onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match thread: Port Vale v Rochdale (friendly)

robf

Not going to single our players who have played as its a friendly for a reason and the objective is only to get up to match speed. I thought overall we did OK today. Defence is very well drilled whichever combination of defenders are used however I do think two or three look a little rusty still. 

I am also getting a little concerned about our injuries though at present with a lack of match practice in particular affecting Cullen & Manny. Its going to be very difficult for those to get up to speed quickly.

Advert

27 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I suppose it’s to build up fitness. It’s certainly far more beneficial that practice matches and inter squad games. 

But to me they are all pretty much the same thing.

There is no competitive edge to these games, there is little pace  and there is certainly no desire to win the game at all costs which you would expect in a “proper” match. 

So if nothing is on the game, what do we learn from players attitude in these fixtures for when it really matters ? 

Nothing.

Only a Vale fan would criticise a penalty taker for taking and scoring both

not sure Conlon should be taking both penalties when we've got new strikers who could do with goals under their belts going into the season. Rodney looked a bit put out by it as well. generally p encouraging though

4 hours ago, Topher said:

not sure Conlon should be taking both penalties when we've got new strikers who could do with goals under their belts going into the season. Rodney looked a bit put out by it as well. generally p encouraging though

Important that the penalty takers are sorted before a game, position does not matter.  Alf Ramsey  the right back took penalties for Spurs and England, power and accuracy unstoppable.

Thought we looked organised and played well. Mills looks a handy player and isn’t even going to be first choice right back. 
We have a lot of depth all over the pitch because we have so many players who can play in more than one position. We just need another winger to replace Browne. 

4 hours ago, davehartshill said:

Thought we looked organised and played well. Mills looks a handy player and isn’t even going to be first choice right back. 

With Gibbons being out injured for a weeks he’ll certainly start as first choice. The rest will be up to him.

21 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Important that the penalty takers are sorted before a game, position does not matter.  Alf Ramsey  the right back took penalties for Spurs and England, power and accuracy unstoppable.

We can have Scott "Chilavert" Brown taking them once the season starts for all I care, but the second penalty was a good chance for a striker to get among the goals and build some confidence. Mad that people don't think that's a good idea.

56 minutes ago, Topher said:

We can have Scott "Chilavert" Brown taking them once the season starts for all I care, but the second penalty was a good chance for a striker to get among the goals and build some confidence. Mad that people don't think that's a good idea.

I don't think Cullen or Robinson have ever been regular penalty takers. I think Cullen did it for one season at Blackpool. I think Robinson has taken odd ones but never been the regular penalty taker. It is entirely feasible that Conlon is the current designated player, in which case taking them in a match seems reasonable.

15 hours ago, Vale Fan In DGardens said:

Watched the game a pre season friendly first one in years .

Rochdale  controlled the game for long periods and created a fair few chances for the away side ,but you have to take in account they are a league above so what I saw from Vale when they had a go a decentish level of creativity.

As regards individuals two top notch saves at 0-0 from Visser kept the scores level .

Mills has a lovely footballing way ,yes at times defensively found wanting but looks a very tidy player on the ball who could well be a player who sets up a fair few goals for the Vale  these next few seasons .

Legge Brisley and Fitzpatrick solid enough .

As regards midfield I felt that Rochdale were better than us in there but we battled manfullly and worked as hard as we could .

Conlon gets better every time he steps on the pitch his two penalties beautifully taken (second one should never have being awarded very soft in my opinion).

Rodney buzzed around should have made the goalie  work when burgess put it on a plate for him fist half but not bothered about him missing chances  as long as he is in there the goals will come .

All in all a good workout the result better than the performance but lots to work on to be a top 6 side this season if that’s possible on that showing mid table .

I would have fully agreed with you at half time.

Second half we were much better, created more and stopped them playing out from the back. The midfield battle swung Vale's way, with Joyce providing the anchor role from which others could build.

16 hours ago, JRC said:

I think Robinson has taken odd ones but never been the regular penalty taker.

Odd ones like in a pre-season friendly where the main taker has already put one away and it'd be good for his confidence to get on the scoresheet you mean?

16 hours ago, Vale Fan In DGardens said:

All in all a good workout the result better than the performance but lots to work on to be a top 6 side this season if that’s possible on that showing mid table .

Absolute nonsense. There'll be few sides in L2 as good as who we have played in pre-season. How you can have us down as mid-table from a 2-1 win against a League One side who were much closer to full strength than ourselves on the day I'll never know!

16 hours ago, Vale Fan In DGardens said:

Mills has a lovely footballing way ,yes at times defensively found wanting but looks a very tidy player on the ball who could well be a player who sets up a fair few goals for the Vale  these next few seasons .

Getting assists you mean... much like what Gibbo has been doing this last few seasons then? Hopefully Fitzpatrick can be as productive too when going forward.

One thing that Saturday showed is that when the opposition beat the press that it can leave us open. I think that's something that may need addressing. Of course league 2 teams may not be quite as good at playing out from the back like Rochdale were, but if I were an opposition manager I'd be looking at ways to draw in our midfielders and forwards to press and then try to beat it quickly with maybe even a simple long ball.

3 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Getting assists you mean... much like what Gibbo has been doing this last few seasons then? Hopefully Fitzpatrick can be as productive too when going forward.

One thing that Saturday showed is that when the opposition beat the press that it can leave us open. I think that's something that may need addressing. Of course league 2 teams may not be quite as good at playing out from the back like Rochdale were, but if I were an opposition manager I'd be looking at ways to draw in our midfielders and forwards to press and then try to beat it quickly with maybe even a simple long ball.

That's the gamble with using a press at any level. What you need to do to deploy an effective press automatically leaves you men down in more defensive positions. 

On 31/08/2020 at 14:35, Topher said:

Odd ones like in a pre-season friendly where the main taker has already put one away and it'd be good for his confidence to get on the scoresheet you mean?

I think all his penalties have been the last goal of a hat-trick.

Archived