Ally Simcock defects from Labour to The Tories?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Without wishing to take sides, what Ally has done is no different to what many previously staunch Labour voters in the city did at the last election.  That said, I firmly believe that as an elected re

As it stands, as a councillor, I may, as you correctly point out, vote against my party if I feel it goes against the interests of my constituents.  I don't need to switch my party allegiances to do t

She signed up to represent Labour and the policies they had. If she wanted to be on the council as an individual, she had that choice. So no you are wrong. Resign then put the seat up for re election.

Her business. It's a free country.  Not a subject for discussion here I would suggest. From son of a miner.
Why not a subject for discussion here? It's in the off topic forum.

It may be a free country but she was elected as a Labour Party candidate supporting their policies and manifesto. Her constituents didn't vote Tory. If she had any decency about her, she would step down as a councillor and trigger a bi-election.
  • Like 1

Fair enough, 

21 minutes ago, Smallthorne Dog said:

Why not a subject for discussion here? It's in the off topic forum.

It may be a free country but she was elected as a Labour Party candidate supporting their policies and manifesto. Her constituents didn't vote Tory. If she had any decency about her, she would step down as a councillor and trigger a bi-election.

50 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Her business. It's a free country.  Not a subject for discussion here I would suggest. From son of a miner.

Reaction from someone out of the country, unaware of the deceit and cronies created by this inept Government. Ally Simcock do you know what you are doing?

• Like 1

Without wishing to take sides, what Ally has done is no different to what many previously staunch Labour voters in the city did at the last election.  That said, I firmly believe that as an elected representative, if you've been voted in, and then subsequently change your political allegiance it should result in you automatically losing your position and a new election taking place, as you can no longer represent the people who voted for you.

I would say this to Ally, do the decent thing, stand down and let the voters of your ward decide if they still want you represeting them but now as a Tory.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tommytunstall said:

Reaction from someone out of the country, unaware of the deceit and cronies created by this inept Government. Ally Simcock do you know what you are doing?

I did apologize once I realized it was a local issue, Being out of "the' country doesn't mean you are not entitled to an opinion. Ah, wait.... that no taxation without representation thing. Much taxation no representation. No vote in anything for 30 years for simply taking the step to work and raise your kids, buy your house,  in a different country. Broaden your horizons, learn a new language, culture... I am quite aware what is going on in the UK, And NL. Just don't get any say on any of it. Or Brexit. Which leaves me in the position of having to make an appointment to get my fingerprints taken to stay in the country I have lived and worked in for 30 years.

That is what out of "the" country means. Terrific.

Edited by toyahw
  • Confused 1

Why would anyone react "confused"? Seems pretty simple to me.  I apologized for fiddling in local S-o-T politics. And pointed out some annoying consequences of taking up free movement and moving abroad? Not sure why that should be "confusing".

If it is the no vote thing... that is just fact.  No vote. Thirty years. No vote. 

Edited by toyahw

5 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Without wishing to take sides, what Ally has done is no different to what many previously staunch Labour voters in the city did at the last election.  That said, I firmly believe that as an elected representative, if you've been voted in, and then subsequently change your political allegiance it should result in you automatically losing your position and a new election taking place, as you can no longer represent the people who voted for you.

I would say this to Ally, do the decent thing, stand down and let the voters of your ward decide if they still want you represeting them but now as a Tory.

Not too sure why I opened this post as it's not my thing. Never heard of Ally Simcock but I assume she is an MP. In the UK we vote for an individual not a party list. As such what party she is a member of is irrelevant and so there is no need for her to stand down.  I understand the argument that some people voted for her only on the basis of her party. My opinion is the rise of voting purely on party grounds does lead to the rise of corruption among elected officials as there is a dislocation between there own integrity and behaviour and the reason why people vote for them.  Generally I'd prefer an MP who changed party allegiance to one who didn't as these decisions are normally done from principle. For years I didn't vote for my local MP because I knew from dealing with him many years ago he was a pretty dishonest individual. During his tenure there were times I wanted his party to win elections but there was no way I wanted him as my representative. 

In the UK when a member of parliment dies we don't hand the seat to party placed replacements we (the electorate) pick an individual. Otherwise unless they commit a crime  which disqualifies someone from being an MP they serve the term they NOT their party were elected to serve. As such as an electorate our job should really be to pick the individual not the party we want to represent us. 

1 hour ago, geosname said:

It's not unusual for a politician to jump ship..... it's not unusual for a politician to continue in office and not call for an election..... it is not usual for a Labour to Tory jump.

The last MP to jump from Labour to Conservatory was Reg Prentice in 1977 so yeah... pretty unusual I'd say.

But at a local level there are local matters of contention. Not really an endorsement of Boris Johnson or criticism of the Labour shadow cabinet. I don't follow local politics so don't know what the issue is in this case

10 minutes ago, princesslear said:

I thought you had to be elected as a councillor to a particular party by your constituents, wasnt aware you could just 'jump ship????

The individual is what you elect. The party they are a member of is irrelevant.