Match Thread: Port Vale v Crawley Town

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Embarrassing that was. I don’t like that aspect of Sprosons commentary. I know that these ex players provide a nice foil to  the Blakemans and @Phil Bof this world, but to me radio stoke shouldnt be having someone on there whos agenda is to promote his own players at the detriment of those on the pitch. It was very noticeable what he was doing to Gibbo last season especially. I actually had it on very good authority that Sproson wanted to represent Gibbo after he first broke into the side, so to me that says everything about the agenda he has. Our full backs weren’t brilliant yesterday, but no one in the side was anywhere near bad enough to be slaughtered by him as he did. 

This.....it was obvious and embarrassing during commentary.....both FB's had their ropey moments but I've liked what I've seen so far especially as regards building a promotion winning squad, which is what JS is doing.

• Like 1

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dicko was terrible. I have no clue why everyone bangs on about this guy. 

Why does Fitzpatrick get stick so much? Is it because CJ Hamilton ran past him a couple of times in a friendly when he had no fitness? He's a solid L2 LB and had another dependable game again, cleari

Sproson didn't miss an opportunity to have a crack at both full backs guess he must have a few on his books he needs to move on.

Posted Images

I found watching the match and listening to the commentary very revealing. It revealed just how little of the action is actually commented on. Both Phils seemed quite happy to chat amongst themselves ignoring the listeners desire to know exactly what was happening on the pitch. Just my opinion, of course.

I found watching the match and listening to the commentary very revealing. It revealed just how little of the action is actually commented on. Both Phils seemed quite happy to chat amongst themselves ignoring the listeners desire to know exactly what was happening on the pitch. Just my opinion, of course.
I'd agree. Considering they commentate for the radio, where their audience (predominately) cant actually see the action, they do seem to miss bits or explain it completely differently to how I see it.

Harsh to compare maybe, but the difference in how cricket commentators paint a picture compared to football is dramatic.

I find the commentators at local radio level tend to be better at describing the action than at national level.

They waffle on a bit on radio stoke but when you listen to a match on 5 live or talksport you can often go 5 minutes without hearing anything of the game. You will hear about transfer rumours, upcoming fixtures, odds, everything other than what is happening. They will then say things along the lines of "as you can tell x are all over y here today" when you don't have a clue what has been happening.

They don't seem to understand that you aren't watching the game.

On radio stoke they often get players names wrong or see something different but then we all do that from time to time when we are in the crowd. They are often also a bit negative but again its similar in the crowd and at all levels pundits and commentators tend to offer more negative criticism than positive.

With regards to Montano coming back in at full back. If both him and Rodney are on song it is going to be a nightmare for opposition defences trying to defend against our left flank. They will have to commit at least three to defend against them. It could make for a very entertaining season.