onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread : Port Vale v Harrogate Town

Fosse69

Some absolute tripe posted in here today. Apparently Worrall doesn’t have the pace to play in this system, even though he was player of the year in it last season. 

Obviously was a poor game, but give credit to Harrogate they were a very tough team to play against. Was quality that let us down today rather than effort, the effort was still there from everyone. 

Yes Worrall had a poor game, but I think people are going OTT. He still covered every blade of grass, still involved in a lot of the play, didn’t go hiding. Just didn’t come off for him today with some mis-hit passes, which happens, he’s a league 2 footballer. 

At the end of the day, it’s another point, we’re unbeaten in the league, and have yet to concede a league goal over 3 games. Onwards and upwards.

Advert

They were a strong , hard working side reminded me of Gillingham . Their type of football can get you out of league 2, not pretty to watch. First half they imposed their style of play on us, second half we got into the game by passing the ball rather than aimlessly hoofing it up to Cullen.

Second in the table, clean sheet . I’m happy. 

Just be interested to gauge opinion.

Given that it clearly didn't suit Cullen who is the man for this type of war of attrition.

Do we go for the raw Rodney who not only has strength but terrifying pace which L2 defenders hate or the proven Pope, all the nous and know how ? 

Clearly both will get a lot of game time ( I assume ) but it's a conundrum that JA gets paid for. 

Also Theo needs to get up to speed quickly .

Personally next week we go with Rodney through the middle and possibly give Mckirdy a start and go at Morecambe. 

11 hours ago, Powerline said:

Some absolute tripe posted in here today. Apparently Worrall doesn’t have the pace to play in this system, even though he was player of the year in it last season. 

Obviously was a poor game, but give credit to Harrogate they were a very tough team to play against. Was quality that let us down today rather than effort, the effort was still there from everyone. 

Yes Worrall had a poor game, but I think people are going OTT. He still covered every blade of grass, still involved in a lot of the play, didn’t go hiding. Just didn’t come off for him today with some mis-hit passes, which happens, he’s a league 2 footballer. 

At the end of the day, it’s another point, we’re unbeaten in the league, and have yet to concede a league goal over 3 games. Onwards and upwards.

Agree with pretty much everything. But Worrall was shocking, his passing, and he needs to step up now we're a few games into the season when we have the likes of McKirdy on the bench and Amoo coming back. We all love him for his work-rate and endeavour, but as one of our wide men it's imperative that he creates for us. He's allowed a poor game like every other player in League Two. But he's not undroppable now, and another performance like that on Saturday and his place should be questioned for the time being. Even though he didn't do anything special, I thought we instantly looked better going forward once McKirdy was on the pitch.

35 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

Horrible team they were, just can't stand the constant collapsing under any type of tackle. Attacking or defending, they wanted a freekick at all times.

They were a team i wanted to root for a bit this season too, first season in the league and all. <ovf censored> them off now.

When you get a team looking for free kicks and collapsing on the floor when somebody gets close to them all the time you need a strong ref unfortunately this one was awful and kept blowing up every time they went down 

I think the comment about a lack of quality is spot on.

We haven't got a big, physical team and have sometimes found it difficult in recent seasons when other sides play like this. We don't win many high balls in the final third and with a blustery wind, probably a lot worse than it looked on TV, the ball was hard to get down and pass with accuracy.

You simply have to take your chance when it comes against these teams. Then the game gets stretched and you can often get another one. 

They were indeed very well drilled and professional and probably deserved a point, playing in a manner that suited the players they've got.

It's no good us moaning. We need to be stronger and to show more quality on the ball. 

Distribution from the back is poor. Lumping it up to Cullen was never going to work in a month of Sundays. 

I doubt the likes of Robinson. McKirdy, Pope and Amoo are anywhere near fully fit. Monty is perhaps next in line for a start as he's probably a week or two ahead of the others.

There were a few pluses. Oyeleke's 90 minutes and he was good after half time. We kept a clean sheet. Brisley got some game time and was ok. 

Just let's take the 0-0 and move on. Not a game that will live long in the memory but I've seen dozens like that over the years and we've lost a few similar ones.

I think the wind played a part yesterday in our performance. We were definitely the side trying to play a bit of football, and conditions weren't ideal for that. We passed it much better in the second half once we got going, only we were often let down with that final ball, with Worrall being the main culprit. I genuinely believe they can and will be a top 10 side and getting a point when not at your best and with some players more in form than others isn't something to feel disgraced about. If we can't all be content with three clean sheets and being second in the table currently and with a few more important players on the way back then we all might as well go and learn knitting instead.

2 hours ago, valeparklife said:

How many clean sheets are usually needed for promotion?

Was it 20?

17 more to go if so!

Only Vale and Cambridge now have kept clean sheets in League Two after 3 league games.

Also Ipswich and Hull in League One and Swansea and Watford in the Championship.

Aston Villa and Sheff.Wed are the only other teams to have kept clean sheets but have only played 1 and 2 games respectively.

Archived