Match Thread: FLT G1 Port Vale v Tranmere R

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lets get it right. Baring two players that was basically our reserve team. They had a much stronger side out than we did, and playing at home goes a little bit out the window to a degree without a cro

I thought DTS played very well, got stuck in and nailed Spearing early doors! Hurst did well but unsure if he’s ready yet. Did some good things but his final ball wasn’t there, potential is there cer

I don’t think that many would watch an EFL Trophy game on line at £10 a pop, which is why imo, all these games should have been played first with no fans( there were hardly any anyway)  leaving more t

Posted Images

I thought Hurst did a lot of cover runs down the right, worked hard to get up and down the pitch. By the end he looked cream crackered though and if we had any subs left I'm sure he would have come off.

Not a great game but decent enough performance given the changes in personel.

If Devante starts hitting the target he'll be a stone cold legend.

Visser has a bit of reputation for saving penalties from his spell at Exeter and has added further to this with a couple of great saves.

I’ve always been of the opinion that a quality back up ‘keeper is pretty much a waste of a wage, which could be put to better use elsewhere.

I don’t believe that a good reserve keeper makes the first choice incumbent play any better. Brown has had no competition for two seasons but has still performed magnificently. And if the first choice continues to perform, then the back up won’t play anyway. 

The danger of only having one decent ‘keeper is if he gets injured.  But Brown has been injured how many times ? 

Edited by RailwayRowdy

Main points I took from the game. 

A fit Manny and Monty start in our strongest team. Both showed high levels of skill and were dynamic. I’m keeping everything crossed for Manny, just love watching him play.

Rodney is getting better with each game. I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do in the middle.

Dino Visser, what a guy! A worldie of a save second half and then goes and makes 3 top notch penalty saves. Very strong competition for Brown this season.

Hurst did some good things, but can’t be considered as a back up winger. Really hoping we can get a deal over the line for a winger this week, as we look short there given Amoo’s injury.

Overall, keeps the positive mentality going, and I’m very much looking to Saturday. UTV. 

27 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

I’ve always been of the opinion that a quality back up ‘keeper is pretty much a waste of a wage, which could be put to better use elsewhere.

I don’t believe that a good reserve keeper makes the first choice incumbent play any better. Brown has had no competition for two seasons but has still performed magnificently. And if the first choice continues to perform, then the back up won’t play anyway. 

The danger of only having one decent ‘keeper is if he gets injured.  But Brown has been injured how many times ? 

Dino has the advantage of age,  maybe easing Browns body,  is there a problem with rotating keepers that England did with Shilton?

Lets get it right. Baring two players that was basically our reserve team. They had a much stronger side out than we did, and playing at home goes a little bit out the window to a degree without a crowd.

Worrall, Montano and Robinson up front on Saturday for me. Cullen and Rodney (so much potential!) very good options to have on the bench. This is our best squad in Donkeys years.

Edited by TylerB
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Dino’s 31 so not a young kid.

For a goalie, there's a few more years in him.  If we couldn't find a youngster then he will more than do based on what I have seen. 

Edited by toyahw

I thought DTS played very well, got stuck in and nailed Spearing early doors!

Hurst did well but unsure if he’s ready yet. Did some good things but his final ball wasn’t there, potential is there certainly but maybe needs loaning out again to a side a bit higher than Bradford PA such as a National League side.

Pretty happy, 9 changes and still performed well against a full Tranmere side apart from Vaughan.

Take into account still three big players to return in Pope, Amoo and Gibbons and hopefully a decent winger to sign shortly and we look to have ridiculous depth! A squad we could only have dreamt about having a few months ago.

Well done John Askey and the Shanahans for giving us something to be excited about in these dark times.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

I thought DTS played very well, got stuck in and nailed Spearing early doors!

I thought he did too, I was impressed. Better than Whitehead. It was a real shame no one put an arm around him when he missed his penno. At least he had the balls and stepped up. Griff mentioned this in commentary.  

Meanwhile a lot on here were still ranting about politics. Surely when Vale play we should be watching the game and talking football? 

Edited by toyahw
  • Like 1

As a statistical anomoly are Tranmere the first English professional team to lose 2 consecutive officially sanctioned games on penalties?

It's very rare to play consecutive cup games.