onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FLC R1 Scunthorpe U v Port Vale

Fosse69

On a serious note, Robinson needed a goal under his belt. Any striker who signs for a new club will. Just to break your duck and take some pressure off. He probably couldn't have asked for it to sit up any nicer.

Great cross from Worrall, similar to the assist Conlon provided for him at Northampton.

Getting through to the second round should also eat up another game of Pope's ban and make him available one league game earlier.

Advert

I think when you’ve become accustomed to watching Bayern Munich on TV every 3/4 days it’s easy to become critical of an EFL Cup games between two L2 sides. 

Scrappy game generally with possession turned over too frequently by both teams. 

I thought we looked better as the game wore on.   Their goal was poor from us and I felt danger as soon as Colclough got away from Mills. Apart from Brown’s brilliant save two mins later there wasn’t really much else from them to worry us.

Conlon played well as did the two centre backs. Rodney is awkward, unpredictable and occasionally does some very silly things. However.... he is a handful for the opposition and I think will develop into a big player for us.

Glad to get the win when it looked like a game both sides would have been happy take to pens, though credit to Askey for good substitutions.

Also, big shout out to Ryan Lloyd MKII, sorry, Theo Robinson. Hopefully shut a few naysayers up....

Up the Vale!

Decent(ish) performance for a first competitive game as Biddulph says above both sides gave the ball away a lot and as a result although we tried to put some good passing moves together we lacked that final pass a lot of the time. But we still created a few openings.  Cullen seems a little ineffective away from home, although it's perhaps the system we play with the 1 forward and 2 wingers he gets isolated at times but Rodney and Worrall both played well and supported him as best they could.  2 good crosses I think from Worrall led to both goals, and he was his usual industrious self along with Burgess, Joyce and the other defenders.  Brown made one brilliant save just after they equalised which I think was probably better than it looked on TV

Two good poachers goals from Mills and Robinson(nice for him to get off the mark).  Agree on Rodney too he'll be frustrating but looks like he's got some quality moments in him.  As long as it's an assist or a few goals here and there that will do for me!🙂 He'll play a part certainly and looks to have a good turn of pace to run at defenders.  Mills and Fitzpatrick were both solid up against two of the better wingers in this league in Eisa and Gilliead who will be a thorn in most defences sides when they are at it.  We'll play worse than Scunny too I'd wager so all in all good start.  Well done lads!

And Ifollow seemed to hold up well, only buffered once in the whole game!

37 minutes ago, PVFC764 said:

Not seen or heard anything bad said about him.  Only seen good stuff about him and Theo came out and said he had a bad time here and now you will see the best of him.

He's referring to the day he signed when we anticipated Maynard.

Some posters self imploded and wrote the lad off before he'd even kicked a ball. 

2 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

He's referring to the day he signed when we anticipated Maynard.

Some posters self imploded and wrote the lad off before he'd even kicked a ball. 

Broadly speaking both Maynard and Robinson have had very similar careers with very similar records. The big difference is Maynard looks pedigree whereas Robinson looks a bit of a mongrel. I'm pretty confident Robinson will score goals at this level.

12 minutes ago, ginginator said:

Draw for 2nd and 3rd rounds tomorrow, after the Brentford/Wycombe tie. (approx 13.45)

2nd round ties played 15/16th September

3rd round 22/23rd September

It is what it is but I'd be really upset if we got a big un with no fans. Or a ground I've never been. 

Nothing can do but what a waste if we get a biggy 

9 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

It is what it is but I'd be really upset if we got a big un with no fans. Or a ground I've never been. 

Me too OR even worse Stoke.

For the 1st competitive game of the season we did OK. I was little disappointed by our 2nd half play and thought we should have done better to control the game. Final ball and decision making to improve with set-pieces but this which will come with more competitive games.

The biggest plus for me though is even without Monty, Amoo, Pope & Manny we where still able to field a strong team with some very good players to bring. I think we are looking in good shape for the season. 

Archived