Match Thread : Port Vale v Harrogate Town

Newly promoted Harrogate Town first time visitors to Vale Park, in 3rd place, so a 6 pointer? Confidence carried over from last season and the bubble will burst?  Vale in 2nd place with our best squad for years will surely be too strong or a banana skin awaiting with them building on their 4 goal win at Southend?  3-0 for me and a 3rd clean sheet.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some absolute tripe posted in here today. Apparently Worrall doesn’t have the pace to play in this system, even though he was player of the year in it last season.    Obviously was a poor game,

What are crewe riding? A fart bubble?

Carls a genius. He says we need to look at playing better than we have today. Amazed JA hasn't called him up for a coaching role.

Posted Images

Bit early to say it's a 6 pointer as once things level off I think Harrogate will do well by coming anything above 18th. 

I said previously that with 4 of the first 6 at home we have a great opportunity to get early points on the board. 

Complete faith that we will have too much for Harrogate without being too arrogant 

I'll plump for another steady 2-0 win 

I had a good look at Harrogate for the first and only time when they played Notts County at Wembley and they really impressed me. They like to get the ball down, use the wings and their overlapping full backs and put clever balls down the channels.

I can see the game being a bit of a tactical battle. I don't think their win against Southend is too much of a barometer, (except that you have to put those teams away and they did) but the draw against Walsall I think is a very decent result for them.

If we want promotion then these a games we need to win and with three teams expected not to do much this season up we have a great chance to get a great start, so often we’ve struggled when this opportunity arises so could learn a lot the next 3 games!

Fancy us to win though with how well we are playing but more tougher than many expect 2-1 Cullen and Woz.

They're a decent team and I don't see them struggling, but let them worry about us. As long as we show the right application on the day and don't take the result for granted, which we won't, I see a pretty comfortable 2-0 win.

Edited by TylerB
  • Like 1

Probably not the best time to play a promoted team carrying momentum even though they're currently playing home games at Donny and will eventually fade down the table.With fans in Vale Park i think we'd beat them,without fans its tougher but were good enough to take maximum points and continue to be amongst the early pace setters.W N E, Vale to win and go top after other teams drop points.Same starting 11.UTV

• Like 1

In some bizarre way an empty Vale park for this fixture may not be such a bad thing(although I would never choose it). I think the Vale fans would in general expect a win against a newly promoted team, especially one that has never played at this level. Having  only seen the highlights of their two previous games they seem like a decent outfit who like to get crosses into the box. If Leggy and Smithy can stamp their authority early doors then I can see us coming out on top  but I certainly don't think it will be easy. 

3 hours ago, GingerValiant said:

I think this will be our toughest game yet as I can see these being physical and not letting us get in the rhythm of our game. I fancy us to nick it 1-0 with Conlon scoring in a scrappy game 

I'm sure Manny, Usain, Smithy, Conlon and Leggey will relish that then. 

1 hour ago, Vale Fan In DGardens said:

We will have to careful in this game just watched the highlights from Saturday of second half and twice from crosses what should not off come in from Mills side Smith has let someone free for a header,and free for a tap in but luckily what  a brilliant save from Scott Brown so in my opinion we need to eradicate that happening or our good start will cease as eventually opposition players will put them away .

Watched Harrowgate v West Brom in cup they had more possession than the premier league shadow team and look like they play direct so we have to be at it .

Team well you would start with same eleven as v Exeter but if I had to make a change it would be Smith for Mills and move Brisley or Crookes to Smiths position as at present the right back side of our defence looks the most likely to present the opposition with hope of creating anything .

Keep it tight and let’s hope Worrall delivers his best game ,a scrappy 1-0 Cullen will do but be warned we cannot give opposition chances like we did sat after going 2-0 up because as daft as it seems that game could easily have ended 2-2 because of players switching off .

UTV 

We have one of the best centre half pairings in the league, there’s no chance of Smith being moved from a centre half unless absolutely necessary. Of course there’s no guarantee we’ll keep a clean sheet every week because teams will always get a chance in any game. But If anything I’d be putting Gibbo in for Mills if he’s fit. I just think that Gibbo offers more going forward and defensively.  But I’d have no complaints if they kept the same side for the Harrogate game. 

• Like 3