Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FLC R2 Fleetwood Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

1 hour ago, Diego Maradona said:

For me, League is the priority.

Rotate the squad as above or similar. 

Those players need to get match fit and start to get match sharp. That will also help with competition in the squad.

Know doubt as well that there will be substitutes brought on as well.

And finally, let’s face it, that team I stated above is pretty strong. They may not be match fit (hence why they should start this game) but it’s pretty good.

The League is the priority for the fans - but, with no money coming through the turnstiles, maybe our owners would like as much prize money as we can get?

12 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

So, when are we getting the players match fit/match sharp?

Still a strong team!

Having  a larger squad of  competent players means it will take longer,  but with having a strong bench means they  will not  need  to conserve their energy, especially the high energy positions.

I’m not entirely clear about your point.

However, if we want ‘the bench’ ‘the reserves’ ‘the squad’ to have an impact, for the squad to flourish through competition amongst the players we have to give all players some game time now.

We also want to keep these players ‘happy’ with the amount of game time they would expect.

In the grand scheme of things, it probably doesn’t make a massive difference to the season overall. My opinion is that we should get as much of the squad as match sharp as possible.

Even playing the first XI (whatever that might be) doesn’t guarantee a place into round 3.

If we play ‘our strongest team’ and lose, we are in a worse position ‘for the squad’ than if we rotate. If we play ‘our strongest team’ and win - great - into round 3, cash in the bank, nice tie with Everton, potentially.

However, those ‘squad players’ are not getting fit/sharp. 

So, .... when do we play them? When someone gets injured? Or, give them 20 minutes here and there? 

Get the squad match fit/match sharp ASAP.

The more players you want to get match fit the longer it takes, the cup games give us chance to switch players around. Certain key players  will be given more game time to achieve match fitness quicker,  other higher energy positions will share the load. Late October  should see a more settled team.   Crawley have a far larger squad, but how many are capable  of L2 football I do not know, they may have far less than us.  Askey has his finger on it, relax.

The squad we have now is very strong and some of the players would be thinking what do I have to do to get in the first team.  Nice problem for the manager to have to choose players for the match squad.

Winnable game with a chance to play a premier team or even get through to the next round by beating Salford.

Would be nice to win but Exeter is more important by far, a win there would really make a statement and the belief that we can do something this year.

We have a large enough squad to make changes without detrimenting the team too much so would be trying to rotate and keep players fresh where possible.

Would like to see McKirdy, Monty, Theo and Brisley get a game.

1 hour ago, PVFC764 said:

The squad we have now is very strong and some of the players would be thinking what do I have to do to get in the first team.  Nice problem for the manager to have to choose players for the match squad.

Winnable game with a chance to play a premier team or even get through to the next round by beating Salford.

As I've said before, we will need all the squad this year.

So many games coming up.

Squad rotation will be a significant feature of the coming months.

It's so pleasing to have more than one player for every position, and all able to do a job.

An endorsement of the recruitment, stability and attraction of the club.

17 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

We should, and almost certainly will, mix it up a bit.  You'd have to think Manny, Theo, Monty, Brizzle, Visser, Whitehead, Crookes will be among the starters and possibly Hurst and DTS.

I think the latter 3 have more chance of starting in the EFL Trophy than in the league cup tbh

I would much rather see us use a gradual rotation system than make mass changes for cup games. Swap a player every so often ensuring that every player has a break every so often to regain their fitness. This will be especially important with the fixtures this year.

I think making wholesale changes does no one any favours as its difficult to judge the performances of the players. One change in a settled team gives them a fairer chance to stake a claim to keep their position.

It will be interesting to see the effect on the top teams over the next few years as they have hardly had a break before this season, have a hectic schedule this season, straight into the euros followed by another season then a world cup. The domestic cups are going to have even less importance to teams in europe.

20 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

I would much rather see us use a gradual rotation system than make mass changes for cup games. Swap a player every so often ensuring that every player has a break every so often to regain their fitness. This will be especially important with the fixtures this year.

I think making wholesale changes does no one any favours as its difficult to judge the performances of the players. One change in a settled team gives them a fairer chance to stake a claim to keep their position.

It will be interesting to see the effect on the top teams over the next few years as they have hardly had a break before this season, have a hectic schedule this season, straight into the euros followed by another season then a world cup. The domestic cups are going to have even less importance to teams in europe.

But domestic cups will still be won by the few  as they have more top notch players.

Archived