onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FLC R2 Fleetwood Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

Because the one that’s being singled out missed basically an open goal. What do you expect? Dosent matter about fitness or opposition. Any striker should score that. 
He's a 4th division striker.

International Premier League strikers miss chances too.

The expectation levels of some fans are unreal. No wonder they're never happy!

9 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Because the one that’s being singled out missed basically an open goal. What do you expect? Dosent matter about fitness or opposition. Any striker should score that. 

I think that's a bit unfair. EVERY striker misses chances. My huge hero Andy Jones missed chances. Messi misses chances. Pope, Cullen and Rodney miss chances.

He's got a decent record so clearly he doesn't always miss chances. 

Strikers also need sharpness and he's still settling in. He probably needs a break - both on the pitch and on this thread.

Frustrated to lose, we were ok second half and their goal was horrific to concede from our own throw in! Very poor that.

Ten changes against a side at full strength that made the play offs a league above away from home and we gave them a good test so I can’t be too downbeat... our first XI would possibly of won that.

Bodes well for the season that we were competitive against a L1 side with ten changes and still Pope, Amoo and Gibbons to return to the squad so plenty of positives.

Losing the Everton tie potentially isn’t the be all with no fans in attendance, the Exeter game then a week off to prep for Harrogate will stand us in good stead for the more important goal this season.

Can’t be many teams at our level if any that have the depth we do in our squad so one plus in a condensed season that may be worth extra points over our rivals.

McKirdy was busy but not fit, Manny looking good, Hurst has something about him. Crookes was decent too.

Mills seems hit and miss at times but possibly the lack of support in front doesn’t help.

Overall a decent work out and crucial minutes for players like Monty, McKirdy, Manny et al coming into the squad.

Final note... Visser looks a quality keeper! For a number 2 I’d now have no worries if Brown got injured or suspended that we’d be ok.

23 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

Why can't people just accept that some of us are capable of criticising a player's performance as opposed to criticising the individual? It's a bit strange how defensive some get over it. Nobody is making anybody a scapegoat. They're simply observing what a lot of us saw tonight - a poor Theo Robinson performance. Doesn't mean we're saying he's a poor footballer and should be hung out to dry, does it?

I agree its very strange but its the 'OVF way', or rather it certainly is with some posters.

If you post anything other than fulsome praise or are constantly talking up all players then you are a 'boo boy' or one of the 'usual suspects' (which is all the more strange when I've never really heard targeted or concerted 'booing' of any Vale player at matches).

It would be sort of understandable if you were defending your club & players against other fans (such as Stoke), but to refuse and shout down any sort of criticism and opinions from fellow Vale fans is just bizarre.

Makes me laugh when some of those players that are defended to the hilt by these posters, then leave Vale and end up at National League North or lower levels.

[.....none of that is aimed at or linked to Theo Robinson at all - but more a generalisation of the ridiculous 'Thou must not criticise' mantra that some posters on here adopt]

22 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

This forum is also full of people that see THEIR arse if we have a striker that doesn't score a hat trick every game.

We lost to a scrappy couple of goals with our reserve team against a 1st team in a league higher than us. Why single out anyone?

Why ?  Because he was the weakest link !  Do you think he put in a shift like the rest did ?  Do you think that after the match Askey didnt look him in the eye and tell him, constructively, that his performance was not as high as he would have hoped . I'm sure he may have used words like - "Theo after you watch that Video of the game  I'm sure you will understand why we will be going with Cullen at Exeter on Saturday" .   We as customers should provide feedback, not the vitriolic sort, but constructive and saying Theo was not at the races and looked out of place gives valid opinions to Askey. No one has said Theo Should never put on a Vale shirt again or I'm not going Vale again until he's gone. He had a poor game that was seen by many. You don't seem to understand the difference between valid opinions and scapegoating.  No one is making Theo the scapegoat - People are just reminding him, if he reads this forum, that customers have opinions and sometimes a player needs to take those views on board and try and improve. Nothing more.  Askey has set the bar high and its up to the players to keep their efforts up to that level.

10 changes for Vale, none from Fleetwood.

I’ve not seen the game so cannot comment on the performance, but on the face of it it seems a decent performance. 

But what have we learnt from so many changes ? Oyeleke can play ? We know that. Montano can play ? We know that. 
Has anyone played their way into Saturday’s starting XI ? Following last weekend’s opening day win, unlikely.

So all we’ve actually done is deny ourselves a better opportunity of progressing in this competition. Players have had a game who normally wouldn’t, but that seems to be the only reason for the wholesale changes.

