onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread : Port Vale v Harrogate Town

Fosse69

Very poor performance. We needed to do much better than that against a very well organised and physical (to put it mildly) side. Thought we looked much better with Smudge at right back who never gave their left winger a look in and almost won us the game with his overlapping run and pass to Wozza. We never imposed ourselves against a very limited side who managed to outmuscle us and think quicker than us all game. Our passing in particular was appalling and what the players were thinking, lumping it up to Cullen all half is beyond me. 

Positives are another clean sheet, a point after a poor performance, another towering performance from Leon and we have Gibbo, Amoo and Pope all to come back. 

An afternoon to forget. How anyone can watch Harrogate on a regular basis I'll never know. Horrible style of football and cynical at times. Kirby, their number 15 should have been sent off for that tackle on Smudge. Not what I would call a welcome, footballing, addition to L2.

Advert

I quite enjoyed it. First 25 minutes we had to dig in and earn the right to still be in the game. Thought it was then pretty even until the last 20 when I thought we shaded it. They tried for quantity of balls into the box we were trying to get quality balls in. Worrall hasn't quite clicked this season which is a little bit of a concern. 
What I thought. I thought Vale played better football but harrogate were more physical.

It was a tough game against a well drilled physical outfit, so I’m fairly happy with a point. I thought our weak points today were at fullback and Worrall. Playing Fitz at LB reminds me of the start of last season when we played Crookes there, no attacking outlet whatsoever. Bit gutted that Monty has got injured, as he is a far better player than Fitz. Also Mills didn’t offer a lot and went hoofball. Gibbo should come straight back in when fit. 

The problem with Worrall in this system is that he just doesn’t have the pace to beat his man. He got in numerous good positions and just didn’t make it count. Amoo would have made a big difference today. 

On the plus side, Leon was superb, Manny got through 90 mins and I thought he was a lot better in the second half. Rodney looked a threat and gave us some physicality in the middle. 

Food for thought for JA, but the good thing is, we do have options to change it up. UTV. 

5 minutes ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:
15 minutes ago, JRC said:
I quite enjoyed it. First 25 minutes we had to dig in and earn the right to still be in the game. Thought it was then pretty even until the last 20 when I thought we shaded it. They tried for quantity of balls into the box we were trying to get quality balls in. Worrall hasn't quite clicked this season which is a little bit of a concern. 

What I thought. I thought Vale played better football but harrogate were more physical.

Let us hope that Manny can keep fit,  class there. 

Just now, valiant_593 said:

What he said was spot on..

That the performance was unacceptable?

Despite our position prior to kick off, we're not a team that's going to perform at or close to our best every week. And sometimes we'll play a side that won't make things easy for us. Despite not hitting the heights today we still could have won the game.

4 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

It was a tough game against a well drilled physical outfit, so I’m fairly happy with a point. I thought our weak points today were at fullback and Worrall. Playing Fitz at LB reminds me of the start of last season when we played Crookes there, no attacking outlet whatsoever. Bit gutted that Monty has got injured, as he is a far better player than Fitz. Also Mills didn’t offer a lot and went hoofball. Gibbo should come straight back in when fit. 

The problem with Worrall in this system is that he just doesn’t have the pace to beat his man. He got in numerous good positions and just didn’t make it count. Amoo would have made a big difference today. 

On the plus side, Leon was superb, Manny got through 90 mins and I thought he was a lot better in the second half. Rodney looked a threat and gave us some physicality in the middle. 

Food for thought for JA, but the good thing is, we do have options to change it up. UTV. 

Don't see Worrall as any slower than last season. This season he's under and over hitting his passes. He's too good a player for it not to click soon. Players have had very short preseasons to get that match sharpness. I think Worrall is a player who needs a run of games to be at his best. Last year he also had a good understanding with Gibbo and Monty, which he hasn't quite got with Mills.

Archived