onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Crawley Town

Fosse69

Advert

2 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Is that for sure? We've missed his spark, but he looked a bit laboured in pre-season. With Browne gone, we are a bit lacking now out wide up front. Rodders did well last night, but you feel his ideal position is more central.

I prefer Monty at LB myself. He needs to get a head of steam up when he gets surging. But he was good for the 45 last night. 

The media have just reported he has a strain. "For a while" was mentioned on here last night. 

Rodney has looked better as pre-season has gone on. Out on the left against Scunthorpe was I think stifling him from the get go. Needs to be central. If Askey is going to insist on 1 up front with the two wingers roving up and down then we need a Taylor style false 10 floating about high up the pitch to support the central forward and to take pot shots as otherwise I fear we will struggle to make things stick unless it's Pope with his strength. Someone high enough to play the one two or be an outlet for the pass because so far through the middle we have appeared a bit sparse ideas wise once the ball is hoofed up there. 

We are fortunate that both Amoo and Worrall can switch sides. I'm hoping we get the new wide player in before Saturday to shore up that right hand side. 

Fancy us to win this. Always good first game of the season and I think we’re a better side than these. 

Brown 

mills. Legge. Smith. Montano. 

Joyce. Burgess. 

Worrall. Conlon. Rodney. 

Robinson

in an ideal world manny would be starting but only if 100% fit. If we had another winger I would have Rodney starting up front due to the lack of fitness to Robinson and Cullen. Montano at left back at home has to be the right option. I’d say Fitzpatrick so far has looked our weakest link. 

Brown

Mills/Legge/Smith/Fitzpatrick

Burgess/Joyce/Conlon

Worrall/Conlon/Rodney

Visser/Brisley/Crooke/Whitehead/Oyeleke/Robinson/Montano

So disregarding the nine changes last game the same team as the season opener only with Manny and Monty on the bench in place of Tricky-Smith and Hurst......basically rotate Cullen and Robinson with say Cullen starting at home change on the hour and Robinson starting away maybe and we'll see Pope in October.....to think that matchday squad has Gibbons/Amoo/Pope and maybe Thomas to add in and there are going to be some basically first teamers that some weeks will not make the matchday squad.

13 minutes ago, maccapvfc said:

On the Scunthorpe game, I thought that Worral had a much better game when he moved over to the left hand side. Given his athletic ability, he also gets up and down supporting his LB - so I would continue to utilise him where he thrived last year. 

I reckon Worrall only played on the left last season to help out Monty at left back, when everyones fully fit that Worrall / Gibbo combo on the right is one of the best things about the team.

Thinking about the Askey 4/3/3 then while the Brown...Smith/Legge....Joyce....is the foundation and Cullen and Robinson will rotate as striker with Pope now a bit part player the key feature is the left and right triangles.....last season Monty/Conlon/Worrall on the left and Gibbons/Burgess/Amoo on the right.....now we have Mills and Fitzpatrick as full back options and in midfield Oyeleke and Whitehead with say new signing probably Thomas and Rodney who will become a fans favourite and can move central permanent next season when Pope has retired.....it looks such a strong and well balanced squad.

Just to think that solid back five of Brown/Gibbons/Legge/Smith/Montano and to also have a quality spare back five of Visser/Mills/Brisley/Crooke/Fitzpatrick.....then last seasons midfield three of Burgess/Joyce/Conlon and have Oyeleke and Whitehead but mostly if Askey goes with Worrall/Cullen(Robinson)/Rodney again then over the season there is Amoo possibly Thomas and Pope.

Strange thought but just perhaps Askey will use caution and leave Manny and Monty out of the matchday squad inorder to give them another week or two training before even using them as a sub in a league game as neither is 100% fit just yet and Hurst and Tricky-Smith might be the unused subs...still got the likes of Brisley/Whitehead/Robinson to cover any injury in defence/midfield/upfront.

I think this will be tougher than we think. A few weeks ago, I had Crawley down as a possible relegation side and they have lost both their last two games (Millwall 1-3 at home and Gillingham 2-1 away). It's worth though reading the Gills report where after a poor first half they ended the better side with more shots and more on target. They have a good manager (the combative John Yems who got into an unpleasant exchange with Steve Evans - who else - with the ref having to intervene) and a decent mix of experienced and younger players. At Gillingham they apparently were excellent on the counter attack with real pace down the flanks.

Playing well and losing though is a bad sign and it looks as if they are going to miss Ollie Palmer's goals after his departure to AFC Wimbledon.  Up front they have Ricky German signed from non-league, Ashley Nadesan ex-Fleetwood who's only scored 18 goals in four seasons and Tom Nichols who managed over 34 in three seasons at Exeter early in his career but did next to nothing with Bristol Rovers.

Player for player we should beat them but they will surely attack down the flanks and we need to be ready. Personally, I'd prefer Monty at left back, for that reason alone, and I'd feel a whole lot more comfortable if Gibbo was playing. (Don't get me wrong, Mills has played well but at Scunny the goal came after he'd been skinned and he was close to giving away a peno in the second half on that same side.) This looks an easy fixture on paper but they will certainly give us a game.

I'd settle for a 1-0 win but who knows.    

I’d go for the below.

Brown

Mills  Legge  Smith  Monty

Burgess  Joyce  Conlon

Worrall  Cullen  Rodney

I thought Monty looked fully fit, so he comes back in. Would love to start Manny, but it would be too much of a risk. I’d like to see Rodney down the middle, but Cullen’s form at home last season was very good, so it would a bit harsh to disregard that. I reckon Robinson needs a little bit more match fitness to be considered. 

Think it will be a tight game, so an early goal would be lovely to settle the nerves. Really looking forward to it! UTV. 

Archived