onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Crawley Town

Fosse69

Some previous comments. Nothing's changed!

On 01/03/2020 at 11:30, Doha said:

I agree, cba with him. For a bloke who has a statue sharing his name outside the ground he seems a lot more bothered about his pocket than Vale when he's discussing the playing squad.

Bring back Cullerton.

On 28/01/2020 at 20:34, Doha said:

Why is Sproson still incapable of pronouncing Tom Conlons name incorrectly? Heard both Con-lon and Con-lan already.

CONLUN
CONLUN
CONLUN

ITS NOT THAT HARD  

Time and time again he has consistently shown his intention not to use the commentary platform as just that, but rather as an advertising platform.

I've long thought he's a bit of a bell tbh.

As for Cullerton who was excellent, I have the commentary from a few games from the promotion season archived. I'll stick them on here if anyone wants them. Winning by several goals a game every game is nice to listen to. 

Advert

I think this thread shows how we all have our individual likes and dislikes, even commentators, yet alone players. It goes with the territory. It bothers me very little, although I prefer some to others. At the end of the day, the likes of Bowers and Sproson are Vale fans and want the Club to do well. Williams coped flak on here and now it's Sproson. They were two of my favourite players but that's fans for you. We're all self opinionated and want to offer our "expert" views. And, in any case, a lot of what is said goes above my head as I'm more interested in watching the football than dissecting every syllable.

I tend to agree with the above. I thought we looked a bit open at full back and you can only say what you think you see. 

But to get off to a winning start was a fantastic way to begin the new season and Rodney could be shaping up as a real terrace hero. 

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Embarrassing that was. I don’t like that aspect of Sprosons commentary. I know that these ex players provide a nice foil to  the Blakemans and @Phil Bof this world, but to me radio stoke shouldnt be having someone on there whos agenda is to promote his own players at the detriment of those on the pitch. It was very noticeable what he was doing to Gibbo last season especially. I actually had it on very good authority that Sproson wanted to represent Gibbo after he first broke into the side, so to me that says everything about the agenda he has. Our full backs weren’t brilliant yesterday, but no one in the side was anywhere near bad enough to be slaughtered by him as he did. 

This.....it was obvious and embarrassing during commentary.....both FB's had their ropey moments but I've liked what I've seen so far especially as regards building a promotion winning squad, which is what JS is doing.

I found watching the match and listening to the commentary very revealing. It revealed just how little of the action is actually commented on. Both Phils seemed quite happy to chat amongst themselves ignoring the listeners desire to know exactly what was happening on the pitch. Just my opinion, of course.

I found watching the match and listening to the commentary very revealing. It revealed just how little of the action is actually commented on. Both Phils seemed quite happy to chat amongst themselves ignoring the listeners desire to know exactly what was happening on the pitch. Just my opinion, of course.
I'd agree. Considering they commentate for the radio, where their audience (predominately) cant actually see the action, they do seem to miss bits or explain it completely differently to how I see it.

Harsh to compare maybe, but the difference in how cricket commentators paint a picture compared to football is dramatic.

I find the commentators at local radio level tend to be better at describing the action than at national level.

They waffle on a bit on radio stoke but when you listen to a match on 5 live or talksport you can often go 5 minutes without hearing anything of the game. You will hear about transfer rumours, upcoming fixtures, odds, everything other than what is happening. They will then say things along the lines of "as you can tell x are all over y here today" when you don't have a clue what has been happening.

They don't seem to understand that you aren't watching the game.

On radio stoke they often get players names wrong or see something different but then we all do that from time to time when we are in the crowd. They are often also a bit negative but again its similar in the crowd and at all levels pundits and commentators tend to offer more negative criticism than positive.

Archived