onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread : Port Vale v Harrogate Town

Fosse69

Advert

4 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

We always struggle against teams that come to spoil and defend.

Teams are entitled to play however they see fit to get points so no complaints at all.

I like our team a lot but we do lack creativity to beat these sorts of tactics.

Amoo will help a little, as would starting McKirdy.

We're not going to beat many teams by three or four this season. But I said before a ball was kicked that we'll go on to have one of the best defensive records in the league. Three games in I've not seen anything to change my mind.

We've come a long way because fans are not overly happy with a clean slate draw at home to a workmanlike, industrious, physical Team. Not so long ago we would have lost this game. However we do need a better tactical nous to counter these type of opponents. We have flashes of great play and chance creating but we still need to be more consistent as a whole to upset the top of the League. In Legge, Oyeleke, Smith, Brown and Rodney we have 4 players capable of being the very best in this division. Once the others gain full fitness I believe we can make this a season to remember. VTID.

Have we lost ? It was poor yes , but they were spoilers . I think  people think we are going to fly this league , your mistaken 

Thought our overall play today was poor, too many long balls, up and unders, too many players had a very poor 1st touch, there were a few players who lacked energy today.

One shining light again was Rodney when we went up to the middle of the front 3, Manny is a class act and he’s only going to get better as he gets fitter.

LB and RB didn’t really get forward and I thought that stifled/isolated Rodney and Worrell for much of the game.

Joyce was absent for the last 30 mins before he was subbed. Browns distribution could’ve been better, he contributed to the long ball game. Cullen looked like he was still in the changing room... looked like he couldn’t be bothered. Throws ins today were a big big bare for me... NO one hardly marked the thrower tight and giving them to much room to get the ball into the box (easy 1, 2 all the time)

Stupid fouls.... grrrr loads of them.

Legge was a rock, manny conlon battled well, Rodney is a player In the making - he just needs to nail that final ball when cutting inside.

We’ve got to be better than that if we want to go up, our passing was poor for 80 mins.

3 minutes ago, fraggle said:

Thought our overall play today was poor, too many long balls, up and unders, too many players had a very poor 1st touch, there were a few players who lacked energy today.

One shining light again was Rodney when we went up to the middle of the front 3, Manny is a class act and he’s only going to get better as he gets fitter.

LB and RB didn’t really get forward and I thought that stifled/isolated Rodney and Worrell for much of the game.

Joyce was absent for the last 30 mins before he was subbed. Browns distribution could’ve been better, he contributed to the long ball game. Cullen looked like he was still in the changing room... looked like he couldn’t be bothered. Throws ins today were a big big bare for me... NO one hardly marked the thrower tight and giving them to much room to get the ball into the box (easy 1, 2 all the time)

Stupid fouls.... grrrr loads of them.

Legge was a rock, manny emoji91.png conlon battled well, Rodney is a player In the making - he just needs to nail that final ball when cutting inside.

We’ve got to be better than that if we want to go up, our passing was poor for 80 mins.

We're allowed a poor/average performance. We'll have another one at some point. We also won't know how good a side Harrogate are for another handful of games yet, but I have a feeling they'll be one of the better sides in the league this season. Cheer up a bit. 😊

We're allowed a poor/average performance. We'll have another one at some point. We also won't know how good a side Harrogate are for another handful of games yet, but I have a feeling they'll be one of the better sides in the league this season. Cheer up a bit. 

I know that, think my frustration was that we looked like we’d just rocked up with zero game plan. JA should’ve swapped Cullen and Rodney early doors or gave the team a right Rocket to play into Cullens feet, he’s at his best when he can bring players into the forward play and spin off.

We had plenty of rest before today’s game and we just did not look like we were at the races today. Clean sheet and a point and we go again.

The positive is... those that played below par will be dropped in favour of the broader squad.

16 minutes ago, fraggle said:

I know that, think my frustration was that we looked like we’d just rocked up with zero game plan. JA should’ve swapped Cullen and Rodney early doors or gave the team a right Rocket to play into Cullens feet, he’s at his best when he can bring players into the forward play and spin off.

We had plenty of rest before today’s game and we just did not look like we were at the races today. Clean sheet and a point and we go again.

The positive is... those that played below par will be dropped in favour of the broader squad.

We had the same game plan as we did the two victories in the league beforehand. There wasn't any reason to do anything too different. But sometimes you just have to credit the opposition for getting their own game plan spot on. They had a good chance in extra time but for pretty much all of the 2nd half I felt if there was going to be a team that wins it, it would only be us. And with Pope in the side today ahead of Cullen I think we do win this game. Maybe a draw will keep our feet on the ground though. Still an excellent start to the season with more to come and players to come back into contention.

I've seen a few comments resembling ' this is a game we'd of lost not long ago ' . 

How long are we going back? Last year we lost only one home game and 7 away. 

Joint 2nd best for defeats in the entire division. 

We haven't lost games like this for 18 months or more , our problem last season was drawing too many . 

I was extremely confident before the game, not arrogance, confidence after last week's excellent performance. 

