onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread : Port Vale v Harrogate Town

Fosse69

Advert

Just now, eh up nah said:

Thought Worrall was poor today and, when Amoo comes back, he is probably favourite to make way for me.  Thought he was awful with his passing today.

Never had a moment against them. Probably a bad time to play them as they're still riding the promotion wave. They will fall away in a couple of months I think as there isnt much quality in their side, just a load of hard work.

Take the point, still yet to concede a league goal and move on to next week against a pretty poor Morecambe.

Hard work and organisation gets you far in League Two. If they regularly defend as well as they did today they have every chance of being up there come the end of the season.

Frustrating game but props to Harrogate for making it difficult. Ugly and physical side but it does the job. 

That ref was ridiculous though, every time a Harrogate player went down the ref blew his whistle. League 2 standard refereeing is still really poor. That should have been a red for the Smith foul in my opinion. 

Still that's three clean sheets now which shows how solid we are at the back. Legge MOTM today for me , won practically everything. 

With Pope , Amoo and Gibbons close to being back Hopefully we can really push on and keep the momentum going.

1 minute ago, Doha said:

He's right about passing and decision making. The amount of loose panicked balls being turned over was pathetic. 

Askey got it wrong in the first half.

First half was poor, second half much better. But to say the performance was unacceptable is an absolute load of nonsense.

Really tedious match to watch. Not really the fault of Vale as Harrogate were basically just physically resolute and I must say their fitness levels were very impressive. Their actual football was turgid to watch and they never really had any pace to threaten us and make the game more open. 

For Vale, I felt we could have been much better. Some really scrappy stuff especially from Rodney and Worrall meant that our attacks lost the momentum I’d been used to in recent games. Mckirdy looked good when he came on and helped to stretch their shape a bit more but I think that was because he had fresher legs than actually being a better alternative to Worrall. 

Never actually noticed Cullen was on the pitch for most of the game but that was really due to a lack of service. 

A draw was right, I never bought the commentator view of Bowers that we were stretched. They had a lot of the ball at the end of the first half but did little with it. 

Overall the hardest battle in this match was staying awake. 

Our best attack in terms of ability right now would be McKirdy, Amoo and Pope or Cullen, depending on the opposition. Rodney can be an absolute handful but right now he would be better as an option from the bench against tiring opposition. Worrall has been bang average so far and I still think he's more of a busy midfielder than a wide player.

4 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

Thought Worrall was poor today and, when Amoo comes back, he is probably favourite to make way for me.  Thought he was awful with his passing today.

Never had a moment against them. Probably a bad time to play them as they're still riding the promotion wave. They will fall away in a couple of months I think as there isnt much quality in their side, just a load of hard work.

Take the point, still yet to concede a league goal and move on to next week against a pretty poor Morecambe.

Morecambe who are just 1 point behind us?

A bit of a grubby game, but not too long ago the sort of game we'd have lost.

To be fair, first half I thought Harrogate were excellent, big and ugly and they did their homework. They caused a few problems that we didn't have any answers to. All over the pitch it felt like we couldn't get any change out of them. That and poor decision making meant we didn't have enough to break them down.

Not a bad point all in all but plenty of food for thought for JA who needs to devise some sort of Plan B for these situations.

I quite enjoyed it. First 25 minutes we had to dig in and earn the right to still be in the game. Thought it was then pretty even until the last 20 when I thought we shaded it. They tried for quantity of balls into the box we were trying to get quality balls in. Worrall hasn't quite clicked this season which is a little bit of a concern. 

3 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

Got to say it was a fair result. We weren’t great but they worked really hard to close us down and kept it up for 75mins.

No one wins em all. I would have taken 7/9 three weeks ago.

Win our two home games and get a point away to Exeter, and everyone is snatching your hand off before a ball has been kicked this season.

I don't think we played much worse than we did in the previous two games. We just played opposition that stuck to their gameplan effectively and threw bodies in the way when they needed to. A few of our players weren't quite at it, or weren't allowed to be at it. It happens. Let's appreciate our third clean sheet in the league on the trot and the fact that we've yet to taste defeat in League Two. I fancy us to beat Morecambe next week, albeit it won't be easy.

The ball was desperate for the final whistle for a rest.

Difficult to win a game of football unless you at least match your opponents physically and it took all Vale had to do this. If Worrall's chance had gone in it would have been a different game.

We could have got steamrollered today but Leon Legge in particular and the rest of the spine of the team were superb.

8 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

That ref was ridiculous though, every time a Harrogate player went down the ref blew his whistle. League 2 standard refereeing is still really poor. That should have been a red for the Smith foul in my opinion.

Agree about the ref, he loved the sound of his whistle. He was like a PE teacher.

Archived