onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread : Exeter City v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

3 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Interesting take from the co-commentator on Radio Devon... we’re a tall, physical side but do not have many weaknesses in the team, with a very good goalkeeper, two solid stoppers in Smith and Legge, industrious midfield and pace up front. 

None of Fitzpatrick, Joyce, Conlon, Worrall or Cullen can be considered anything close to tall! (of those that started today)

Terrific professional performance at one of the toughest places to visit in the division. The encouraging thing is I don't think we are firing on all cylinders yet. The player of last season Wozzer has been industrious but pretty quiet going forward, Manny is still gaining match fitness, Burgess is finding his form and despite his goal scoring, I think Cullen can get better. 

We look a stronger squad and have options that we didn't have 12 months ago. Things are looking very promising.

Clearly a very good win and I thought we looked a solid. 4 moments of quality really made the difference:

Brown's save

Rodney's finish

Conlon's through ball

Conlon's goal

Looking at results today and some of the quality in one or two sides I think it will be a very tight league this season. I certainly feel we will be in the mix. I was told the day after we signed Rodney that he would be the x factor that could make the difference this season. Having him on the left gives us a second out ball, which I think is going to help away from home. Man of the Match was Conlon for me, purely down to his two moments of magic making the difference. Need to follow this result with a home win next Saturday. Good to see Oyeleke back - I think we have only lost one game with Conlon, Joyce and Oyeleke starting over the last 3 years.

Evening All, long time reader, first time contributor. Want to say a big thank you firstly to all of you lot for keeping me informed, entertained and something resembling sane regarding all things Vale over the past few 'trying' years, and for all that many of you did in helping get rid of N**m. 

Anyway, it's so good to be able to make my first post after a game like that. Thought in all honesty that it was a fairly even game in most respects, the difference being they missed their chances whilst we had two wonderfully executed goals, but we do look like such a well-drilled, organised squad that they can't have any arguments with us taking the 3 points.

Conlon MotM for me, had to be after that free-kick and the assist, he's looking absolute class so far this season, but closely followed today by Smith, with Legge a beast as usual (and whilst Bowman got away with treading on him, thought there were a couple that could have gone against Legge too, was just a good physical battle).

I was encouraged by both full-backs today as well, thought both of them made some very timely interventions and read the game well, particularly first half, and Fitz kept Williams fairly quiet when he came on too. Mills I think tired a little last 15, hence he couldn't get over to block those two crosses, but not surprising given he's played every minute of the three games in the last week. While I'd take a 100% fit Gibbo over Mills, I'd be tempted to stick with Fitz at LB, certainly for away games, with Monty a great option (dependent on opposition shape/quality) at LW to provide more support coming back, moving Rodney over to terrify their CBs.

Rodney has all the hallmarks of a proper fan's favourite, definitely going to be the kind of player to both delight and frustrate everyone, and hopefully the balance between the two will gradually improve as the season wears on, but there's a great player in there. With his pace and strength, coupled with occasional poor decision-making and aimlessness, he reminds me a bit of a lower-league version of Adama Traoré of Wolves, in his Boro days maybe. Great asset either way.

Very happy to see Manny back as well, the man's class and (injuries permitting) will only get stronger over the coming weeks. To think Burgess, given how good he was second half of last season, is now behind Manny and Whitehead in the pecking order is a really good indicator as to the strength of our squad. All this with McKirdy (and to an extent Theo) still to get up to speed, plus Amoo, Gibbo and Pope to come back. Wow. Happy days. UTV!

1 minute ago, JRC said:

Clearly a very good win and I thought we looked a solid. 4 moment of quality really made the difference:

Brown's save

Rodney's finish

Conlon's through ball

Conlon's goal

Looking at results today and some of the quality in one or two sides I think it will be a very tight league this season. I certainly feel we will be in the mix. I was told the day after we signed Rodney that he would be the x factor that could make the difference this season. Having him on the left gives us a second out ball, which I think is going to help away from home. Man of the Match was Conlon for me, purely down to his two moments of magic making the difference. Need to follow this result with a home win next Saturday. Good to see Oyeleke back - I think we have only lost one game with Conlon, Joyce and Oyeleke starting over the last 3 years.