Credit to Harrogate for a niggly horrible game where their game plan was to disrupt the game as much as possible and nick it 1-0. Quite nearly paid off. 

Whoever it was that posted they'll be top 10 or play offs I'll offer you 50 quid to the Hubb Foundation that they don't . 

2 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

It was a tough game against a well drilled physical outfit, so I’m fairly happy with a point. I thought our weak points today were at fullback and Worrall. Playing Fitz at LB reminds me of the start of last season when we played Crookes there, no attacking outlet whatsoever. Bit gutted that Monty has got injured, as he is a far better player than Fitz. Also Mills didn’t offer a lot and went hoofball. Gibbo should come straight back in when fit. 

The problem with Worrall in this system is that he just doesn’t have the pace to beat his man. He got in numerous good positions and just didn’t make it count. Amoo would have made a big difference today. 

On the plus side, Leon was superb, Manny got through 90 mins and I thought he was a lot better in the second half. Rodney looked a threat and gave us some physicality in the middle. 

Food for thought for JA, but the good thing is, we do have options to change it up. UTV. 

Yes, food for thought for JA. The irony is he's assembled a squad that would probably do more than survive in L1 but here we are in L2 struggling against a very limited side like Harrogate. It's no coincidence that we were much better last season against footballing sides and struggled against the dross. To any watching manager, Harrogate have shown just how to make life difficult for us, so JA has to find a way to beat opponents like this. 

We will be much better when we have Gibbo and Monty back at fullback because they offer so much more of a threat going forward and, against dross like Harrogate, a forward like Pope or Devante who are going to rough them up a bit at the back, providing sufficient distraction for our ball playing forwards to exploit their lack of footballing skill. It does require, of course, every other member of the side to turn up, not be intimidated and battle until we dominate them with proper football.

The other missing element today, though we got it a bit when Smudge started to get forward, is partnerships down the flanks: Gibbo and Wozza/Amoo or, on the left, Monty and Devante/McKirdy. Can't wait for them to get back. 

I'm sure JA will get it right. It's just been so frustrating today playing against a team with more than a passing resemblance to the Wimbledon of old - effective but really ugly. The sooner we get out of this dungeon called League 2, the better.

5 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I've seen a few comments resembling ' this is a game we'd of lost not long ago ' . 

How long are we going back? Last year we lost only one home game and 7 away. 

Joint 2nd best for defeats in the entire division. 

We haven't lost games like this for 18 months or more , our problem last season was drawing too many . 

I was extremely confident before the game, not arrogance, confidence after last week's excellent performance. 

Credit to Harrogate for a niggly horrible game where their game plan was to disrupt the game as much as possible and nick it 1-0. Quite nearly paid off. 

Whoever it was that posted they'll be top 10 or play offs I'll offer you 50 quid to the Hubb Foundation that they don't . 

I'll have some of that!

In games like today’s you have to win the battle and I didn’t think we managed that first half.  Second half was a different story, ironically after Smudge went to RB, but too often an unforced misplaced pass cost us.

For some reason we persevered with long, high balls up to Cullen when it clearly was never going to be productive.  If Pope had been playing today people would’ve called it hoof ball, but at least he would’ve stood a chance with those tactics.  If we go long it needs to be a better ball, over the defenders, down the channels or wider, thereby turning the defenders and making the keeper decide to if to come or stay so the far quicker Rodders and Wozza can chase the ball into better areas, rather than being banged up the middle of the park for Cullen to be out jumped by some 6’4 defender and headed straight back for our defenders to deal with.

I watched the 5 mins either side of half time during our pit stop from the long drive back from Cornwall. It was obvious from this exactly what sort of game it was and how it would finish.

This is not a criticism and hindsight is wonderful but I did wonder what Askey’s logic was for starting Cullen in the middle, as this was really not his type of game. 

The logic is we do lack a bit of creativity in the middle of the park especially against these types of teams. Rodney looks better through the middle IMHO and with this line up we have lost a bit of potency down the flanks.

That said, it’s hard to argue against three clean sheets on the bounce and we’re a point closer to the 90 for promotion.

Harrogate were similar to the early Stevenage sides after their rise to the EFL. Spoiling tactics and efficient at it, maybe they could surprise a few as Stevenage did in their first year but I did think they lacked quality up front and once we got to grips with them we were the better side.

Positives defensively we look strong, three clean sheets is a good start (4 including the last league game last season), we’ve battled hard and even below our best ensured we got a point.

Felt some of the players had off days today, Worrall wasn’t his best and made a few poor passes, Conlon less effective and Cullen barely got a sniff.

Legge was immense and Brisley did well when he came on, thought Smith was better when at RB bizarrely and his aerial power worked well further up the pitch.

Brown made a great save on his only real required contribution.

Thought Fitzpatrick did ok too, he’s been a steady player for us.

Pope, Amoo and Gibbons back next week, options are growing!

Never known so many teams getting three clean sheets at the start of a season before but I'm certainly glad we are one of them.

On the game,we were sussed out by the opposition today who closed down our midfield and credit to their numbers 4 and 7,who were instrumental in that.You don't win many games with zero shots on target!

Archived