onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Crawley Town

Fosse69

48 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Why does Fitzpatrick get stick so much? Is it because CJ Hamilton ran past him a couple of times in a friendly when he had no fitness?

He's a solid L2 LB and had another dependable game again, clearing one off the line at 1-0.

Vale fans always need a scapegoat don't they?

No player was anything less than a 7/10 today. Very decent professional performance with a lot of positives.

The issue today was the player he was marking regularly got inside him. That's actually worse than a player going around the outside as it's leaving the player free on goal. I thought he looked solid in the last 2 games but teams will study today and try the same thing. I don't know if its adjusting to being in a back 4; as Macclesfield player with 3 at the back a lot over the last two years. Allowing a player inside is covered by the left centrehalf more with a back 3, so less of a problem. It may just be getting used to playing with Smith, although Smith being right footed is going to struggle if wide players are getting into the channel between him and Fitzpatrick. 

The header off the line was pretty regulation. It wasn't difficult to clear. Nice height and not particularly fast.

His general play was neat and tidy. It may just have been one of those things, all fullbacks will get done a couple of times in a game. It will be interesting to see if it happens in future games.

Advert

2 hours ago, TylerB said:

Crawley are a horrible team. They play exactly how their manager looks. Mid-table at best for them this season I think.

It is league 2.... realistically Crawley punching above their weight, once it’s clear they are second best skill wise, they try to make it physical... easy to criticise however when jobs / mortgage payments / professional pride are on the line professionals will try anything to get a result. Vale will have to overcome all kinds of opposition if they are to do well this year but none of them will make it easy.
i think we look ok but maybe a little lightweight 

2 minutes ago, Bob Newtonian said:

It is league 2.... realistically Crawley punching above their weight, once it’s clear they are second best skill wise, they try to make it physical... easy to criticise however when jobs / mortgage payments / professional pride are on the line professionals will try anything to get a result. Vale will have to overcome all kinds of opposition if they are to do well this year but none of them will make it easy.
i think we look ok but maybe a little lightweight 

Lightweight? You're having a laugh aren't you. Smith and Legge won almost everything, and Rodney bullied them until he ran of out steam. The only position we might lack real physical presence at times is the middle of the park. But we have Oyeleke to come back into the side for that.

1 hour ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

For those who had trouble with I follow codes not working, I put my code in on Thursday to activate the match. For the next match it may be worth entering your code as soon as you get it so if there are  problems you have time to get a new code from the ticket office.

I put mine in as soon as I got it aswell and it was perfect for me. Also I logged in 1 hr before the match to make sure it was all working, and if it wasnt would have given me time to phone someone to fix it.

23 minutes ago, JRC said:

The issue today was the player he was marking regularly got inside him. That's actually worse than a player going around the outside as it's leaving the player free on goal. I thought he looked solid in the last 2 games but teams will study today and try the same thing. I don't know if its adjusting to being in a back 4; as Macclesfield player with 3 at the back a lot over the last two years. Allowing a player inside is covered by the left centrehalf more with a back 3, so less of a problem. It may just be getting used to playing with Smith, although Smith being right footed is going to struggle if wide players are getting into the channel between him and Fitzpatrick. 

The header off the line was pretty regulation. It wasn't difficult to clear. Nice height and not particularly fast.

His general play was neat and tidy. It may just have been one of those things, all fullbacks will get done a couple of times in a game. It will be interesting to see if it happens in future games.

Agree with that, the isuue may be for some, that Phil Sproey who has a few full backs he needs to shift out, has always ripped into ours in commentary. I do agree Fitz and Mills got turned a bit, but is that not what the attacker is supposed to do? Good win and a clean sheet so the defence is not an issue,  too soon to berate any player.

1 hour ago, valeparklife said:

Why does Fitzpatrick get stick so much? Is it because CJ Hamilton ran past him a couple of times in a friendly when he had no fitness?

He's a solid L2 LB and had another dependable game again, clearing one off the line at 1-0.

No player was anything less than a 7/10 today. Very decent professional performance with a lot of positives.

I don't see why critical assessment of any player's performance should be considered to be a personal attack. We played well today but had plenty of deficiencies that we will need to put right if we're to get promoted. Both commentators at the game commented on how vulnerable we looked on the flanks and a better team (like Exeter for example) will be looking at our weaknesses and planning how to exploit them. It's not just the full backs but the midfield too where we lack the physicality to control the game. I'm comforted by the fact that Askey will be scrutinising our performance in some detail and also by the fact that we've got Gibbo to come back, Montano to play at full back and Manny in midfield. And one or two others as well.

This is NOT an attack on any individual player, all of whom today gave it 100%, but success in sport is all about the critical margins, mostly as little as 1%. 

I'm sure we have a good chance of finishing in the top seven, if not automatic promotion, but what it will mean is continuing the detailed rigorous scrutiny that has brought us this far.

UTV.

1 hour ago, valeparklife said:

Sproson didn't miss an opportunity to have a crack at both full backs guess he must have a few on his books he needs to move on.

27 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Lightweight? You're having a laugh aren't you. Smith and Legge won almost everything, and Rodney bullied them until he ran of out steam. The only position we might lack real physical presence at times is the middle of the park. But we have Oyeleke to come back into the side for that.

We ll see: Conlon Joyce and burgess along with today’s full backs with Cullen up front by league 2 standards are a little lightweight... not a criticism just an observation rightly or wrongly. Think Manny s appearances will be few and far between unfortunately 

cracking win hopefully we ll be up there come the end of the season whenever that may be !’

Think people get influenced by Sproston droning on about Fitzpatrick throughout the commentary.
Funnily enough, I can never remember Sproston saying anything negative about Crooks when played leftback

Both full backs were a bit iffy today. Not bad, but iffy. Burgess was in and out. I rarely agree with Sproson but today I think he called it right.

The tried and trusted were really good today. Brown, Legge, Smith, Joyce, Wozza, Conlon.

Cullen is a sniffer. Rodders has cult hero written all over him.

Think people get influenced by Sproston droning on about Fitzpatrick throughout the commentary.
Funnily enough, I can never remember Sproston saying anything negative about Crooks when played leftback
Exactly this, his bias can sometimes be so obvious. He was constantly sticking it to Mills and Fitzpatrick who I thought had steady enough games.

Great start to what is going to be a fantastic season, UTV!

Archived