onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FLC R2 Fleetwood Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

I realise that I may be “old school”, but how can a one off tie be less important than only the 2nd game of a 46 match campaign ?

Lose the cup match and you’re  out of the competition. Lose at Exeter and there’s still 132 points to play for and the most we could possibly be behind top place would only be 3 points ! 

At this extremely early stage of the season, how can the league be more important ?

I just don’t get that mentality.

I realise that I may be “old school”, but how can a one off tie be less important than only the 2nd game of a 46 match campaign ?
Lose the cup match and you’re  out of the competition. Lose at Exeter and there’s still 132 points to play for and the most we could possibly be behind top place would only be 3 points ! 
At this extremely early stage of the season, how can the league be more important ?

The aim should be to get as far as possible in all competitions

2 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

I agree! We've seen, over the last few years, how certain lower League teams have soaked up small fortunes through progressing in Cup competitions. The very nature of these games - lose and you're out - ought to be more of a test of performance under pressure than a mid-season game against a side struggling for form? With the strength of squad we have now...and with players all wanting to play / get fit / get match-fit we should be able to absorb a couple of like-for-like changes to aid that? By all means, pick the fittest players - but, let's not dismiss the importance of Cup progression and putting some cash back into the Shanahan's pockets, by putting out a strong team? And, let's not forget - Cup runs by lower League clubs raise their profile - which might be useful when fans are allowed back? 

129 points, instead of 132 wouldn't be too bad?

That 3 points come the end of the season could be the difference between promotion and play offs. Or play offs and nothing as it was last season. 

League everyday for me, however given there is a good tie after tonight I do think we should be going there to win and playing a very strong 11. Shouldn’t be needing to rest players so early in the season if anything it will help fitness. 

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

That 3 points come the end of the season could be the difference between promotion and play offs. Or play offs and nothing as it was last season. 

League everyday for me, however given there is a good tie after tonight I do think we should be going there to win and playing a very strong 11. Shouldn’t be needing to rest players so early in the season if anything it will help fitness. 

Exeter do not have a mid-week game, so do not have the chance to improve their match fitness.

Askey is probably in the enviable position most managers would like to be in. He has a strong enough squad to name two good sides. So he can judge each match on its merits, on the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition.

So, he may think away from home he needs a more powerful athletic striker on to pressurise the home defence; he may have spotted a weakness at full back and know which of our wide men is best to exploit that weakness; equally, their main threat may be a winger, so Askey can play the best Vale wide man in terms of tracking back; etc, etc.

I suspect you might see two or three changes tonight, that's all. Let's hope we continue the run and make Joey Barton suffer!

We should be aiming to win this. If the Everton game is on sky, that's a lot of revenue. If it isn't, we will still get as much or maybe even more revenue from Vale and Everton fans buying it through Vale's iFollow portal, because Everton don't have one. 

25,000 viewers would be £200,000. 

The Shanahans deserve that money. 

1 hour ago, Doha said:

We should be aiming to win this. If the Everton game is on sky, that's a lot of revenue. If it isn't, we will still get as much or maybe even more revenue from Vale and Everton fans buying it through Vale's iFollow portal, because Everton don't have one. 

Taken from BBC - 

All non-televised Carabao Cup matches until the end of the fourth round will be made available for supporters via an online streaming service.

UK-based supporters of Premier League clubs will be able to buy £10 match passes on the competition's website for ties not broadcast on Sky Sports.

Fans of English Football League sides can watch via iFollow, or an equivalent service, as for the first round.

3 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Taken from BBC - 

All non-televised Carabao Cup matches until the end of the fourth round will be made available for supporters via an online streaming service.

UK-based supporters of Premier League clubs will be able to buy £10 match passes on the competition's website for ties not broadcast on Sky Sports.

Fans of English Football League sides can watch via iFollow, or an equivalent service, as for the first round.

That's disappointing. You would expect in that case that they'd divide the revenue between the two clubs like what would happen with gate receipts, and you'd hope Everton would waive their slice.

2 minutes ago, Santa said:

Why are normal league games £8 but League Cup games are £10?

Normal games are a tenner. But Vale get £8 of that money. 

1 hour ago, Doha said:

The club deserves that money. 

Archived