Match Thread: FLC R2 Fleetwood Town v Port Vale

We weren't chosen for live coverage when we drew man city in the 3rd Round of the FA cup so I seriously doubt a third round carabao cup tie against an average PL team would be chosen
Funny that...salford v everton on tele tomorrow.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I for one think Askey did absolutely the right thing with the team last night. The League Cup has never been kind to us and we’ve had two difficult away draws, plus what’s the point of having a p

We should be aiming to win this. If the Everton game is on sky, that's a lot of revenue. If it isn't, we will still get as much or maybe even more revenue from Vale and Everton fans buying it through

I've been impressed with Hurst. Sure some people watch the game with their backs turned to the screen. He's caused their right back all sorts of trouble. He's a young lad developing. Of course he'll h

Good overall performance from a completely changed team from the weekend.

Pros:
Manny getting a good 70 mins - played very well...
Visser another solid performance - needs to work on his distribution and decision making when the ball is played back to him
Thought Mckirdy showed great pace and desire... that cross for the goal!
We looked generally like we had the game up to 70th minute, Vales changes turned the game in their favour, we really need to make sure players warn up effectively before coming on!

Cons:
The subs coming on at game pace, I thought Askey should have left them off.. but get why he took the likes of manny and mckirdy off (match fitness and protection)
Our constant hoof ball for the last 20 mins
Where was Robinson in large parts of the 2nd half... went missed, no good as a lone striker on that showing
Number of needless fouls we gave away, putting ourselves under pressure (the ref called most of them right for me)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

So is Robinson the scapegoat today with Fitzpatrick not playing?

Why does someone have to be a scapegoat? 

The facts are he was the worst player and missed practically an open goal. That’s not making anyone a scapegoat. He was the weakest player. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

Why does someone have to be a scapegoat? 

The facts are he was the worst player and missed practically an open goal. That’s not making anyone a scapegoat. He was the weakest player. 

Exactly not saying he is the reason we lost. Just he massively under performed you are allowed to Criticise someone’s performance 

• Like 1

This forum is full of people who see there arse the second you say anything negative about a player, it’s a discussion on the game Robinson had 0 contribution for 90 minutes literally did nothing people are allowed to critise a performance- I hope that he comes good for us and proves us wrong but to me personally he looks no different to the first time we had him 
This forum is also full of people that see THEIR arse if we have a striker that doesn't score a hat trick every game.

We lost to a scrappy couple of goals with our reserve team against a 1st team in a league higher than us. Why single out anyone?
  • Like 4

Obviously disappointing to lose but it could be of long-term benefit to have a few free midweeks coming up. (with just 1 EFL Trophy fixture in the next 4 midweeks).

Also great to hear that Oyeleke had a good game. IMO he's the best player we've got and is potentially the best midfielder in the division, and could be the difference in us finishing top 3 or not.

• Like 4

Just now, valeparklife said:

This forum is also full of people that see THEIR arse if we have a striker that doesn't score a hat trick every game.

We lost to a scrappy couple of goals with our reserve team against a 1st team in a league higher than us. Why single out anyone?

Where has anyone mentioned him not scoring a hat trick ? He literally did nothing for 90 minutes made 0 positive contributions in the game. I don’t mind a striker not scoring but he did nothing in terms of holding the call up or getting in behind. Link up play non existence. Let there cbs have a easy time. Missed a chance he should of been scoring. And it’s forum where we discuss the performance of players why can’t you discuss someone playing poorly? We’re all adults here if I do bad at work I get told I’m not performing what’s the difference 

I thought Hurst showed some promise. I think it's easy to forget how inexperienced he is. That was only his third senior appearance and clearly League Two footballers don't emerge fully formed. I think a couple more starts in the FL Trophy and he could be pushing for a place in the squad.

I wonder if Whitehead has edged ahead of Burgess for the next League game? He looked really good I felt. As did Manny but I suspect the club will want to ease him in gradually and not rush into giving him a League start.

Robinson was off the pace tonight but I think that's to be expected with the lack of a pre season. Yes, he missed one tonight but I reckon he needs more than two starts before people start getting on his back. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Was quite impressed overall tonight.

Positives for me were manny (we went backwards when Joyce came on), Hurst, Visser and mckirdy (second half).

Negatives were crookes (his distribution is still worful) and Robinson.

With regard to Robinson, he seemed to suffer the same fate as pope does in that for whatever reason our back line seems to take the easy option of just lumping it up to the big no 9. Do wish they'd stop that and have a bit more confidence.

Manny must start for me on Saturday.

Disagree on Crookes, he looks far better at centre half than left back. Up against some tricky forwards he did ok.

In defence of Theo, he had little or no service consistent with the type of player he is, apart from the one chance he had. Every Vale striker - Tom, Cullen (as on Saturday when he missed from six yards) and many others - has missed similar chances. It's no good hoofing the ball as we did in the last 20 minutes for a striker that needs the ball played to his feet or through the channels. Not a good performance tonight but it's one game. He will come good during the season, especially when we're at full strength.

Edited by CambridgeDon
  • Like 1

Where has anyone mentioned him not scoring a hat trick ? He literally did nothing for 90 minutes made 0 positive contributions in the game. I don’t mind a striker not scoring but he did nothing in terms of holding the call up or getting in behind. Link up play non existence. Let there cbs have a easy time. Missed a chance he should of been scoring. And it’s forum where we discuss the performance of players why can’t you discuss someone playing poorly? We’re all adults here if I do bad at work I get told I’m not performing what’s the difference 
How many minutes has he played and he's already being written off?

He's probably still not fully fit, and was playing against top 7 L1 quality opposition tonight.
  • Like 1

He's probably still not fully fit, and was playing against top 7 L1 quality opposition tonight.

8 minutes ago, robf said:

I thought Hurst showed some promise. I think it's easy to forget how inexperienced he is. That was only his third senior appearance and clearly League Two footballers don't emerge fully formed. I think a couple more starts in the FL Trophy and he could be pushing for a place in the squad.

I wonder if Whitehead has edged ahead of Burgess for the next League game? He looked really good I felt. As did Manny but I suspect the club will want to ease him in gradually and not rush into giving him a League start.

Robinson was off the pace tonight but I think that's to be expected with the lack of a pre season. Yes, he missed one tonight but I reckon he needs more than two starts before people start getting on his back. 

Don't think there's much between Burgess and Whitehead. On tonight and Saturday's performance, I'd say our best midfield three are Manny, Joyce and Conlon. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Nobody has written him off I said in a previous comment I hope he proves me wrong.im just going off what I’ve seen he would need to majorly improve to have any chance of breaking into the starting line up for a league game

22 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Because the one that’s being singled out missed basically an open goal. What do you expect? Dosent matter about fitness or opposition. Any striker should score that. 

• Like 1

Nobody has written him off I said in a previous comment I hope he proves me wrong.im just going off what I’ve seen he would need to majorly improve to have any chance of breaking into the starting line up for a league game
Is 17 minutes vs Scunthorpe and 90 minutes against L1 Fleetwood enough time to judge a player compared to his goal record over the last 2 seasons?