earlier. Been disappointed with both him and mills. Both looks worse than what we already have in Monty and gibbons. 

Burgess looked good last season, so far this he looks less so. We’re a midfielder short due to manny. 

If manny isn’t fit next week I would 100% start Whitehead over burgess. 

I would bring in amoo as well. If he’s fit enough to be on the bench he’s fit enough to play. 

We're all armchair managers when we lose.

We will have ups and downs. We were on a roll when we locked down. The manager made changes all last season and knew it was a marathon. I trust him. We might not like losing but we need to keep our heads.

This is a much better start than we had for a number of seasons despite 2 lackluster performances.

6 minutes ago, Ron C said:

We're all armchair managers when we lose.

We will have ups and downs. We were on a roll when we locked down. The manager made changes all last season and knew it was a marathon. I trust him. We might not like losing but we need to keep our heads.

This is a much better start than we had for a number of seasons despite 2 lackluster performances.

That says more about how poor we’ve been the last few seasons Dosent it?

you are right though, give me askey over aspin or Michael <ovf censored> brown anyday. He really needs to work on his subs though. 

Archived