Barton made no changes and won the game. In my view, it’s just a lost opportunity to progress in one of only four competitions available to us.

Has the greater good been achieved by Askey’s selection ? In my eyes , no. If we, as a club and support cannot be arsed with the competition, so be it. 

But if that is the case, what’s the point of entering in the first place ?

22 minutes ago, valeparklife said:
32 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:
Nobody has written him off I said in a previous comment I hope he proves me wrong.im just going off what I’ve seen he would need to majorly improve to have any chance of breaking into the starting line up for a league game

Is 17 minutes vs Scunthorpe and 90 minutes against L1 Fleetwood enough time to judge a player compared to his goal record over the last 2 seasons?

People judge the players who do well in this timeframe i.e we’ve only seen a couple of games of Rodney and you can tell he’s got something to offer visser people singing his praise why can’t it work the other way, I for one would love Robinson to be a success for us it would be weird if I didn’t but from what I’ve seen he isn’t up to scratch for whatever reason that is, and it would take a big step up in performance for him to be considered in our strongest eleven. It’s got nothing to do with his missed chance either he offered nothing all game and people will say we didn’t play to his style of play- that’s when you find out how good a player is, when someone’s not involved in games they adapt they go looking for the ball they try to make things happen Robinson spent the whole game as a bystander and let the full 90 minutes pass him by without doing anything that’s the worrying part. Yes he doesn’t like the ball hoofed up then maybe start sniffing out the second ball make yourself a pest read where the next ball is going to drop, demand the ball to feet. He offered next to nothing and there cbs won’t have a easier game all season 

13 minutes ago, robf said:

I think that's a bit unfair. EVERY striker misses chances. My huge hero Andy Jones missed chances. Messi misses chances. Pope, Cullen and Rodney miss chances.

He's got a decent record so clearly he doesn't always miss chances. 

Strikers also need sharpness and he's still settling in. He probably needs a break - both on the pitch and on this thread.

Robf - in my opinion it was a shame he missed that chance - but that is not why I say he had a bad game. it was his overall performance over the 95 minutes. He seemed lost up front on his own and never caused the defence problems. Some say the service to him was not good but whilst that may be partially true his runs and calls for the ball were not there to be seen or heard. You say he needs sharpness and he's still settling in - I fully agree, but would draw your attention to another chap who that could be said about  - Rodders is not sharp yet, and he is new and settling in but by God he made us supporters sit up and watch him while he was on the pitch last match. If Theo had sweated one third as much people would not be saying he had a poor game. Sometimes its all about effort and being noticed that you are busting a gut for the Vale - He didn't bust anything tonight and just needs reminding that Vale fans are not slow at spotting when someone isn't going the extra mile for the cause. 

2 minutes ago, pensioner said:

Robf - in my opinion it was a shame he missed that chance - but that is not why I say he had a bad game. it was his overall performance over the 95 minutes. He seemed lost up front on his own and never caused the defence problems. Some say the service to him was not good but whilst that may be partially true his runs and calls for the ball were not there to be seen or heard. You say he needs sharpness and he's still settling in - I fully agree, but would draw your attention to another chap who that could be said about  - Rodders is not sharp yet, and he is new and settling in but by God he made us supporters sit up and watch him while he was on the pitch last match. If Theo had sweated one third as much people would not be saying he had a poor game. Sometimes its all about effort and being noticed that you are busting a gut for the Vale - He didn't bust anything tonight and just needs reminding that Vale fans are not slow at spotting when someone isn't going the extra mile for the cause. 

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

10 changes for Vale, none from Fleetwood.
I’ve not seen the game so cannot comment on the performance, but on the face of it it seems a decent performance. 
But what have we learnt from so many changes ? Oyeleke can play ? We know that. Montano can play ? We know that. 
Has anyone played their way into Saturday’s starting XI ? Following last weekend’s opening day win, unlikely.
So all we’ve actually done is deny ourselves a better opportunity of progressing in this competition. Players have had a game who normally wouldn’t, but that seems to be the only reason for the wholesale changes.
Barton made no changes and won the game. In my view, it’s just a lost opportunity to progress in one of only four competitions available to us.
Has the greater good been achieved by Askey’s selection ? In my eyes , no. If we, as a club and support cannot be arsed with the competition, so be it. 
But if that is the case, what’s the point of entering in the first place ?

I think it’s totally different this season , so many games to contend with in a short space of time

The priority is the league , Askey just said in his post match interview that he didn’t want players falling behind with there fitness

Monty and oyeleke needed game time they got it so did mckirdy and Robinson

If we do well in the league will anyone give a toss about the league cup

Archived