onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread : Exeter City v Port Vale

Fosse69

Felt sorry for Burgess but football can be harsh and there is no doubting a fit Manny is a shoe-in. 

His time will come again along with all the other players on the bench. 

Fingers crossed now for some sort of sense from the powers that be that those who want to and feel safe enough can go and watch the mighty Vale hopefully against Carlisle and onwards. 

Advert

What is really exciting is the fact that we have not yet hit top gear. Players are fitting in perfectly and we still have plenty of room for improvement, yet we have kept 2 clean sheets and achieved maximum points. Early days I know, but what a tremendous amount of pleasure and belief the new owners/manager/staff and squad have given us in a short space of time.

It is absolutely brilliant being a Valiant now and we are all chomping at the bit to get out there to support our heroes. This is surely our year? A year to commence the super revival of our great Club. VTID.

Let's hope that this positive togetherness long continues. It's something we lacked until Askey arrived. Adam's promotion squad had it and if you have a dressing room that is supportive of one another it gives you that extra 5% that teams need.

We talk about the bench but the whole squad is a lot stronger. It's so competitive. We've got a large number of players now who arguably can play in the first XI and do well.

I'm not suggesting at this moment breaking up the partnership at the back but Brisley was excellent at the end of last season and our two full backs then were Gibbons and Monty (who I always love to see playing). Burgess was key last year too. Whitehead is shaping up as his fitness improves. Amoo has largely been forgotten because he's been injured but his pace is a big threat at our level. And after all that we could, in addition, play a front three of McKirdy, Pope and Robinson.

We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves but we have got off to a promising start. 

It's frustrating that we can't be there to watch them.

1 hour ago, Guitar Ray said:

We look a “tougher” team this season and have battled hard in all our games so far.  That toughness and a bit of extra quality is what won us the game yesterday.

Conlon is very competitive and looks stronger this season. We already knew he had the ability but I thought he looks more controlled in his aggression so far.  In Manny we have the extra power in the middle of the park that we probably lacked last season.  Rodney gives us a great option up front.  We still also have the solidity in defence from last season.

It’ll be interesting to see how significant a result it was yesterday.  Exeter could go either way this season as they look to put heir faith in youth.  I was impressed with several of their young players but it will depend on their confidence and consistency over what will be an intense season.  We look better placed as the Fleetwood game showed our squad is decent throughout and we have a lot of consistency which should stand us in good stead for the coming months.

Still early days but looking good.

It was interesting to hear Askey say in his post match interview That last year we got bullied by Exeter in midfield.

Conlon and Manny certainly turned that around yesterday!

Great result!

8 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

It was interesting to hear Askey say in his post match interview That last year we got bullied by Exeter in midfield.

Conlon and Manny certainly turned that around yesterday!

Great result!

Amongst all the plaudits being given out, quite rightly, the one player who just keeps doing it for me and must be an absolute nightmare to play against is Smudge. He is horrible, in a brilliant way for Vale......not flash and can make mistakes but if I was a forward I wouldn't want him behind me, going through, up or over me. He's tugging shirts, nibbling ankles, little pushes and pulls .....doing all the dirty work that goes unnoticed in keeping 2 clean sheets. He doesn't complain or fall over when he gets it and I wouldn't want to give him a little dig first because it is coming back in spades at some time during the game! It is a formidable partnership with Leggey and to think we have Brisley and Crookes as cover is incredible. He just makes me smile and wince watching him, thinking, thank God he plays for us.

Good days at the moment, hey....let's ride the waves and when the odd speed-bump happens take it in our stride......but I am trying desperately to keep a lid on my excitement currently. As someone said earlier I'm sad we've got to wait a week now to watch that and let Harrogate see what a proper team looks like on a bigger paddock they will be used to.

Goooaaarrrrn Vale...... 

16 minutes ago, The French Connection said:

SFBT
"From what I've seen so far, I think Pope will be first choice centre forward, and probably score double figures, maybe even 20."

Really? I'm thinking he'll be on the bench for much of the season.

I know!

Surprised me too 😊

I go along with almost everything that has been said about Vale's performances so far in the League but I have noticed that very occasionally the opposition wing-men are penetrating the defence and getting behind our fullbacks - leaving our centre-halves or Scott Brown to rescue them. So just tighten up a little chaps but otherwise playing very well. Bob Norbury.

2 hours ago, bomber said:

The gospel according to St John ! 20 clean sheets = promotion. 18 to ho then !

I was thinking of that philosophy yesterday. 

Both league games have been very enjoyable.  Long may it continue.

I agree that the strength in depth that we have this year could prove a big difference.  In previous years you only had to lose a couple of players from the 1st 11 and the cracks would begin to show.  The side that we fielded in the league cup looked almost as strong as the team that played yesterday.

• 3 months later...

Archived