Yes, and a masterstroke by Askey to bring Montano on and move Rodney to the middle. If he keeps doing that, the only person on the opposition who will be happy is the right back!

Just seen Conlon's goal again.  What a cracker and Rodders goal was another composed goal, seeing the goalie rushing out and the defender trying to put him off.

It seems we are getting goals from the team and not relying on one person again.

Looks a promising start to the season, trying to not get mega excited, but this could be our season with what is happening off the pitch and now on it.

JA said there is more to come and the players need to close games down more.  If they learn to do that, what a team we will have.

That win can’t be underestimated and is a real statement of intent because exeter are a good side and that’s a tough place to go. Whether no crowd at grounds like this helps away teams is something we don’t know, but overall what a good performance. They had 2 unbelievable chances in the second half which is going to happen in games, but we rode our luck and Browns save is a good as a goal. Conlon has carried on from where he left off last season and on this evidence we are not going to miss Taylor. Legge was also immense too. Rodney showed exactly what pace gives you when you’re under pressure, which is something we’ve missed. And we still have Gibbo and Amoo to come back into the side too! 

Agree with the positive comments made.

That's as good an away win as you'll get in this League. 

Their first home defeat for a year, I believe.

Super effort from everyone involved. Gritty and determined but a touch of class from Conlon.

I'm unsure how we're going to keep all these players happy.  You could name another XI starters arguably just as good, especially in the final third. 

6 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Super effort from everyone involved. Gritty and determined but a touch of class from Conlon.

I'm unsure how we're going to keep all these players happy.  You could name another XI starters arguably just as good, especially in the final third. 

agree, come on you mighty greens!!!!!!!!!!!🤑

1 hour ago, Clayts said:

Evening All, long time reader, first time contributor. Want to say a big thank you firstly to all of you lot for keeping me informed, entertained and something resembling sane regarding all things Vale over the past few 'trying' years, and for all that many of you did in helping get rid of N**m. 

Anyway, it's so good to be able to make my first post after a game like that. Thought in all honesty that it was a fairly even game in most respects, the difference being they missed their chances whilst we had two wonderfully executed goals, but we do look like such a well-drilled, organised squad that they can't have any arguments with us taking the 3 points.

Conlon MotM for me, had to be after that free-kick and the assist, he's looking absolute class so far this season, but closely followed today by Smith, with Legge a beast as usual (and whilst Bowman got away with treading on him, thought there were a couple that could have gone against Legge too, was just a good physical battle).

I was encouraged by both full-backs today as well, thought both of them made some very timely interventions and read the game well, particularly first half, and Fitz kept Williams fairly quiet when he came on too. Mills I think tired a little last 15, hence he couldn't get over to block those two crosses, but not surprising given he's played every minute of the three games in the last week. While I'd take a 100% fit Gibbo over Mills, I'd be tempted to stick with Fitz at LB, certainly for away games, with Monty a great option (dependent on opposition shape/quality) at LW to provide more support coming back, moving Rodney over to terrify their CBs.

Rodney has all the hallmarks of a proper fan's favourite, definitely going to be the kind of player to both delight and frustrate everyone, and hopefully the balance between the two will gradually improve as the season wears on, but there's a great player in there. With his pace and strength, coupled with occasional poor decision-making and aimlessness, he reminds me a bit of a lower-league version of Adama Traoré of Wolves, in his Boro days maybe. Great asset either way.

Very happy to see Manny back as well, the man's class and (injuries permitting) will only get stronger over the coming weeks. To think Burgess, given how good he was second half of last season, is now behind Manny and Whitehead in the pecking order is a really good indicator as to the strength of our squad. All this with McKirdy (and to an extent Theo) still to get up to speed, plus Amoo, Gibbo and Pope to come back. Wow. Happy days. UTV!

A fine debut,  welcome to the site, look forward to your  future contributions. 

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

Difficult job for Askey, but surely preferable to scraping the barrel to fill  the bench.  With virtually two squads,  a winning team keeps their places, obviously injuries happen  which allow  challengers in.  Later on in the season rotation will be useful, but early on an opportunity to set a  pattern?  

Archived