Just starting the usual thread with an interesting conspiracy theory.  Throughout the summer we have seen the ongoing saga of the Newcastle takeover.  Now I understand that there are perfectly valid reasons to be concerned about the Saudi involvement.  However, it looked to be going ahead with "no red card" issues until Gary Hoffman was appointed chairman of the Premier League at the end of August.  Hoffman has strong links with Barclays who in turn have strong links with Qatar.  Suddenly, all sorts of road blocks were put in the way of the takeover.  Apparently certain other Prem clubs, one of which was Liverpool, objected to the takeover although what it had to do with them is a mystery. 

Newcastle fans and a number of MPs petitioned the Premier League to explain why the owners and directors test was not passed, despite the consortium claiming they had answered all the questions the Prem League had asked.  Over 100,000 people signed the fans petition and Chi Onwura, the MP for Newcastle Central has started her own petition demanding transparency and accountability from the Premier League.  It looks like the Premier League has taken umbrage at this.  17 live Prem games were announced a few days ago - Newcastle are one of only two teams who will not have a live game between now and the end of October.  I suspect this is merely a coincidence.

Its no coincidence.  The Premier League is becoming a cartel.

I understand that there are issues surrounding Saudi sportswashing but if they are going to continue to allow Man City to carry on with Saudi owners then they should let the  Newcastle deal through.

1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:

Its no coincidence.  The Premier League is becoming a cartel.

I understand that there are issues surrounding Saudi sportswashing but if they are going to continue to allow Man City to carry on with Saudi owners then they should let the  Newcastle deal through.

Two wrongs do not make a right.

• Like 1