Standard of match officials

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a hobby horse of mine, but referee's are not cheats. They may get things wrong, but they are not cheats. Not even the much maligned Trevor Kettle.  I realise that the topic is about refer

We need more linesmen like the one at Cheltenham in March. He's that good he can see 200 yards away through a sea of bodies. 

Exactly what you say Jacko. I spent about 5 seasons after I finished playing rugby refereeing it and moved up the grades quite quickly. That piece of advice from one of my assessors stuck with me...."

Posted Images

We have all heard this -  "why are there not more Coloured people in Football management".     and we have seen everybody and his dog jump on the band wagon  but we never seem to hear :-  "Why are there not more ex players in Refereeing ?"  Nobody on TV, Media, or anyone ever takes up that challenge.    Refereeing is a closed shop and only widgers who have never played the game need apply. Most of them were the kids who were always picked last at school. 

1 hour ago, pensioner said:

"Why are there not more ex players in Refereeing

Quite simple really. They don't want to do it. 

What people don't realise is that it takes years, years and more years of hard work to progress to the league panel. The last thing ex players want is hard work.

Talk at one time was of fast tracking ex players to the league list, but even then none stepped into the breech. 

Most players prove on a Saturday afternoon that they dont understand the laws (not rules) of the game and even less could tell you that there are 17 of them. 

Being an ex player does not make you understand the laws, or indeed interpret them, any better than a housemaster from Harrow. 

On 29/09/2020 at 10:52, RailwayRowdy said:

I thought that disgraced Bobby Madley had been invited to ref in League 2 this season? Has he done so, or have I just missed him? Or did it never materialise? 

Speak of the devil..... he’s reffing us on Saturday. 

• Thanks 1

On 28/09/2020 at 23:40, Santa said:

One of my gripes is the number of inexperienced referees we have at our level. I know they have to learn somewhere but for the last couple of years it seems like we've been getting first year refs most weeks.

Well, Saturday's ref is certainly experienced.

58 minutes ago, philmpv said:
2 hours ago, PV1973 said:
Speak of the devil..... he’s reffing us on Saturday. 

What did he do?

He foolishly shared a video with his friend of a disabled person with some derogatory remark added. 

This "friend" then sent it to the Premier League, who subsequently fired him. 

His partner is Finnish and he has supposedly been reff'ing and living in Finland since. 

• Like 1

Hope he's not as bad as the last so called upper echelon ref that we had. The clown who gave a penalty against smith for absolutely nothing and then proceeded to baffle everyone for the rest of the game. Can't remember his name but the fourth official was quoted as saying that he wasn't used to reffing at our level, as an apparent excuse!

He foolishly shared a video with his friend of a disabled person with some derogatory remark added. 
This "friend" then sent it to the Premier League, who subsequently fired him. 
His partner is Finnish and he has supposedly been reff'ing and living in Finland since. 

41 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Hope he's not as bad as the last so called upper echelon ref that we had. The clown who gave a penalty against smith for absolutely nothing and then proceeded to baffle everyone for the rest of the game. Can't remember his name but the fourth official was quoted as saying that he wasn't used to reffing at our level, as an apparent excuse!

That was Mike Jones against Crawley.  Not on the list any more thankfully.

• Like 1

I expect the standard to be poor. They’re consistently crap in the premiership so I always expect a poor showing. Yesterday though, it’s clear why he’s no longer referring in the premiership. Should be moved out of league 2 after that display. Disgraceful. 

When the opposition are falling over at the slightest contact and pretending to be seriously injured when obviously not the  case a good Ref acknowledges this. More importantly this should have a significant bearing on major decisions he then makes. That is what good ones do, we saw what bad ones do.