Charlatans in football. How do we stop it?

After today’s shocking news that Macc’ have been wound up, I wonder how do we stop unscrupulous people from getting their grubby hands on our football clubs ?

Macc owner Amar Alkadhi is the latest vagabond to use one of our oldest clubs as a play thing or even, possibly, his own private blue & white piggy bank.

How do we stop it ? Can we stop it ?

5 minutes ago, mbycars said:

Says in the report on BBC sport page that John Askey was owed £173,000. That would mean he was one of the petitioners in the winding up order. I actually thought it was Sol Campbell who was owed the money.

John Askey sent counsel to instruct his support for the winding up order . As would I, if owed £173,000

1 hour ago, mbycars said:

Says in the report on BBC sport page that John Askey was owed £173,000. That would mean he was one of the petitioners in the winding up order. I actually thought it was Sol Campbell who was owed the money.

Both are owed money. Askey was never paid his promotion bonus 

What makes it even worse, only in the last few days he has signed up 10 players on contracts.  What on earth are their agents doing?  What is the PFA doing?  The owner's behaviour is appalling, but so called professionals have turned a "Nelsonian" blind eye to his continued dealings.   It is clear that when John Askey left that he could not afford a manager, so he engages a high profile man in Sol Campbell.  Tim Flowers was only recently appointed.  Did the representatives of these two high profile former England players carry out any "due diligence" checks? It would seem not.

Why are professional footballer people continuing to sign up for this charlatan?  

Why did the proposed takeover and sale by a prominent Manchester businessman not proceed?

There is so much going on beneath the surface here, and the EFL has a huge responsibility now to ensure that behaviour like this can never be repeated.  They also need to ensure that crooks are not allowed to buy football clubs.

Like all true fans, I feel so much for the fans of the Silkmen.  

1 hour ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

I don't think I would. Will he be more or less likely to get his money now?

It will be a last resort option, Macc could still be saved if someone buys them, so JA is a creditor and would at least get a % I believe of what he is owed.

Edited by ginginator

Although not relevant in Macc’s case, I often wonder what part administrators have in these clubs plights. After all, in an administration situation it is they who decides who can buy the club.

Bob Young for example landed us with Bratt & Co and then followed that up with Smurfthwaite. What a double that was ! Also, his preferred buyer in Ryder never even came up with the cash ! 

Not the most inspired choices,  but if it’s them or oblivion what do you do ? Devil or the deep blue sea ? 

But we simply cannot allow these asset strippers to continue to leave their trail of destruction across our national game. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Although not relevant in Macc’s case, I often wonder what part administrators have in these clubs plights. After all, in an administration situation it is they who decides who can buy the club.

Bob Young for example landed us with Bratt & Co and then followed that up with Smurfthwaite. What a double that was ! Also, his preferred buyer in Ryder never even came up with the cash ! 

Not the most inspired choices,  but if it’s them or oblivion what do you do ? Devil or the deep blue sea ? 

But we simply cannot allow these asset strippers to continue to leave their trail of destruction across our national game. 

Made the same point about Young. Dreadful decisions. Yes hindsight is a great thing i understand that , once, maybe unlucky , twice is just sheer bad practice. Throw Ryder into the pot too and Young etc come out of it terribly, as do numerous other clubs such as the Wigan debacle.

Agents and in my opinion Administrators are parasites that the game can do without.

Sadly the EFL bury their heads in the sand with the likes of the Bury, Wigan, Bolton etc etc etc situations.

And lo and behold Bolton are now again spending stupid money it appears . 

2 hours ago, ginginator said:

It will be a last resort option, Macc could still be saved if someone buys them, so JA is a creditor and would at least get a % I believe of what he is owed.

As I understand it Macclesfield Town are defunct as of today? The owner tried to say someone was interested in buying the club but the judge didn't believe him and put it into liquidation. It's not in administration like Wigan Athletic, it's gone

36 minutes ago, Wrex said:

As I understand it Macclesfield Town are defunct as of today? The owner tried to say someone was interested in buying the club but the judge didn't believe him and put it into liquidation. It's not in administration like Wigan Athletic, it's gone

They are unless the owner pays up and the winding up order is overturned. Liquidation beckons probably, turning over a winding up order is not going to happen. Amar Alkadhi  is the one who can and he wont appeal I doubt

I would like to think that JA wouldn’t bother with any bonuses and just take what is owed to him, with a view to helping out the club that started off his managerial career. On the other side of the coin it was a legally binding contract.

in relation to him being a creditor he will get the full amount. I remember watching a tv programme once and all footballing staff get paid the full amount that they’re owed. It’s only the small businesses that have business with the club that have to fight for scraps.

Askey is entitled to his contractual payment.  Why should he waive his rights when the owner has scammed the club for ages?  Alkhadi claimed in court that he had £1.1 million in an account and showed a screenshot of the account.  The judge told him he had no idea where the money had come from and if it was available to pay the debts, why hadn't he paid them.

• Like 1

With regard to the issue of stopping charlatans taking over clubs, you will not do it until the League introduces harsher rules on new owners.  How about making them lodge a sum at the League - a million quid - which is forfeit the first time they fail to pay wages or meet their HMRC obligations?

• Like 3

• robf changed the title to Charlatans in football. How do we stop it?
On 16/09/2020 at 15:25, mr.hobblesworth said:

I don't think I would. Will he be more or less likely to get his money now?

He's more likely to get some of it now. As per a poster put it on the Macc forum:

He had no choice. Once it became apparent that winding up was likely rather than just an option, if he hadn't been part of the winding up order he would have been just an ordinary creditor. His claim is prioritised and becomes one that must be paid if Amar is to weasle his way out of this

The view of the Macc fans in general (and I fully agree) is that he is not seen as to blame and it is perfectly reasonable for him to seek money he was due. Some more comments from the Macc forum:

I understand he held off for a long time in making his claim to give the club the best opportunity to come good, unlike others (Sol, HMRC etc) who were straight in there.

The club owe him £173,000. One hundred and seventy three thousand pounds. Can anyone afford to be owed that

Would you seriously expect him or anyone else to completely waive a large sum of money owed? HMRC brought the winding up petition anyway. Amar has not paid debts to a range of creditors, including Sir John. It’s Amar’s fault, he has brought the club to this position, no one else.