Jump to content

Albert Cheeseborough


rayzer

Recommended Posts

For our supporters who go back a long way there is sad news in that Albert Cheeseborough has passed away. He was our record signing when he was signed by Freddie Steele in 1963 and scored a hat trick on his home debut. I was there and remember it. R.I.P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


I remember that, didn't we sign Billy Bingham at the same time ? Also Ron Smith a full back from Crewe, it was around the time that Stoke were having success with Stan Matthews and they tried to replicate the formula of a big name coming in and kick starting a club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


8 hours ago, blackdog said:

There are two occasions watching the  Vale that have "Broken " my heart, Liverpool in '64 what a game, what an atmosphere, bloody Peter Thomson !!! and Brian Horton leaving, swore it would never get to me again........

I wasn`t around for the Liverpool game but with you on Horton and the other heartbreaking match for me was the play off final defeat to West Brom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, blackdog said:

I remember that, didn't we sign Billy Bingham at the same time ? Also Ron Smith a full back from Crewe, it was around the time that Stoke were having success with Stan Matthews and they tried to replicate the formula of a big name coming in and kick starting a club

The sad news of Albert Cheeseborough really brings back memories for me for watching him play the majority of his matches for the vale.I may be wrong but i thought Ron Smith played on the left wing for the vale with my favorite player of all time John Rowland on the right wing. the memories of the two cup ties come flooding back at anfield Sproey majestic the save that Lawrence made from the Mudie strike to Hancock getting a standing ovation from the kop to Nicholson sliding in and being a stud away from knocking liverpool out of the cup to the heart break of the replay when Thompson scored in the last seconds of extra time they will stay with me forever so R.I.P. Albert and thanks for the memories you gave me while supporting the Vale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hamilboy said:

The sad news of Albert Cheeseborough really brings back memories for me for watching him play the majority of his matches for the vale.I may be wrong but i thought Ron Smith played on the left wing for the vale with my favorite player of all time John Rowland on the right wing. the memories of the two cup ties come flooding back at anfield Sproey majestic the save that Lawrence made from the Mudie strike to Hancock getting a standing ovation from the kop to Nicholson sliding in and being a stud away from knocking liverpool out of the cup to the heart break of the replay when Thompson scored in the last seconds of extra time they will stay with me forever so R.I.P. Albert and thanks for the memories you gave me while supporting the Vale.

Yes,great memories from both games against Liverpool.I also remember Albert's hat-trick against Brentford the same season and his goal in the next home game in a 4-0 win against Crewe in front of a 17,000 crowd.

RIP Albert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


Albert was one of the first players I saw in a Vale shirt as a young lad and I remember his name fondly. Scored some good goals for us but if I recall correctly had a few injury problems as well.

Another sad loss.

My condolences to his family and close friends, and thanks for the memories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. I remember Albert and Billy Bingham coming to the club.I think Tom Talbot was chairman and the Vale were very ambitious at the time. Great games versus Liverpool.To be fair  spending spree didn't really work out for the club and following Talbot's death I think the club were left in debt.

RIP Albert. Thanks for the memories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, hamilboy said:

The sad news of Albert Cheeseborough really brings back memories for me for watching him play the majority of his matches for the vale.I may be wrong but i thought Ron Smith played on the left wing for the vale with my favorite player of all time John Rowland on the right wing. the memories of the two cup ties come flooding back at anfield Sproey majestic the save that Lawrence made from the Mudie strike to Hancock getting a standing ovation from the kop to Nicholson sliding in and being a stud away from knocking liverpool out of the cup to the heart break of the replay when Thompson scored in the last seconds of extra time they will stay with me forever so R.I.P. Albert and thanks for the memories you gave me while supporting the Vale.

After long deliberation and thought............And looking in an old programme ! Your quite right Smith was a left winger, funny how your memory plays tricks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bycars rob said:

I wasn`t around for the Liverpool game but with you on Horton and the other heartbreaking match for me was the play off final defeat to West Brom.

Same here about West Brom, especially after the manner of the defeat with "Look at Me" ref Roger Millward and his dubious decision-making, and the previous week when we beat Stockport in the Autoglass.

Anyroad, makes it all the sweeter to think of the good times - and Albert and that Vale side gave us plenty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    • Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please - Contact us here
    • If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here
    • Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here
  • Friends of OVF



×
×
  • Create New...