onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Soccer Saturday

darren1810

Not a programme i follow as i haven't got sky and probably 75% of the time i'm either home or away following Vale.

I see they have sacked Phil Thompson, Matt Le Tissier and Charlie Nicholas after 50 years service between them.

I have my own ideas which direction Sky will head but i'll keep them private.

Relics of the past/ dinosaurs or because they all played at the top level they know their stuff ? 

Advert

28 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I have my own ideas which direction Sky will head but i'll keep them private.

Not like you to bite your tongue, Darren.

You don't think they'll go for a double act of Scott and Aluko do you?!! 😉 

Have they simply decided that they want to freshen things up and try someone different? Whatever channel they're on they eventually become a bit stale.

But I do like to hear from the pros who have been there and got the tee-shirt, agreed.

Perhaps they want some ex-players from the more recent past who younger viewers will recognise.

Caught between a rock and a hard place, in the main they've been there and done it. Not sure what audience they attract, presume all ages. 

Maybe as you say they'll go for recent pros. 

Just hoping it's not change for the sake of it or to tick boxes. 

This debate has been aired before and if they know the game or have played it to a decent standard I'm not bothered if male, female, black, white or sky blue pink. 

A strong feeling is Le Tissier has been pushed aside because he made his feelings known on his stance on the BLM . Sport and politics don't mix , keep it shut is the message there. 

We've had debates on here on women commentators, BLM and crap pundits 😀

Sky themselves have often gone down the dolly bird look instead of actual knowledge of the game. 

As I said I don't partake as I'm usually at the Vale, just seems a sweeping statement to cull three in one big hit. 

What are those weird human like figures called? Holograms or something like that? We could bring some of the old timers back.

My favourites remain David Coleman (anchor man) and Kenneth Wolstenholme doing the commentary. The latter kept talking to a minimum and didn't rattle on regardless when there was nothing of importance to say. And I always enjoyed the mid-week Sportsnight with Coleman programmes.

I quite liked Barry Davies but there were a lot of local ITV commentators then up and down the country whose names I've largely forgotten. I think Gerald Sinstadt (used to do games on Granada) now lives in Trentham.

I wasn't a Gary Newbon and Hugh Johns fan. Nor did I particularly like Motty but I don't want to upset anyone!

I'm probably showing my age now.

15 minutes ago, TheSage said:

What are those weird human like figures called? Holograms or something like that? We could bring some of the old timers back.

My favourites remain David Coleman (anchor man) and Kenneth Wolstenholme doing the commentary. The latter kept talking to a minimum and didn't rattle on regardless when there was nothing of importance to say. And I always enjoyed the mid-week Sportsnight with Coleman programmes.

I quite liked Barry Davies but there were a lot of local ITV commentators then up and down the country whose names I've largely forgotten. I think Gerald Sinstadt (used to do games on Granada) now lives in Trentham.

I wasn't a Gary Newbon and Hugh Johns fan. Nor did I particularly like Motty but I don't want to upset anyone!

I'm probably showing my age now.

Love the repeats of Star Soccer etc.

John Helm for his Yorkshire accent, and radio Byron Butler and Peter Jones.

Used to love radio commentaries in the 70's from say Bucharest or Kiev, actually sounded like they were on the moon. 

Also, I'm surprised to see three of them be let go and not Merson with them. Nothing against the bloke, I find him quite entertaining and I'm glad he will still be doing his thing. Might they have been a bit concerned about his mental health if they ultimately fired him?

Typical of the left wing liberal bias at (checks notes) er, Sky Sports.

Even though they haven't announced any replacements, it hasn't stopped people from having a good moan on Twitter about female pundits they don't like.

The only one I disagreed with is Thommo. He's good at what he does and he's walked the walk as a player and a coach.Le Tissier I can take or leave (and his comments about the virus recently have been daft) while Champagne Charlie was a bit of an embarrassment.

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

radio Byron Butler and Peter Jones.

Used to love radio commentaries in the 70's from say Bucharest or Kiev, actually sounded like they were on the moon. 

Bryon Butler and Peter Jones were the GOATs of football commentary. Loved listening to them.

As for TV commentating I always enjoyed Barry Davies (...."look at his face, JUST LOOK at his face!) - way better than Motson and his stupid constant chuckling at his own lines. (like some football-nerd version of Beavis......or Butthead!)

Archived