onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match thread: Port Vale v Rochdale (friendly)

robf

Another good workout agaisnt a full strength Rochdale. We've had some decent results through pre season. 

Worral, Conlon and Mills very good today and Dino looks very capable as backup and I thought Whitehead looked good. 

I think Smith and Brisley look a good partnership and both Fitzpatrick and Crookes played well at left back. 

Askey has some decisions to make as no one has let themselves down and we were missing Gibbons, Manny, Cullen and Montano. 

Advert

A good workout today. I was impressed with  Vale's play generally-looked comfortable on the ball and signs of some pace at times.  Obviously not a ful-bloodied measurement, but Rochdale are clearly a good footballing outfit and a win's a win even in a friendly!  Has given me some hope for the coming season.  Thanks for the opportunity of watching Vale live!

2 minutes ago, j_grainger10 said:

Another good workout agaisnt a full strength Rochdale. We've had some decent results through pre season. 

Worral, Conlon and Mills very good today and Dino looks very capable as backup and I thought Whitehead looked good. 

I think Smith and Brisley look a good partnership and both Fitzpatrick and Crookes played well at left back. 

Askey has some decisions to make as no one has let themselves down and we were missing Gibbons, Manny, Cullen and Montano. 

Nice problems to have.

2 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

Solid enough performance against a league one side. 

Thought Dino , Whitehead and Mills had a good game.  Rodney definitely looks a player just needs time to develop his game.

Very impressed with Conlon , hopefully he can chip in a few goals and be a big player this season. 

Bring on the season 

I too thought Rodney looked a handful up front--good physicality and also looked pacey.  Missed a couple of sittersirst half but at least got himself in positions to have a go!

Lots of positives. Particularly the quality of the squad. Whoever plays seems to be able to ‘pretty much’ do a decent job.

Thought all this seasons signings did a good job. 

Looking good for start of the season. Let’s get everyone back from injury and match fit and should have a good chance this season.

UTV

2 minutes ago, Topher said:

not sure Conlon should be taking both penalties when we've got new strikers who could do with goals under their belts going into the season. Rodney looked a bit put out by it as well. generally p encouraging though

I'm sure when he tucks them both away like he did.

Well done, Vale - decent result against another higher placed team. We might have been outplayed in midfield but that's Rochdale's strength and we didn't let their dominance tell. Thought the second half was a bit scrappier but in the end it was a fair result. Doubt though whether we will get those penalty decisions in the League with the usual standard of reffing.

Thought Conlon faded as the second half went on but Mills, up against a really tricky player (Barr?) in the second half, did very well. Still a bit concerned about our creativity in midfield and the lack of chances from open play though Amoo was unlucky with his header and Popey must have thought he'd got the third until Whitehead took it right off his head. Rodney looked very raw but nothing that can't be improved with good coaching and a few games. Thought he looked much better through the middle than playing wide and he will do well for us, particularly coming off the bench when the opposition is tiring. Time will tell.

No Gibbo, Montano or Cullen today - hope that they are fit for next week.

Now for the real stuff!

Certainly a good workout. Thought we looked better with Rodney down the middle than Robinson. Conlon had a really solid game. Thought both fullbacks did quite well and both centrehalf combinations looked good. Fortunately for Pope he has another 5 weeks to get down to his fighting weight!

If fit the back 4 and the midfield probably picks itself. What will exercise Askey's mind this week will be the composition of his front 3. Worrall definitely plays. How fit are Cullen and Robinson? Does he try and get Rodney's strength and work rate into the team? Is he going to stick with Amoo?

3 minutes ago, JRC said:

Certainly a good workout. Thought we looked better with Rodney down the middle than Robinson. Conlon had a really solid game. Thought both fullbacks did quite well and both centrehalf combinations looked good. Fortunately for Pope he has another 5 weeks to get down to his fighting weight!

If fit the back 4 and the midfield probably picks itself. What will exercise Askey's mind this week will be the composition of his front 3. Worrall definitely plays. How fit are Cullen and Robinson? Does he try and get Rodney's strength and work rate into the team? Is he going to stick with Amoo?

Amoo has to play just for his unpredictability. The only choice Askey really has right now is Cullen or Robinson up top. Personally I'd go with Cullen so long as he's fit.

Much improved second half. Joyce pulling the strings. Made all the difference. Other players look better when he's around.

Amoo and Wozza on the wings also better.

Rodney looked decent throughout and especially down the middle. Still raw, but he'll do for me.

Generally looked good defensively.

Stopped them playing out from the back second half. First half we were mainly restricted to long ball and looked 4th division. All changed second half.

I thought Mills played really well and Visser pulled off some good saves(could challenge Brown for once),Fitzpatrick was improved on his first game when clearly unfit(where he was slated by some),Conlon really good and have to be honest i think DTS has done himself some good this pre season,came on chased everything with a couple of good touches,could he manage to get involved in the squad this season and become a surprise like Burgess was last season. It looks like Hurst and RCG will be left out of the squad(would that allow a couple of loans in as not up to date on the new rules)

7 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Amoo has to play just for his unpredictability. The only choice Askey really has right now is Cullen or Robinson up top. Personally I'd go with Cullen so long as he's fit.

Right now, it will be Rodney to start.

Cullen injured and little game time.

Theo nowhere near ready.

Tom not available.

Archived