11 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Does this mean if Man Ure or England play in the USA he wouldn’t be able to travel because he has a criminal conviction?

He would have to declare it but an offence like that would unlikely result in refused entry.

I would not want anyone representing England if they've just been convicted of assaulting a police officer and/or trying to bribe them.

But I don't know much of the exact, truthful details apart from hearing the guilty verdict on the radio earlier. Why was he not in court defending himself? What do witnesses say? I really haven't heard a lot about the case.

Superficially it sounds as if he was worked up because of an incident involving his sister, and what the police say seems a bit "forced". But why would they make it all up? There must be a number of witnesses to what went on earlier.

It's bad news for everyone concerned.

Unless he overturns the verdict (don't know how) then he'll have to be dropped from the team.

17 minutes ago, toyahw said:

I will never understand why these overpaid mollycoddled winkers can't just keep out or trouble. Is it that hard? And he's a crap player anyway.

A big majority don't think before they act. Not all footballers are dim wits but a great portion are.

Grealish, Walker, Pope, McLean, Maguire , lots more can be added to the list. 

Even the normally media shy Paul Scholes got involved in crass behaviour during lockdown. 

You simply don't put yourself in a position to be shot at by either the media or some drunkard giving it the big un .

Can't be kept under lock and key and are entitled to a life but football as society is littered with this type of thing .

Wasn't there a football team urinating on people at a horse racing fixture one year ? 

Probably a lot more to this story but it doesn't look great does it 

It seems like a bit of a kangaroo court and I won`t be visiting there. I can`t believe Maguire would say I am the leader of Manchester United and I won`t be a sanctimonious <ovf censored> (for once)and say in the same situation I would have acted very differently. 

• Like 1

This will get overturned in the fullness of time.  Its been rushed through by the looks of it and there is clearly more to this whole thing than has been accounted for so far.

That said, why do people of his profile go to places like this in the first place?

16 hours ago, boslemportvale91 said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12056434/harry-maguire-found-guilty-of-aggravated-assault-resisting-arrest-and-bribery

Picked for the England squad on the same day. Slap on the wrist and a fine no doubt 

No, quite rightly IMO he's been dropped from the England squad.  It doesn't reflect too well on Gareth Southgate either as he should have waited for the court verdict before backing McGuire's version of events--clearly the Greek court disagreed and found him guilty. 

14 hours ago, toyahw said:

I will never understand why these overpaid mollycoddled winkers can't just keep out or trouble. Is it that hard? And he's a crap player anyway.

A £63,000 bar bill spent over five hours tells it's own story.

There are a number of anomalies here that we don't fully understand.  Apparently his sister was injected by two Albanian men and that is what kicked the incident off.  I understand that two plain clothes Police Officers arrived and waved some kind of id card.  Maguire and his brother did not know for certain that they were police officers. 

It is easy to understand how, in those circumstances, people would react quickly and assume that those people in plain clothes may be criminals masquerading as police, especially if they just appeared from nowhere, as seems to be the case.

It seems a strange kind of justice which is delivered so quickly without having the evidence to hand, and without having the accused in court to answer questions and instruct his counsel.

All of the foregoing needs to be questioned in depth, and much of it sounds suspicious.  Additionally, the Police officers were allegedly seen talking to the judge outside of the formality of the trial.  I also understand that if he had apologised then the outcome in court would have been very different.  Any kind of apology obtained under such duress is worth nothing.

Having said all that, he is high profile, and therefore vulnerable to incidents like this and he needs to show good judgement. The problem we have is that footballers are rich, high profile, and famous because of their footballing ability, not for their social skills, or their ability to make sound judgements off the pitch.  Harry Maguire is probably not significantly worse than many others.

If he really said "do you know who I am" then that alone would in the minds of many justify a few days in the cells, which is what he got. I have no sympathy for him if that is the way he spoke, and if he also said he was rich and how much money did they want.  If, he said all those things, then it looks very bad for him.

On balance, on the information I have seen, this look a bit of a 50:50 situation.

Gareth Southgate should have delayed announcing his squad, that was poor judgement by him.  He should have known better.  Harry Maguire should have known better but I think that, on balance, there is some limited mitigation for his behaviour.