Match Thread: FLC R2 Fleetwood Town v Port Vale

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I for one think Askey did absolutely the right thing with the team last night. The League Cup has never been kind to us and we’ve had two difficult away draws, plus what’s the point of having a p

We should be aiming to win this. If the Everton game is on sky, that's a lot of revenue. If it isn't, we will still get as much or maybe even more revenue from Vale and Everton fans buying it through

I've been impressed with Hurst. Sure some people watch the game with their backs turned to the screen. He's caused their right back all sorts of trouble. He's a young lad developing. Of course he'll h

I won't hold any negative thoughts on that showing. 10 changes against the first team of one of the best sides in the league above, and we've lost by one goal. Couple of promising performances from Hurst and Whitehead. Manny was fantastic and if his fitness keeps up, he's going to be instrumental this season. Just hope Gibbo is back as soon as possible otherwise Zak Mills is going to be burnt out.

Roll on Saturday. Tough game, but the sort of game we need to see where we're at. Fancy us on current form though and their defensive frailties. Got some good young talent though so won't be an easy afternoon.

• Like 1

Things to take from tonight, out squad is extremely strong we didn’t disgrace ourselves with a reserve team out against a team who will be around play offs in league above. Manny got through another 70 mins looked like the manny we love and hopefully is getting past his injury problems. Mckirdy was quiet got assist for our goal but think he hasn’t had much of a pre season some minutes under his belt aswell. Visser again another strong performance. Whitehead got the goal wasn’t overly impressed with performance doesn’t look anything special to me but again good back up to our usual starters in midfield. Robinson doesn’t look to have much about in little hold up play movement no existent missed a sitter. I think he will find himself down the pecking order after tonight’s performance. Again I thought DTS looks like a player didn’t have much of the ball tonight but thought defensively he was good looks very tidy when in possession. Hurst looked bright but never caused much danger to opposition. Thought mills had a better game tonight than at the weekend aswel. Onto Saturday!

• Like 2

A very decent performance from us against a side expected for play offs. Just ran out of steam a little bit in the last 10 mins but overall very happy with that. More minutes for Manny, Monty plus nice to McKirdy show glimpses tonight. He will be a big asset for us. With Amoo to come its going to be very interesting to see the midfield selection when they are all fit.

The keeper looked good again and I thought Crookes was superb at the back.

If nothing else tonight has shown what an excellent squad we have.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vale1995 said:

Things to take from tonight, out squad is extremely strong we didn’t disgrace ourselves with a reserve team out against a team who will be around play offs in league above. Manny got through another 70 mins looked like the manny we love and hopefully is getting past his injury problems. Mckirdy was quiet got assist for our goal but think he hasn’t had much of a pre season some minutes under his belt aswell. Visser again another strong performance. Whitehead got the goal wasn’t overly impressed with performance doesn’t look anything special to me but again good back up to our usual starters in midfield. Robinson doesn’t look to have much about in little hold up play movement no existent missed a sitter. I think he will find himself down the pecking order after tonight’s performance. Again I thought DTS looks like a player didn’t have much of the ball tonight but thought defensively he was good looks very tidy when in possession. Hurst looked bright but never caused much danger to opposition. Thought mills had a better game tonight than at the weekend aswel. Onto Saturday!

Bit OTT with Robinson. He missed a very good chance and had a quiet game where we were on the backfoot for a lot of it. Did you see Kai Havert's debut performance for Chelsea last night?! Cullen has the shirt right now but I don't think Robinson will be slipping down the order based on one game.

Was quite impressed overall tonight.

Positives for me were manny (we went backwards when Joyce came on), Hurst, Visser and mckirdy (second half).

Negatives were crookes (his distribution is still worful) and Robinson.

With regard to Robinson, he seemed to suffer the same fate as pope does in that for whatever reason our back line seems to take the easy option of just lumping it up to the big no 9. Do wish they'd stop that and have a bit more confidence.

Manny must start for me on Saturday.

Expected that , not bad considering we put out a weaker side. Definitely gave them a game

Manny and Monty played well. Mckirdy put a cracking cross in for the goal and hopefully he will do it on a regular basis once fit.

Set pieces are a worry , need to be doing better.

