onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Premier League 20/21

TylerB

Advert

On 03/02/2021 at 01:13, TylerB said:

I've always thought he was bang average, or at least since his leg break, but to be fair to him he's been the best left-back in the country this season. Surely he gets in ahead of Chilwell for England at left-back.

Or how about neither of them. James Justin. Everything the modern day footballer should be. 

7 hours ago, toyahw said:

Think it is Citeh's to lose now. The scouse showing just how hard it is to retain the title. Still a good team but seem a bit mentally shot at the moment. 

The rest are a muchness.

Too many injuries for them. They’ll do well to get champions league at this rate 

10 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Too many injuries for them. They’ll do well to get champions league at this rate 

Not so sure it's too many i think it can be put down to the centre halves.

Can only recall Van Dijk and his partner Gomez/Matip. I just think when you look at the comparitive benches they have lagged behind City a bit.

City have had Laporte and Aguero barely kick a ball all season.

For 3 seasons the Liverpool team has picked itself, they barely had injuries.

I think stats will back me up that Salah for example has barely missed a single game, compare that to regular injuries for Aguero, Kane for Spurs and they have got away lightly until the horrendous challenge by Pickford put paid to Van Dijk.

City bench last night 

Walker, Foden, Mendy, Torres, Fernandinho

Liverpool last night

Oxlade, Jones, Tmisikas, Origi and the two Williams 

On 29/01/2021 at 20:47, TylerB said:

I think Man City will win it by a decent numbers of points come the end of the season. They've suddenly stumbled upon a rock solid back four after years of being dodgy (even with an ageing Kompany) and are by far the in-form side. They also have the best squad too, which always helps.

Years of being dodgy? Conceded less than a goal a game last season and only 23 the year before. Yes they were worse than usual last season which is why Liverpool won the league but considering how good you claimed Liverpool to be citeh only conceded 2 more goals than Liverpool in the league. 

23 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Not so sure it's too many i think it can be put down to the centre halves.

Can only recall Van Dijk and his partner Gomez/Matip. I just think when you look at the comparitive benches they have lagged behind City a bit.

City have had Laporte and Aguero barely kick a ball all season.

For 3 seasons the Liverpool team has picked itself, they barely had injuries.

I think stats will back me up that Salah for example has barely missed a single game, compare that to regular injuries for Aguero, Kane for Spurs and they have got away lightly until the horrendous challenge by Pickford put paid to Van Dijk.

City bench last night 

Walker, Foden, Mendy, Torres, Fernandinho

Liverpool last night

Oxlade, Jones, Tmisikas, Origi and the two Williams 

Cities squad is far stronger I agree. I actually think the fact that the likes of salah and mane playing every week for 3 years is now coming back to bite them they certainly look fatigued. 

I do think the Cb injuries are huge though. Not only was VVD the best Cb in the league it meant that Henderson and fabinho have had to fill in there, messing up their midfield. It’s they’re on fault really they let lovren go and didn’t replace him so we’re short at the back. 

Difference there with city is they replaced them. Diaz is brilliant, him and stones look class together and now Laporte is having to settle for left back. They have struggled up top but as they’re conceding so few goals I can’t say they missed aguero that much. I think Spurs will miss kane massively though. 

Fair points.

Liverpool have a fantastic first XI when everyone is fit and playing to form. No doubt about that. But they don't have a huge pool of talent if they get a few injuries. City of course has more money and a bigger squad. Their bench is frightening when everyone is fit and they have tended to bring in 1-2 and freshen up the squad over the years. United have done the same.

The Liverpool lads look tired and a bit weary, as you say. 

They also rely on the high press and playing at fast pace - and with so many matches in such a short space of time due to Covid I think it's impacted on their ability to keep it up game after game after game.

A bit like the Vale. 😉

1 hour ago, WV said:

Years of being dodgy? Conceded less than a goal a game last season and only 23 the year before. Yes they were worse than usual last season which is why Liverpool won the league but considering how good you claimed Liverpool to be citeh only conceded 2 more goals than Liverpool in the league. 

I meant dodgy in regards to trying to settle on a centre-back partnership once Kompany retired. Think about how many different centre-backs they've had and tried over the years. The likes of Mangala, Savic, Otamendi, Nastasic, Demichelis were all poor to shocking, and even Stones was a car crash most of the time before this season. It's the reason why they have continued to fall short in the Champions League under Guardiola, though that may change this season.

Liverpool need a big clearout in the summer. I can see at least one of the front three being sold, possibly two. Firmino is clearly past his best, and Salah, although obviously world-class still on his day, he has also peaked and I'd consider selling him while you can still got a large amount for him. Liverpool should enter the race to sign Sancho and go with a front three of Sancho, Mane and Jota next season. How Origi and Shaqiri are still at the club I have no idea, especially the former. He's got a few important goals here and there but he's Sheffield United level. Oxlade-Chamberlain should also be on the to go list along with a few others. That guy is never going to fulfill his potential.

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Or how about neither of them. James Justin. Everything the modern day footballer should be. 

He's been brilliant this season, as has Matty Cash, and should definitely be in consideration. One thing England do have is some wonderful full-backs when you consider we can select from Alexander-Arnold, James, Walker, Trippier, Justin, Cash, Wan-Bissaka, Walker-Peters, Lamptey, Chilwell, Saka, Shaw, Targett... Even Cresswell is playing well for West Ham this season.

Archived