onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Standard of match officials

Doha

Advert

He was the so-called referee who officiated at our 1993 play-off final against West Brom (who we'd beaten home and away that season). He's notorious for sending off Peter Swann after an hour of play, making Swanny only the third player in England ever to be sent off at Wembley. It was the turning point of the game, which finished 3-0 to West Brom.

Daylight robbery and I've never forgotten it!

Referees have a difficult job and, as RR has said above, it's not made any easier by the behaviour of players.  One thing that always annoys me though - I can forgive a ref for not seeing something that has happened, I can't forgive them for imagining something that hasn't happened.  Referees shouldn't guess - they should officiate what they see, not what they think they have seen.

One of my gripes is the number of inexperienced referees we have at our level. I know they have to learn somewhere but for the last couple of years it seems like we've been getting first year refs most weeks. Did they sack a load?

Milford was a tosser but George Courtney was an even bigger one. Those were the days when we were in the second tier and we'd get big name refs dropping down into the old Division 2 reasonably often. Single worst refereeing performance I ever saw was Reading at home between Christmas and New Year in the 94/95 season. 

8 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Referees have a difficult job and, as RR has said above, it's not made any easier by the behaviour of players.  One thing that always annoys me though - I can forgive a ref for not seeing something that has happened, I can't forgive them for imagining something that hasn't happened.  Referees shouldn't guess - they should officiate what they see, not what they think they have seen.

Exactly what you say Jacko. I spent about 5 seasons after I finished playing rugby refereeing it and moved up the grades quite quickly. That piece of advice from one of my assessors stuck with me...."Ref what you see....never, ever guess". Players accepted your..."Sorry Lads I did not see that" with a "Fair enough, Sir!" (I know there is a difference in the relationship between players and refs in rugby and football but it still comes down to man management, I think.)

The ability to have a conversation with the players has been ironed out of refs in football. Remember the likes of the old Clive Thomas and Roger Kirkpatricks of the world.

One comment about guessing still makes me chuckle, I can't remember the game but it was quite high up the Levels and I blew for something at the bottom of a ruck and it was only from a sense of that didn't look right.....as the player walked back past me he winked and said, "Bloody hell, Sir, you must have eyes like a sewer rat if you saw that!" 

One of my gripes is the number of inexperienced referees we have at our level. I know they have to learn somewhere but for the last couple of years it seems like we've been getting first year refs most weeks. Did they sack a load?
Milford was a tosser but George Courtney was an even bigger one. Those were the days when we were in the second tier and we'd get big name refs dropping down into the old Division 2 reasonably often. Single worst refereeing performance I ever saw was Reading at home between Christmas and New Year in the 94/95 season. 
They may have sacked a load or a lot retired at the same time, but more likely a lot went to VAR. So L2 left without refs as replacements moved up the ladder.

The problem with these up and coming young refs is they have never played the game at any level and have no understanding of it, if you look at the refs in the staffs county league the best ones are the ones who played till they were in there 30sand then went into reffing .   
The old story, the lions and the donkeys

12 hours ago, Conrad said:

The name rings a bell but that’s about it, can’t say as I remember him.

If you thought that Clive Thomas seeked the limelight (remember the world cup goal he disallowed from the corner) this guy really took the biscuit.

He always preemed himself and made sure he was facing the camera before brandishing cards, especially the red variety.

Loved himself did our Roger. 

image.png.3486ec1a52bca4331c609c22621e1f2b.png

Archived