Also think Burgess has looked poor so far,  hopefully just a bad patch.

God awful ref as well.

All the about the league this season.  Bring on Exeter 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TylerB said:

Bit OTT with Robinson. He missed a very good chance and had a quiet game where we were on the backfoot for a lot of it. Did you see Kai Havert's debut performance for Chelsea last night?! Cullen has the shirt right now but I don't think Robinson will be slipping down the order based on one game.

From what I’ve seen of everyone this season so far I’d have it as Cullen Rodney pope Robinson- doesn’t seem like he offers a lot just an opinion 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Bit OTT with Robinson. He missed a very good chance and had a quiet game where we were on the backfoot for a lot of it.

I agree. He's a player that wants to play on the shoulder and run in behind but the game wasn't there for him to do that. In general a lot of the balls where just played footing in the air with his back to goal which is defo not his game. He missed a sitter yes but more importantly he was there to get on the end of a chance. If he wasn't getting in there for the chance then I would be worried.

He will be better for having the 90 mins.

• Like 2

Disappointing - we could have won that if we'd made our pressure pay at the start of the second half - and encouraging at the same time with a fine display by our second string against a L1 playoff side. We paid the price though for switching off in the last twenty minutes and then playing the long ball as if we'd had Tom Pope up top instead of Theo. We also wasted three set pieces at the end with poor deliveries.

But on the whole an engaging game with some noticeable performances by Hurst, Monty and Manny who was MOM for me. It's probably too soon for him against Exeter but when he's back he's going to make a big difference for us with his quality and physical presence in midfield. Thought McKirdy looked good in flashes but he has a long way to go in terms of fitness.

Next up, Exeter who will now know - if they didn't know before - that they are in for a hard game.

UTV!

PS A shocking display of incompetence and bias from the ref.

Edited by CambridgeDon

8 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Thought he was very poor. You can’t be missing chances like that. In comparison to Cullen I’d have Cullen far ahead of him. 

Mckirdy looks like he will be an asset in league 2. Liked the look of hurst. Very raw but something there. Manny for me is comfortably our best Cm and looked very good tonight. 

Not too fussed by the score line. As you say basically a reserve side away from home against a strong league 1 side. Just a shame that we’ve missed a sitter and given away two awful goals. 

And it was the League cup - a competition where our reputation precedes us ...........Its crap - but our overall performance tonight was very good. Crooks, Hurst,  Manny all very good and as others have said the only down side being Theo. In my opinion he's not a lone striker like Tom is. Tom can keep defenders busy but Theo doesn't seem to be able to. He doesn't look likely to score up top on his own .  I'm sure Cullen would have taken the one chance Theo had. Theo may benefit from being brought on later in the game than starting.   Also I wonder if Theo's nose has been put out by the signing of Mckirdy ?  Shame he didnt take the opportunity tonight to give Askey something to Think about ...... Cullen at Exeter without a doubt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, valeparklife said:

So is Robinson the scapegoat today with Fitzpatrick not playing?

This forum is full of people who see there arse the second you say anything negative about a player, it’s a discussion on the game Robinson had 0 contribution for 90 minutes literally did nothing people are allowed to critise a performance- I hope that he comes good for us and proves us wrong but to me personally he looks no different to the first time we had him 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

So is Robinson the scapegoat today with Fitzpatrick not playing?

I dont see him as a scapegoat - No one is saying we lost because of him . Its just general observation by many vale fans that on the whole against a very strong team from a division above Theo did not shine as much as the usual players who get knocked. I thought Crooks had a very good game, compared to some he had at left back. He raised his game.  If you fail to see that Theo didn't rise to the occasion like many other reserve players did then that is your view. I cant remember him worrying the defence throughout the game  which, given he was playing as a lone striker, was his main task.  If he wants to be considered a first choice forward then those types of displays will not have the correct effect on Askey  

• Like 1

Why can't people just accept that some of us are capable of criticising a player's performance as opposed to criticising the individual? It's a bit strange how defensive some get over it. Nobody is making anybody a scapegoat. They're simply observing what a lot of us saw tonight - a poor Theo Robinson performance. Doesn't mean we're saying he's a poor footballer and should be hung out to dry, does it?

• Like 4