onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brian Horton autobiography

robf

On 16/09/2020 at 22:01, RailwayRowdy said:

Horton has had a decent career in football, of that there is no doubt. There is also no doubt that he was a top player, even at the highest national level. However, his management skills left a lot to be desired.

He was the catalyst to our fall from relative grace, yet he still finds other reasons for our demise under his leadership.

I might suggest that playing Liam Burns at centre forward (albeit late in the game) one Friday night near Xmas at Boundary Park and a similar move with Sagi Burton at Northampton may have had more to do with our fall.

I loved the guy as a player for us. Unfortunately I cannot say the same about his Vale managership tenure. To me, he was completely nuts and those wild eyes were something to behold - unless they were transfixed on you.. 

Agreed.

25 years and over 1,000 games in management and what does he have to show for it? One Football League Trophy win with us and one promotion with Hull. Says it all for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Advert

• 1 month later...
I've managed to get my hands on the book. I haven't read it yet but there are a couple of chapters in it about the Vale. Not very comprehensive but he's covering 2000 games in football and enjoyed his time at other clubs like Brighton and Hull as well, but there must be twenty pages or so about the Vale. At a brief glance I didn't see your story, Santa. There is fulsome praise for people like Rudge and Foyle and Bridgy but he clearly fell out big time with Bratt.
Funnily enough, as I said before, I remember clearly the day he signed for the Vale. I was at the ground that day and saw him and Gordon Lee. And again to repeat myself he was a fantastic, mobile all round midfielder, one of our best we've had. He could tackle as well as score goals and had a terrific shot. It was one of my saddest evenings as a Vale fan when I found out that we'd sold him to Brighton. But it was ever thus.
David Pleat has done the forward to the book and describes Horton as "a diamond of a man." His footballing career is pretty remarkable. I think only Ferguson has been involved in more games than Horton. Over 2000 is a hell of a lot. Doesn't he live locally-ish in Macclesfield?
There is a Macc connection. His brother was involved in the running of Macc (Chairman/owner?) and used to run a Ford (?) garage there, I think.

Archived