onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

[FIXED] OVF slow to load

Doha

I've noticed in the last 10 days or so that OVF has been really slow to load on multiple devices, regardless of browser, broadband or mobile data. 

On checking, the ping is allegedly only 15ms with no packet loss but trying to load a page, any page, in a browser can take up upwards of 30 seconds. Again, on multiple devices. A few of those website down checkers actually analyse the site as being down, probably because of confusing the long loading time with an actual timeout. 

Additionally, navigating the forum through a mobile browser leads to lots of 404 pages, i.e. when in the port vale present section and trying to get back to a forum home page to then try to get on to the off topic section. The links, when they actually would load, were just 404'ing. 'Request desktop site' through the browser options would say otherwise but would just continue providing the mobile site. 

I thought I'd mention it as I remember @robf that you've had a lot of hassle from the server provider under performing and breaching their contract with you on previous occasions. Maybe not the best day for the site to be unresponsive given the traffic load expected with the news we're hoping for in a few hours time!

Advert

Folks, I am aware of the issues. Some of the things have been due to me adding things like caching but there are other things I have raised with the hosting company. I will keep ploughing on with trying to fix them...

Just as an update on this...

1. I enabled caching on the blog homepage and I've enabled archiving on the forum which should have put 80-odd% of posts into an archive,

2. I am speaking to three groups - 1) the technical support for Invision (this forum software) 2) tech support for my server and 3) tech support for the adverts. I suspect one of these three is causing it.

3. I've also stripped loads of content off the site to try and help load speeds.

4. Please bear with me though. OVF is a very technical site which has evolved over 25 years and has a heck of a lot of content and some big databases. I'm also not a server/backend expert so I am relying on the tech support guys helping me. If anyone has tech knowledge and can see a glaring error or issue do message me so I can raise it.

Pointing to a server issue at the moment. I upgraded PHP recently and I wonder if that has caused issues. I am in live chat with tech support on this issue. Again, if anyone technical savvy on server issues can help I'd appreciate it as my knowledge is limited.

Tech support have done a load of (really I have no idea but it sounds comprehensive) and rebooted the server. They seem to think this will help a lot with site speed so fingers crossed...

Again, if any of you want to step in and lend a hand technically I'd be happy to receive a message from you. I have a decent knowledge of Wordpress, coding and suchlike but server configuration is beyond me so I don't really know what to look for and ask for.

At the moment - it seems much faster than it was...

However, bear in mind I also have a limited capacity on the server so should we suddenly get 500 extra users when we sign a new striker, it's likely to get slow again regardless of any server optimisation. That's because my server only has limited memory and if too much of it is used by a surge in users it is going to go down no matter what. My goal here is to make it a reasonable speed during average times and hopefully we are a bit better now...

Let me know if the speed's better for you now and I will keep speaking to the tech guys...

1 minute ago, Doha said:

That's sorted it, nice one. 

For now 😉

I think it was either a server configuration or a script I have just shut off. 

It's still a bit "up and down" for me to be honest but hopefully it is now faster at least...

Archived