onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Smurthwaite

bertthejanitor

Advert

On 31/08/2020 at 19:59, bertthejanitor said:

Wigan fan here. Smurthwaite's name has been mentioned as a possible buyer for the club.

Wondering what your thoughts are on him

Don’t worry, the EFL won’t let him get involved in another club until the payments to him for Vale Park are complete. I think it’s another two years. 

I wonder what it was about the Pie Eaters that first attracted Smurthwaite to them? 🤔

Bert, there isn't a barge pole long enough.

Difficult to know where to start but Krasner was one of the administrators initially when Smurthwaite bought us out of admin in 2012. His first preferred bidder went AWOL one day when all he had left to do was transfer the money.

- Ruined a very competitive league one side by offering very low contracts on purpose to shift a manager who at the time was doing alright 

- Hired a manager because he apparently had a phone call from Jose Mourinho who told him he was good and would even loan us some of the United kids at the time

- Gave big contracts to failed European academy footballers who had no experience in English football 

- Relegation 

- Claimed he was beaten up by Vale fans despite being no evidence of this happening nor CCTV showing it

- Claimed to have been run over outside the club without any evidence and no arrests being made

- Selling out of date food at the Kiosks and pocketing the money himself 

More twist and turns then a Soap Opera and there's definitely more he did during his time as owner.  All the best to Wigan and hopefully you get a decent owner 

I'll need a few pints now to forget about the Norman saga again.

Wigan fan here. Smurthwaite's name has been mentioned as a possible buyer for the club.

If he buys you he will divide the club into separate trading entities , kiosk, wedding, shop sales etc then claim he is putting money into the club when in essence it’s the money from these separate trading companies

45 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

- Ruined a very competitive league one side by offering very low contracts on purpose to shift a manager who at the time was doing alright 

- Hired a manager because he apparently had a phone call from Jose Mourinho who told him he was good and would even loan us some of the United kids at the time

- Gave big contracts to failed European academy footballers who had no experience in English football 

- Relegation 

- Claimed he was beaten up by Vale fans despite being no evidence of this happening nor CCTV showing it

- Claimed to have been run over outside the club without any evidence and no arrests being made

- Selling out of date food at the Kiosks and pocketing the money himself 

More twist and turns then a Soap Opera and there's definitely more he did during his time as owner.  All the best to Wigan and hopefully you get a decent owner 

I'll need a few pints now to forget about the Norman saga again.

This is all true.

However if it's a choice between Wigan going the way of Bury then I guess you have little option but to learn to live with him.

One thing I can say about him is that he was here for six years and the player's wages always got paid. So he's better than the Macclesfield chairman.

He did threaten to put the club into administration when the fans turned against him completely and only changed his mind when our current owners came in with an extremely generous offer.

Ultimately it's not your decision anyway. But if he does take over then expect there to be interesting times ahead!

Just hope it's only someone having a laugh.  He will rip the club apart and take money out of the club as quickly as possible as he has never lost on a deal.

When the fans start to go against him, he will no doubt call them racists and trouble makers.  Start abusing fans on the radio.

Did it at our club. 

Good luck to you fans, there are better owners out there.  See our new owners - they seem to know how to run a club properly.

you might as well pack up now and jump off your sad little pier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nice pies though (oh sorry didnt mean to mention pies) thats another tale!!!!!!!!!!!

df8909e602590487cfe8c76101f5a938.jpg

If I could use every curse word available I would. He's an absolute disgrace.

Did not care ONE BIT about making the club competitive, all he cared about was making money for himself.

We had nearly £2.5m in unbudgeted income one season through player sales, sell on fees and a cup run and NOTHING got reinvested.

He split the entire football club into different legal entities (ground, catering, club shop etc). Our Chief Executive confirmed that not all of the money made by the club stayed in the club. Basically if the club shop made a sale, he would take the profit out of that entity and put it back into the club as a "directors loan" which amassed £3m+ in the end. He then had the nerve to add this onto the asking price.

One of his many quotes was that "he'd never lost out on a business deal and doesn't intend on starting now" - ie he is only in it for himself to make money.

Any sellable assets you have will be sold, and there won't be any money to reinvest. Why spend £000's on a player when you can pocket it yourself?

Why bother looking after the players nutrition before a game by hiring a chef when you can just feed them out of date pies that weren't sold?

Why bother engaging with the fans when you can just ridicule and insult them. Telling national news we're all racists, making up stories about being attacked and being run over by Vale fans.

There are honestly 100s of these stories that you wouldn't believe unless you're a Vale fan that went through it.

If our current owners hadn't paid the "ransom" to get rid of him we wouldn't exist now. They paid massively over the odds and he made a profit on us.

Did I mention he also threatened to liquidate us. Imagine that!

I despise the man.

Steer well clear. Your fans deserve better than this.

Its given me PTSD thinking about him.

Archived