onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match thread: Port Vale v Rochdale (friendly)

robf

34 minutes ago, Topher said:

not sure Conlon should be taking both penalties when we've got new strikers who could do with goals under their belts going into the season. Rodney looked a bit put out by it as well. generally p encouraging though

Marc Bridge Wilkinson was our penalty taker during out LDV success, quite happy for Conlon to keep taking them as long as he hits the net.....

Advert

I’ll echo what most seemed to have posted so far. 

Mills looked very good, hopefully he can keep that up. 

Joyce very good in the middle. 

Thought visser looked excellent. Don’t think he will push brown as brown is class but looks a decent replacement should we need it. 

I did think Rodney and Robinson struggled somewhat though. 

Good win and a good run out. 

Interesting point about the front three.....the back four and midfield from last season pretty much picks itself.....but both Mills and Fitzy are good full back cover and Brisley and Crooke good cover at centre back.....then in midfield certainly a fit Oyeleke and new signing Whitehead will push for games.....however upfront ignoring the suspended Pope there seems to be a good mix between the intelligent footballer front three as it were with Worrall/Cullen/Browne  and the raw pace of the quicks Amoo/Robinson/Rodney...it is a good pick'n'mix set of forwards and at all times as long as there is an "unlocker" and an "inbehind" it prevents a high line and gives room for the draughtsmen to sketch patterns.

Hopefully a solid two weeks of running and boot camp will see Robinson much fitter and Cullen will be back in training next week and without changing the whole team at half time obviously the likes of Browne and Hurst didn't get a run out....interesting to see Trickett-Smith get game time again and did alright and looks like being part of the squad this season when needed.

This season is truncated and there is going to be a lot of midweek games and it really is going to be based on squad strength rather than first 11 and thinking Askey has called it right especially with other teams player turn over and the short pre-season and lack of friendlies the  mostly settled developing team with good additions and reliable cover can get off to a good start and have consistency over the season......feels like it going to be a good season in Burslem.

So pre-season beat two league 1 teams and a Championship team and only lost to Blackpool who took Stoke to penalties and were 3 nil up against Premiership Everton 'cause Pope hit the post from a penalty....played some good stuff today against a top league one full strength team while missin half the first team but mostly it was a good work out and there is two weeks of running and working on shape and sharpness to go.

I only caught the second half of this, but I was pleased with what I saw. I thought we easily matched Dale in midfield - there were spells where they couldn't get out of their half. Conlon played very well - I'm not bothered if he fades 60 - 70 minutes...we have options for a different style and fresh legs. I thought Rodney was good - reminded me of Uche, a little. Worrall, Whitehead, Mills all had reasonable games - maybe distribution was a little sketchy, at times, but they were doing the right things, mainly. Smith and Brisley look like being a good partnership. Dino had a very good game - I hope he and Brown are rotated, a little - probably in the cups - so he gets to maintain match-sharpness. Everyone else did ok...even when Dale got out of their half we defended well enough, and got numbers back. Leon, if I remember rightly, doesn't do great in friendlies? Maybe his concentration isn't as it ought to be...but I have no real concerns about him once the season kicks off. My only concern was Tom Pope...looked a lot off the pace - needlessly criticised DTS (I think?) when he misdirected a ball. With him missing a few games, I feel he's not going to be contributing much until after Christmas? All in all, a decent result against a good outfit. I know Tavares got a mention, but I thought we eased him out of the game, eventually. Very pleased!!  

Friendlies mean nothing. They have no bearing whatsoever on what will or will not happen In the up coming season.

We’re all pleased to see the return of football, of that there is no doubt. But to try and judge from these matches how next season will pan out is foolhardy.

Comment by all means. But, unfortunately, any insight into our new season’s prospects will not be gained from these matches.

The first match of the season will tell you far, far more about our chances  than these pointless games. 

47 minutes ago, Burslem Academicals said:

Hopefully a solid two weeks of running and boot camp will see Robinson much fitter and Cullen will be back in training next week and without changing the whole team at half time obviously the likes of Browne and Hurst didn't get a run out....interesting to see Trickett-Smith get game time again and did alright and looks like being part of the squad this season when needed.

This season is truncated and there is going to be a lot of midweek games and it really is going to be based on squad strength rather than first 11 and thinking Askey has called it right especially with other teams player turn over and the short pre-season and lack of friendlies the  mostly settled developing team with good additions and reliable cover can get off to a good start and have consistency over the season......feels like it going to be a good season in Burslem.

So pre-season beat two league 1 teams and a Championship team and only lost to Blackpool who took Stoke to penalties and were 3 nil up against Premiership Everton 'cause Pope hit the post from a penalty....played some good stuff today against a top league one full strength team while missin half the first team but mostly it was a good work out and there is two weeks of running and working on shape and sharpness to go.

Whilst you can over analyse preseason by the last game you get a feel for where players are in a manager's thoughts. DTS seems to be ahead of Hurst at the moment. 

Certainly the players all seem comfortable in the system. Again we aren't the tallest team but we have some aggression and most of the players look comfortable on the ball. Fingers crossed for next Saturday.

6 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Friendlies mean nothing. They have no bearing whatsoever on what will or will not happen In the up coming season.

We’re all pleased to see the return of football, of that there is no doubt. But to try and judge from these matches how next season will pan out is foolhardy.

Comment by all means. But, unfortunately, any insight into our new season’s prospects will not be gained from these matches.

The first match of the season will tell you far, far more about our chances  than these pointless games. 

First point is valid although the opposition has been much better than normal and the games more competitive than normal.

8 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Getting fit for the season is not pointless. Look at the difference between vale and Blackpool when they had already played a friendly. Massive difference. 

They wouldn’t do friendlys if they weren’t worth it would they? 

6 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

They wouldn’t do friendlys if they weren’t worth it would they? 

To some degree, I take your point. 

However even the fitness thing, which to me could be the only possible benefit, counts for little when basically two totally different teams take to the field in each half !

So how can any fitness for a full competitive game be gained from only 45 minutes activity ? 

3 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

To some degree, I take your point. 

However even the fitness thing, which to me could be the only possible benefit, counts for little when basically two totally different teams take to the field in each half !

So how can any fitness for a full competitive game be gained from only 45 minutes activity ? 

I suppose it’s to build up fitness. It’s certainly far more beneficial that practice matches and inter squad games. 

Archived