onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread : Port Vale v Harrogate Town

Fosse69

7 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Think he’ll go with the same team if everyone is fit. 

Brown

Mills  Legge  Smith  Fitz

Manny  Joyce  Conlon

Worrall  Cullen  Rodney 

For me, that is our strongest combination in midfield and should play every week barring injuries and loss of form.

I’d like to see Gibbo and Monty come back in when the time is right, especially at home, to give us that extra attacking threat.

Will be interesting when Amoo and McKirdy are fully fit. If Rodney has come to Vale to play through the middle, then that adds to the dilemma. Maybe away from home there is a case to move Rodney into the middle and bring in Amoo, which will give us plenty of pace as outlets. 

Trying not to get too overexcited, as it’s very early days. However, I think a good start was paramount to a promotion push, and we are well on our way to doing that. Look forward to Saturday. UTV. 

I’m getting excited, this is the best Vale SQUAD for several years.

That said, I do agree with VFIA about how, for however well we played on Saturday, if they hadn’t squandered 3 gilt-edged chances peoples (including me) perceptions might have been slightly different.

So I’d say we’re not exactly watertight at the back (for Seymours chances both crosses came in way too easily and he was unmarked both times) and need to try and manage the close of games better.

And yes, I know we won with a clean sheet and Exeter are one of the better teams we’ll face.

Advert

I do feel that with Leon/Nathan on the pitch and a few others we do benefit from the vocal communication that they have. The flicked header on Saturday, just wide was an example. The Exeter player got between them both, they just touched hands and there was no argument on fault. This is the benefit of having a squad that gels. Harrogate will also be in this mold, nothing to lose and playing for a football league/career future. It will be a good game I hope, 4-3 for the Vale. 

3 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Think he’ll go with the same team if everyone is fit. 

Brown

Mills  Legge  Smith  Fitz

Manny  Joyce  Conlon

Worrall  Cullen  Rodney 

For me, that is our strongest combination in midfield and should play every week barring injuries and loss of form.

I’d like to see Gibbo and Monty come back in when the time is right, especially at home, to give us that extra attacking threat.

Will be interesting when Amoo and McKirdy are fully fit. If Rodney has come to Vale to play through the middle, then that adds to the dilemma. Maybe away from home there is a case to move Rodney into the middle and bring in Amoo, which will give us plenty of pace as outlets. 

Trying not to get too overexcited, as it’s very early days. However, I think a good start was paramount to a promotion push, and we are well on our way to doing that. Look forward to Saturday. UTV. 

Feel free to get excited. We have one of the best squads in the league, a manager that knows what he's doing and we should only get better from here on in as the new players settle and improve. Obviously you can never take anything for granted, but there's no reason not to be incredibly optimistic about our chances this season.

2 hours ago, ginginator said:

I do feel that with Leon/Nathan on the pitch and a few others we do benefit from the vocal communication that they have. The flicked header on Saturday, just wide was an example. The Exeter player got between them both, they just touched hands and there was no argument on fault. This is the benefit of having a squad that gels. Harrogate will also be in this mold, nothing to lose and playing for a football league/career future. It will be a good game I hope, 4-3 for the Vale. 

How do you suddenly go to having us concede 3 goals after two clean sheets in the league?! We're playing Harrogate, not Barca. 😆

5 hours ago, TylerB said:

How do you suddenly go to having us concede 3 goals after two clean sheets in the league?! We're playing Harrogate, not Barca. 😆

Well MrB I was just studying the scores in all leagues, lots of goals. Plus Vale have not had a 4-3 for a while so I plumped for that, I think it will be an open game and if Leeds can score 3 @ Anfield then who knows 😉

Irrespective of who plays in defence or in goal we just need to ride our luck and hope the opposition don’t find the back of the net (like exeter couldn’t at the weekend). We’ve already conceded at Scunthorpe and fleetwood where we were punished so teams will always get a chance in the game,  Harrogate will no doubt create something on Saturday, but I’m confident we’ll have too much for them. 

2 hours ago, ginginator said:

Well MrB I was just studying the scores in all leagues, lots of goals. Plus Vale have not had a 4-3 for a while so I plumped for that, I think it will be an open game and if Leeds can score 3 @ Anfield then who knows 😉

As the advert says "Do it for Yorkshire" luckily the Tea Bar is shut.

It is going to be another cracking game on Saturday against a Harrogate side that has plenty of attacking threat. Someone posted a while back that they like to attack down the flanks with their overlapping fullbacks and it seems that the right hand side seems to be their strongest. There's an interesting piece in the report of their last league game against Walsall:

After falling behind early Town began to enjoy the better of the play. The pristine pitch at the Keepmoat Stadium suiting their passing style and the right-sided duo of Ryan Fallowfield and George Thomson imposed themselves on the game.

You can see this in the video highlights of the game against Southend and Walsall, so they're worth a watch.

https://www.skysports.com/football/southend-vs-harrogate-t/430267

https://www.skysports.com/football/harrogate-t-vs-walsall/report/430275

Hopefully, we'll be ready for this and they'll have too much to think about coping with Devante on that right side of theirs.

This one should be a routine victory if we are expecting to be a top 3 team.

First and foremost though we need to work harder them to earn then right to play.If we play our high tempo game, which we did in a short spell against Crawley, I would expect our quality to shine through.

Assuming Gibbo & Amoo are no where near match fitness

Brown

Mills Legge Smitth Monty

Conlon. Joyce Manny

Wozza Cullen Rodney

Match them (or more) for work-rate and we'll win the game, simple as that. They have some useful players, we have lots of them. They'll finish mid-table I think come the end of the season and if we want out of the league we can't be dropping points at home to sides like this. We'll do fine as long as no complacency sets in, and this early on in the season especially, it shouldn't.

Archived