onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Morecambe v Port Vale

Fosse69

As has already been said, boring and hardly worth watching. Pretty-pretty passing across the back, to the keeper, back four again, midfield, back to defender again.... this sort of possession gets us nowhere, as shown today, and is sh**e to watch. Nothing created by midfield for the front men, who created nothing for themselves.

£10 wasted and 2 hours I'll never get back..... You can probably tell I'm not a happy bunny !!

Advert

I thought Fitzpatrick looked steady again today, apart from going missing for their chance second half, but the difference between him and gibbo today is night and day in terms of driving the team forward.

listening to Carl (I think) on the radio say that we should be playing the same formation as we started the season with. We have been playing the same formation haven’t we? It was clear today that Rodney was the outlet with the diag from defence but when he faded we struggled.

19 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

As for the penalty, it was a stupid challenge anyway, so can’t really grumble if the ref points to the spot.

Yeah - if you're going to charge up to the back of someone in the box and make any sort of contact (no matter how slight) without touching the ball, then in all likelihood they're going to hit the deck and give the ref a decision to make.

If that had happened at the other end (unlikely, as it would require us to get players in the box! 🤣), then we'd have been shouting for a penalty.

It's wrong, but its the state of modern football.

2 minutes ago, TylerB said:

We could and should be sitting here quite easily with 12 points from 12, and feeling good about life a little despite the world going to <ovf censored>. Instead we now have 7 in 12 which considering the strength of our squad is pretty damn average, and the very least one would fairly expect.

We would be if our manager had a plan b. We are going the same way as last year - decent against good teams who will try and have a go at us but toothless against piss poor sides.

The only positive from today I can think is these past two games have been awake call to the whole squad and hopefully they will put it right.

I will be pissed off though if the next league game we play same way with the same players when we keep saying there is competition for places. 2 games on a run we have been nowhere near good enough.

Time for next man to step up.

Sickener for Vale, Morecambe's game plan seemed to be keep it tight, fall over at every opportunity and nick one if possible and it worked.

I'm a John Askey fan but couldn't understand the substitutions when Vale went behind, not many goals in the Vale team that finished the game today. 

I commented regarding our negative approach to the Carabao Cup, when it was likely to lead to a game the next round against Everton. Apparently we took this approach to concentrate on the league when we’d won one game and we’re going to face Exeter away in our next game and got a fantastic result.

JA has his team and psychologically tells the team that no one will walk straight back into the first team. I’d suggest that TP needs to be put straight back into the starting line up instead if playing tippy tappy football. Stats which show lots of possession and not scoring looks so negative. Opposition defences don’t want to have to deal with TP. 

1 minute ago, Paul6754 said:

Sickener for Vale, Morecambe's game plan seemed to be keep it tight, fall over at every opportunity and nick one if possible and it worked.

I'm a John Askey fan but couldn't understand the substitutions when Vale went behind, not many goals in the Vale team that finished the game today. 

But they were our tactics too. Clearly Askey was hopeful that either a Morecambe player would make a mistake and we would capitalise or someone like Conlon world score a worldie and nick us the game. If you want to start the game like we did then fine. Going in 0-0 I wasn't too dissapointed as I very much expected us to get better in the second half and create a few things. But that never happened, because Askey never changed things other than personnel. Everything was the same and like for like, and Morecambe never had to second guess anything for a single moment. It's beyond belief that we didn't go 4-4-2 and just kept on trying the same thing that clearly wasn't working. Players can have bad games and I suppose we just have to say that Askey had a shocker today. Bounce back with a win and a few goals against Carlisle on Saturday and we can write this one off as one of them days. But 4 goals in the league so far and such a lack of chances created is very worrying for a team with supposed ambitions of getting out of this shower of a league.

5 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

When asked why Pope wasn’t involved Askey said he hadn’t played for 8 months. Neither had Gibbo. 

Good point and Pope has probably done more than gibbo too as he’s been injured for a month!

After Harrogate I was still in the camp where the settled side deserved to be kept in place on previous merit. After today I think there are a number of players not doing too much wrong but not doing enough right. Fitz, Burgess, Worrall, Cullen, Conlon and today Rodney as well. Time to bring Monty back at FB, Amoo on the right. If Pope hasn’t kept himself fit, that’s a disgrace because he should have been pushing to come on. 

People are missing the point entirely when banging on about Pope starting.

We have three really good strikers for this level in Rodney, Cullen and Robinson but he is totally and utterly misusing them.

Rodney is more dangerous down the middle, and neither Robinson or Cullen is suited to the loan striker role, particularly away from home on a tight pitch, atrocious conditions and a team that was always going to scrap and dig in.

For all the midfielders we have, how can it still be that we have little or no creativity?? Four goals scored from 4 games is not, I’m afraid, promotion winning.

33 minutes ago, Mario said:

Does anyone know where Mc Kirdy was ? Injured or dropped ? 

I posted earlier, I thought the RS commentator said Mc Kirdy had tested positive for Covid but I didn’t quite catch it all so may be wrong.

Archived